Kiffin to USC

CrimsonTribe

Let's set aside the other discussions for a moment and consider the real issue at hand here. Lane Kiffin is making Al Davis look like a smart guy. :eek:

How? Al Davis still hired a guy who had never even been a HC in college, and then ran him out of town. Kiffin seems a little sleazy for sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to say this vindicates Al Davis.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How? Al Davis still hired a guy who had never even been a HC in college, and then ran him out of town. Kiffin seems a little sleazy for sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to say this vindicates Al Davis.

Check your sarcasm radar. Although Al did at least have enough working brain cells left to cut bait and run Kiffin out of Oakland after just 1.5 seasons.

Why anyone would trust their sons to a high profile college coach and then be surprised when they jump ship at the first chance of a better gig is beyond me.

Parents, fans, and players, these high profile coaches like Kiffin, Saban, Rodriguez and their ilk only care about their bottom line and that's their pocketbooks. As long as you can accept that, by all means, bring them in and they'll do well while they're at your program, but don't be all shocked when they pull out.

Since big time money has come into the college coaching ranks, it's no surprise that we have the new mercenary coaches for hire. The days of Paterno and Bowden are quickly coming to an end at major college sports.

Why anyone would trust their sons to a high profile college coach and then be surprised when they jump ship at the first chance of a better gig is beyond me.

Parents, fans, and players, these high profile coaches like Kiffin, Saban, Rodriguez and their ilk only care about their bottom line and that's their pocketbooks. As long as you can accept that, by all means, bring them in and they'll do well while they're at your program, but don't be all shocked when they pull out.

Since big time money has come into the college coaching ranks, it's no surprise that we have the new mercenary coaches for hire. The days of Paterno and Bowden are quickly coming to an end at major college sports.

I agree with this Tony but I would take it a step further and ask why anyone would trust the ADs and college presidents of these universities as well...After all, those guy are the true "slimbags" in all of this IMO.

They will get rid of a coach in a second and they will go after someone else's coach without hesitation.

I think the coaches are at least as much as the scumbags in cases like this SG. I'm not a fan of coaches being able to sign long-term contracts/extensions and then just be able to get out of them whenever they like for a job they like better. I get it in many cases (leaving small school for a big one), but some guys do in really slimy ways imo.

I also don't like how contracts mean very little to coaches (in the pro's too), while players are much more restricted in both college and the pro's. If a guy who came to play for a coach wants to leave when his coach does, he has to sit out a year, I don't think that's fair.

With all that said, what Kiffin did sucks for Tenn and their players, but it is understandable considering his experience there. So I get the anger, I'm not sure if I like the hire as a USC fan, I guess it will largely depend on if he keeps them out of trouble. He can recruit and coach well along with the staff he has imo.

I think the coaches are at least as much as the scumbags in cases like this SG. I'm not a fan of coaches being able to sign long-term contracts/extensions and then just be able to get out of them whenever they like for a job they like better. I get it in many cases (leaving small school for a big one), but some guys do in really slimy ways imo.

I also don't like how contracts mean very little to coaches (in the pro's too), while players are much more restricted in both college and the pro's. If a guy who came to play for a coach wants to leave when his coach does, he has to sit out a year, I don't think that's fair.

With all that said, what Kiffin did sucks for Tenn and their players, but it is understandable considering his experience there. So I get the anger, I'm not sure if I like the hire as a USC fan, I guess it will largely depend on if he keeps them out of trouble. He can recruit and coach well along with the staff he has imo.

I agree. If the NCAA is going to let coaches hop from one school to another in the middle of a contract, then a player should be able to transfer in that situation without having to sit and lose a year of eligibility.

Archived