Is MacPhail the right GM to take this team to the next level?

JTrea81

Is MacPhail still the right GM to take this team to the next level and keep us there?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is MacPhail still the right GM to take this team to the next level and keep us there?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not an open discussion when you limit the posts to things you don't like.

Fact: MacPhail turned Erik Bedard into Adam Jones, Josh Bell, Chris Tillman, Kameron Mickolio, and Tony Butler while potentially getting Bedard back this offseason.

Fact: MacPhail took a chance on Felix Pie and now the Orioles have a good problem in the outfield (overcrowded with talent).

Fact: MacPhail drafted Matusz and Arrieta in 2008 and now they are on the fast track to being a part of the pitching staff long-term.

Fact: MacPhail saw the need for an innings-eater this offseason and acquired a serviceable arm in Kevin Millwood to mentor the young staff.

Fact: MacPhail signed a very good closer in Mike Gonzalez that can take the pressure off the young staff, placing everyone in correct roles.

Fact: Saw the need to retain their own and paid for Roberts and Markakis with their extensions last offseason. That last point needs more seasoning - MacPhail realized what he had in those two players and decided that it was best to retain them rather than face the potential holes in the lineup. Sometimes it's better to recognize what the Orioles do have rather than what they don't have.

I think I've named quite a few positives. Anymore?

The Bedard trade isn't evidence that he can make a reverse one of those.

I would say the last two would be the best evidence that MacPhail is willing to do what it will take.

Gonzalez was a bit of surprise, and extending Markakis was crucial if we wanted to compete in 2011 and beyond. Jones is his next test in that regard.

I think MacPhail has done a pretty good job prior to this offseason. However, I've been unimpressed with this offseason so far. I know there's plenty of time left to address areas of need (for now, and for the future) so I'm not calling this offseason poor yet. I'm not looking for him to sign a player to a seven year contract. I just want certain areas addressed.

I think one of the biggest obstacles in this entire discussion is the fact that the initial poll question is "Is MacPhail the right GM to take this team to the next level?" but what JTrea really wants to know isn't that at all. Like Frobby said, there are a bunch of levels between where the Orioles are and being in the playoffs. The next level is not sucking. Let's get there and then see what happens.

Stop ignoring the question.

Moose you answered "yes." Why? I want to know what you and others who answer yes see in MacPhail that makes you think he can take this team to the next level and keep us there when presented with those facts above.

Look, I'm just trying to help you out here. You wonder why people get irked at you on a regular basis (maybe you don't) and don't take you as seriously as you'd like, I'm just offering some insight as to why.

Straight up? I voted that way cause I knew it was the answer you wouldn't pick.

But since you want answers:

Fact: He's never completed a 1 for 4 or 5 trade like he would have to to get a premium bat. Keep in mind while MacPhail is a master of trades, it's usually been when he trades an established player for a return of prospects.

Like this is a bad thing? Trea, the number one thing that has held this team back for the past two decades is the farm system and lack of talent in it.

Fact: He's never spent more than $27 million dollars on a single free agent that he has been able to land.

Ridiculous. So what? You're accusing him of not spending money? I know it doesn't matter to you, but the Roberts deal was 4/40 and the Nick deal was 6/66. But that doesn't matter to you because it wasn't a big, sexy FA signing. Let's not act like he hasn't spent more than 27 million on a baseball player before.

Fact: MacPhail is naturally conservative and cautious and does not like taking risks. Especially in the international area where he's said to favor the "needle in the haystack" approach than going after the known talent.

He has said he is more conservative than owner Peter Angelos.

I don't mind that he's conservative. I recognize that he thinks that a huge contract can sink a team. But we've been down that road and we know nothing will change your mind about that.

You claim he doesn't take risks but later on in your post you outline that he paid over slot for several picks in this years draft. If that's not the definition of risk, I don't know what is.

I do agree that the lack of international scouting is bad, especially with the Stotle thread.

Fact: MacPhail has never built a team that had sustained competitiveness.

Fact: Under Andy MacPhail, the Orioles have not drafted a ML ready position player and although they paid overslot for draftees in the 2009 draft, took what many scouts consider an inferior talent in the 1st round for signability reasons.

Again, flippin ridiculous. There have only been a select handful of ML ready players in draft history. Even Smoak has needed time in the minors.

Matusz has been as close to "ML ready" as you can get but we all know that you think pitching is overrated...a belief that goes against over 100 years of baseball intelligence and a belief that goes against what made this team so great in the 60's-80's. The greatest baseball minds in history could tell you that you're wrong and you'd have none of it. Then again, I think Earl Weaver knows what he's talking about.

There.

Happy?

I like the level that he's taken the O's up to this point. The farm system has shaped up nicely and is producing and we're not tied down with crappy contracts for past-their-prime ballplayers. So, judging from seasons past, I'd say he's already taken us to the next level. Really that's the toughest level to get through, the "tear down phase", as he calls it. Now we'll see how well this base of players he's assembled does.

I voted no.

I think he is the perfect GM to get us to the brink of contention on a consistent basis.

I think he could do it in any other division.

But I don't think he will do what it takes to get us into consistent contention in this division.

I think our only hope, as long as AM is the GM, is if we hit on almost all of our young talent, which is just so tough to do.

How could anyone possibly vote anything but "I'm not sure"?

My definition of next level is a step above where we are now, and with the moves Andy has made, I think we can reach that level. If your definition of next level is playoffs or even a winning season then I would of voted "I'm not sure" since none of us have a crystal ball.

My definition of next level is a step above where we are now, and with the moves Andy has made, I think we can reach that level. If your definition of next level is playoffs or even a winning season then I would of voted "I'm not sure" since none of us have a crystal ball.
Fair point.

What is the next level? I consider it contention. Not that we are one level below contention right now, but I find it pretty irrelevant to get up to any level that is short of contention.

Archived