Is MacPhail the right GM to take this team to the next level?

JTrea81

Is MacPhail still the right GM to take this team to the next level and keep us there?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is MacPhail still the right GM to take this team to the next level and keep us there?

This poll is closed to new votes

With the recent events of the this offseason or (lack there of) and the new information coming to light about the O's international efforts or lack there of, I think the question needs to be raised again.

Fact: He's never completed a 1 for 4 or 5 trade like he would have to to get a premium bat. Keep in mind while MacPhail is a master of trades, it's usually been when he trades an established player for a return of prospects.

Fact: He's never spent more than $27 million dollars on a single free agent that he has been able to land.

Fact: MacPhail is naturally conservative and cautious and does not like taking risks. Especially in the international area where he's said to favor the "needle in the haystack" approach than going after the known talent.

He has said he is more conservative than owner Peter Angelos.

Fact: MacPhail has never built a team that had sustained competitiveness.

Fact: Under Andy MacPhail, the Orioles have not drafted a ML ready position player and although they paid overslot for draftees in the 2009 draft, took what many scouts consider an inferior talent in the 1st round for signability reasons.

So is this really the guy that should be leading this team when all his strengths better apply to tearing one down than building it up?

Is MacPhail really the right GM to add the pieces and parts to get to the playoffs and keep us there?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the recent events of the this offseason or (lack there of) and the new information coming to light about the O's international efforts or lack there of, I think the question needs to be raised again.

Keep in mind while MacPhail is a master of trades, it's usually been when he trades an established player for a return of prospects.

Fact: He's never completed a 1 for 4 or 5 trade like he would have to to get a premium bat.

Fact: He's never spent more than $27 million dollars on a single free agent that he has been able to land.

Fact: MacPhail is naturally conservative and cautious and does not like taking risks. Especially in the international area where he's said to favor the "needle in the haystack" approach than going after the known talent.

Fact: Under Andy MacPhail, the Orioles have not drafted a ML ready position player and although they paid overslot for draftees in the 2009 draft, took what many scouts consider an inferior talent for signability reasons.

So is this really the guy that should be leading this team when all his strengths better apply to tearing one down than building it up?

Is MacPhail really the right GM to add the pieces and parts to get to the playoffs and keep us there?

Where are the positive facts?

Keep in mind while MacPhail is a master of trades, it's usually been when he trades an established player for a return of prospects.

Fact: He's never completed a 1 for 4 or 5 trade like he would have to to get a premium bat.

Fact: Under Andy MacPhail, the Orioles have not drafted a ML ready position player and although they paid overslot for draftees in the 2009 draft, took what many scouts consider an inferior talent for signability reasons.

Time will tell. He has added some key pieces to the team.

Yeah you can say "yes" or "no" or "I don't know" and defend your side.

So let's see your viewpoint.

Trea, the minute you become objective here is the minute you'll get taken seriously on matters such as these.

If I'm a real casual fan, the one that watches a game here and there, doesn't really keep up on all offseason matters...and I log on here and see this poll and what you wrote the first thing I'd think is "Holy bejeebus! Andy MacPhail is tha debbil!"

Which is of course what you want people to think.

But then again, you don't care.

Archived