BCS Bowl Games Set

ShaneDawg85

RShack,

Don't take what I said the wrong way. GT is a fine football team, with one of the best coaches in the country. If I were him though, I wouldn't want the ND job b/c he can do pretty well in Atlanta.

I'm just saying that the most appealing matchup (without getting into the politics of it all) is TCU vs. Boise. I would love to see TCU or Boise thump a BCS school, but I would rather see them play each other b/c the winner will have a legit claim as NC. I look at the Orange as kind of the afterthought BCS bowl. The Sugar and Fiesta are set up the way that most fans want to see it. The top 4, not in the NC game, playing each other. I want the top teams to play each other b/c IMO that's what the games should be about.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's lost in all this is that for the 6th time in 7 years, at least one other team will have a legitimate claim to being the best in college football and not get the chance to prove it.

2009: Alabama or Texas (14-0) NC; TCU/Boise (13-0) will be unbeaten and maybe Cincinatti

2008: Florida NC (13-1); Utah (13-0)

2007: LSU (11-2); Kansas (12-1)

2006: Florida (12-1); Boise State (13-0)

2005: They lucked up and got it right

2004: USC (13-0); Auburn (13-0), Utah (13-0) [i actually call this Auburn's NC, but I might have a bias:D]

2003: LSU (12-1); USC (11-1) [uSC won AP title)

2004 was the biggest farce I've ever seen. Auburn would have beaten either of the two teams in the national championship game and they didn't even get a split national title, but somehow USC was able to get a split title the year before.

/onepete.com rant

2004 was the biggest farce I've ever seen. Auburn would have beaten either of the two teams in the national championship game and they didn't even get a split national title, but somehow USC was able to get a split title the year before.

/onepete.com rant

Wow, that almost puts a tear in my eye coming from a Bama fan.:D FWIW, I'm not totally against the Tide in the NC game.;)

Wow, that almost puts a tear in my eye coming from a Bama fan.:D FWIW, I'm not totally against the Tide in the NC game.;)

Have to give credit where credit is due and they had one helluva team that year. It was still hilarious to watch them have their own national championship parade and give out fake rings though. Who else in the world would do that?

Have to give credit where credit is due and they had one helluva team that year. It was still hilarious to watch them have their own national championship parade and give out fake rings though. Who else in the world would do that?

We were named national champs.........................by Golf Digest, seriously.:laughlol:

I'm just saying that the most appealing matchup (without getting into the politics of it all) is TCU vs. Boise. I would love to see TCU or Boise thump a BCS school, but I would rather see them play each other b/c the winner will have a legit claim as NC. I look at the Orange as kind of the afterthought BCS bowl. The Sugar and Fiesta are set up the way that most fans want to see it. The top 4, not in the NC game, playing each other. I want the top teams to play each other b/c IMO that's what the games should be about.

I agree that the Orange Bowl is an afterthought.

I disagree that "most fans" want to see TCU and Boise play each other. I bet lotsa fans wanna see TCU and Boise each get a shot against a brand name school from a BCS conference. Face it, that Boise-Oklahoma bowl from a couple years ago is one of the all-time favorite bowl games for lots of folks who don't really care about either of those teams.

I also disagree that the winner of Poinsetta Bowl II will have a legit claim to the NC. Some might say they will, but they won't, simply because almost-nobody among BCS schools would play them.

Wow, that almost puts a tear in my eye coming from a Bama fan.:DFWIW, I'm not totally against the Tide in the NC game.;)

Gotta go with the SEC! I'm a Bama fan, and I will root for the SEC when it comes to it. My only exception is Tennessee. I hate Tennessee with a passion and cannot bring myself to root for them ever.

I also disagree that the winner of Poinsetta Bowl II will have a legit claim to the NC. Some might say they will, but they won't, simply because almost-nobody among BCS schools would play them.

I guess it depends on how you define legit claim. In my mind, I could see the winner possibly beating Alabama or Texas, but I guess they won't have a realistic shot to win the AP poll. I look at the same way I do with the 2004 Auburn team. In my mind Auburn won the 2004 NC, and the winner of the Boise/TCU game, along w/ Cincy if they win, could say the same thing.

Does that mean that Duke, Vandy, Northwestern, Baylor and even Temple up until a few years ago aren't/weren't little guys. Cincy may be from a BCS conference, and may be up and coming, but until they get a big win they're a little guy. In fact, Boise and TCU are among the big boys more than Cincy.

In terms of respect by those who only follow the sport from a distance, sure but not in terms of affiliation. If for example Vandy ran the table they would be in the NC game and noone would question it. But it is true that if Cincy beats UF their stature will improve and maybe the next time they are one of 3 undefeated teams they will get a little bit more respect. I believe they finished 2nd in the computer polls but since Texas is a "bigger name" with more hype of course they are behind them in the human polls.

Add to that, Cincy couldn't defeat Virginia Tech last year in the Orange Bowl. Cincy might play in a BCS conference, but until this year, and maybe a year or two prior, the Big East has been held on a lower level than the ACC in terms of recognition and respect.

Only by those with a clear bias. In the last year or two the ACC has slightly out performed the Big East but prior to that the Big East has been the better conference.

Among certain circle the Big East is still a punching bag for criticism. Cincy beating Florida, the defending National Champion and member of the most recognized conference in the country, among some, would be a big-time upset and go a long way to changing that.

Again, clear case of bias and I'm not sure a win against UF would erase it any more than the Big East's best blowing out the Big 12 Champions did in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl or the Big East's best beating the best of the ACC by double digits in the 2006 Orange Bowl or the Big East's best running for almost 400 yards beating the best the SEC had to offer in the 2005 Sugar Bowl. The Big East had a down year this year and I believe it ended up worse than the ACC for the second consecutive year. But I think you'd find that this year as in most years since the ACC raided the Big East that the Big East has consistently been better than at least 2-3 other BCS conferences every year. This year it was clearly better than the B12 and B10.

The Big East has to deal with the bias since the programs don't have the history of those in other conferences but as bad as that is it pales in comparison to what the non BCS teams have to deal with in this broken system.

Again, clear case of bias and I'm not sure a win against UF would erase it

Well, I agree there's bias that downgrades the Big East. But it's kinda understandable, given all the changes in the conference makeup when the best teams left. Not saying it's right, but it is understandable.

At the same time, saying that Cincy beating Florida wouldn't change that any is a reverse-bias about bias, if you ask me. Cincy thumping Florida would be a very big deal.

Well, I agree there's bias that downgrades the Big East. But it's kinda understandable, given all the changes in the conference makeup when the best teams left. Not saying it's right, but it is understandable.

At the same time, saying that Cincy beating Florida wouldn't change that any is a reverse-bias about bias, if you ask me. Cincy thumping Florida would be a very big deal.

It would help, sure, but how much will it change that bias? They ran all over the SEC a few years ago and absolutely dominated Oklahoma two years ago. If those didn't help change things, why would another win over the SEC - this time against their 2nd best team change things?

In terms of respect by those who only follow the sport from a distance, sure but not in terms of affiliation. If for example Vandy ran the table they would be in the NC game and noone would question it. But it is true that if Cincy beats UF their stature will improve and maybe the next time they are one of 3 undefeated teams they will get a little bit more respect. I believe they finished 2nd in the computer polls but since Texas is a "bigger name" with more hype of course they are behind them in the human polls.

That's just not true. In 2004 Auburn ran the table in the SEC and got shut out. They were the best team in the country, but weren't in the "big draw" category of Oklahoma or USC, and Auburn is much higher in the pecking order than Vandy.

Archived