TiredofLosing20

Should the O's have offered 7/120 with a Full NTC to Holliday  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O's have offered 7/120 with a Full NTC to Holliday

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way...1 to many guaranteed years and the NTC is just awful.

I would have given him a 6/96 deal with a 7thyear option...No NTC at all but I would have given him an opt out clause after 3 years, which he could exercise every offseason after the third year is up.

I would have given him a 6/96 deal with a 7thyear option...No NTC at all but I would have given him an opt out clause after 3 years, which he could exercise every offseason after the third year is up.

I hope we try to avoid ever giving those type of clauses especially with a Boras client. If we were legitimate contenders that type of clause would be used to try to hold the O's hostage for a renegotiation.

The no-trade clause now is just a gimmick for more money to waive it.

Yes I would have signed him to that deal.

17 million per year for every year of the contract isn't a bad deal for Holliday who is a gym rat and will stay in shape and thus likely perform at a high abllity throughout that contract.

They will have him under contract until age 36.

Teixeira will also be under contract until age 36 for $60 million more.

I hope we try to avoid ever giving those type of clauses especially with a Boras client. If we were legitimate contenders that type of clause would be used to try to hold the O's hostage for a renegotiation.

So what? He is also likely to not be as good those last few years, so if he has a big third year with us and chooses to leave, then we may be ok.

One thing I would also put in the contract is that if does opt out, that we have the ability to offer arbitration, so we can get picks.

17 million per year for every year of the contract isn't a bad deal for Holliday who is a gym rat and will stay in shape and thus likely perform at a high abllity throughout that contract.

56-4. Are you at least STARTING to realize how far off base you are with your outlook about this team?

So what? He is also to not be as good those last few years, so if he has a big third year with us and chooses to leave, then we may be ok.

One thing I would also put in the contract is that if does opt out, that we have the ability to offer arbitration, so we can get picks.

I actually like this alot. We get him for what will likely be the 3 best years of his contract, and he gets greedy, voids it, and someone else can pay him for his declining years. Great idea. Of course, there is the risk that he falls off dramatically the first 3 years and you're stuck with him for the rest of the deal, but that is a risk whether the opt out is there or not.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/cliff_corcoran/01/05/holliday.cards/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Archived