Vasquez for ACC POY

sportsfan8703

The "fire Gary" crowd disappeared quickly, didn't they. I'm with you Rob, I've been begging Maryland to listen to the fans that wanted Gary fired for years..please, get rid of the guy.

The "fire Gary" crowd always infuriated me. The guy brought us a national title and because we miss the tourney a couple of years (barely even), they want his head on a plate.

Maybe I'm just an old softy, but unless Gary has a few horrible... and I mean horrible years, then I think he has earned the right to stay as long as he wants. In fact, I really hate thinking about a Maryland team NOT being coached by Gary.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "fire Gary" crowd always infuriated me. The guy brought us a national title and because we miss the tourney a couple of years (barely even), they want his head on a plate.

It was more than that (I'm a Gary fan) I think a lot was due to the fact that we have such great high school players in this region...and they're all going to other schools and not even thinking about MD.

Kevin Durant, Ty Lawson, Rudy Gay are 3 right off the top of my head...can you imagine how much better MD would have been with just ONE of them?

Look at Rivals top 100 every year...at least 5-10 players are from this area.

It was more than that (I'm a Gary fan) I think a lot was due to the fact that we have such great high school players in this region...and they're all going to other schools and not even thinking about MD.

Kevin Durant, Ty Lawson, Rudy Gay are 3 right off the top of my head...can you imagine how much better MD would have been with just ONE of them?

I'd suggest removing Rudy Gay from that list. He doesn't count for many reasons the NCAA doesn't want to investigate :P

Kevin Durant was a one and done, correct? That would've bothered me to no end to have a guy for one year and then he goes to the NBA. I like having kids that stay and we can get to know them.

And what about the Gilchrist class? We were supposed to have this sick incoming class that included the #2 shooting guard behind LEBRON JAMES. So yeah he was actualy the #1 that went to college.

Then you've got Garrison, from the MD area and Gilchrist from VA. And that class didn't really amount to much.

People need to just realize that Gary's not the best recruiter in the world. He's a much better on court coach and teacher.

I stand by Gary 100% of the time. He's meant way too much to this program not to. And when you're a fan of the Orioles, Raiders and Wizards... well, the Terps and Gary are a breath of fresh air.

Kevin Durant was a one and done, correct? That would've bothered me to no end to have a guy for one year and then he goes to the NBA. I like having kids that stay and we can get to know them.

And what about the Gilchrist class? We were supposed to have this sick incoming class that included the #2 shooting guard behind LEBRON JAMES. So yeah he was actualy the #1 that went to college.

Then you've got Garrison, from the MD area and Gilchrist from VA. And that class didn't really amount to much.

People need to just realize that Gary's not the best recruiter in the world. He's a much better on court coach and teacher.

I stand by Gary 100% of the time. He's meant way too much to this program not to. And when you're a fan of the Orioles, Raiders and Wizards... well, the Terps and Gary are a breath of fresh air.

Now that is it abundantly clear that Greivis' jersey will be retired (Gary called him a top 5-7 Terp ever), will it be hung on Senior night? I'd say that he has definitely warranted such an honor on the night that it supposed to be about him (and Hayes/Milbourne).

What is the protocol for doing this? Have they hung any other jerseys on Senior night?

I'd suggest removing Rudy Gay from that list. He doesn't count for many reasons the NCAA doesn't want to investigate :P

Spot on. Any one familiar with the AAU scene could probably figure it out, interesting that certain coaches get a pass from the NCAA or at least they look the other way on certain things.

JMO, but Grevis has really come a long way this year. No one does more for his team, and I am a die hard Terp fan so I am biased but Singler has 2 other stars with him, while Grevis is surrounded by role players and a star in the making with Jordan Williams..

Last night was a perfect example of the growth of Grevis. Instead of shooting 25 times when the Tigers were clearly hedging on every curl, hand checking like crazy, he slowed the game down on half court sets and picked the Tigers apart.

Grevis is the ACC POY.

However I do not think he gets it, because he is not liked by many around the conference.

One thing is for sure about Greivis...MD fans who complain about him as much and to the level they do really know nothing.

I can see how he can be frustrating but MD is an NIT team, AT BEST, with him..and really, they probably aren't even an NIT team.

For years, I have had to defend him and Gary on this board...and I don't even like them! lol

Oh well...Be careful what you wish for is all I am saying.

I was at the game last night. Grievis left the floor screaming and slapping fans hands. The guy behind says "Oh look at Vasquez hot dogging it up." If Vasquez and this team hasn't won you over as a fan, then you are not a MD fan. If Greivis had Hayes' personality we would be an NIT team. We need his passion.

I was at the game last night. Grievis left the floor screaming and slapping fans hands. The guy behind says "Oh look at Vasquez hot dogging it up." If Vasquez and this team hasn't won you over as a fan, then you are not a MD fan. If Greivis had Hayes' personality we would be an NIT team. We need his passion.

I agree with all of this.

He is so unappreciated by too many MD fans.

This has been the major complaint with many people...people feel we need to be in the upper echelon of college basketball, with the Duke's, UNCs, and UConns of the world...and we aren't. A big reason for this is because of the lack of recruiting.

I love Gary...but it pains me every year to see local superstars choose other schools over MD...and not even be INTERESTED in going to College Park.

There are 10 players from MD on the 2010 top 150...not one picked or is still seriously considering MD. 10 players in our own state then throw in another 10-12 from VA/DC that aren't coming to MD. We have 2 players in the top 150...one is from VA...the other is from Arizona. :confused:

LOL...My god, you know nothing about basketball.

Can you read pro? Look at his stats, granted he played 1 yr maybe 2 but he was a bust up until the accident. Hurley was the same, although he was small for the NBA and got hurt . That must of been before you graduated from high school.

I do believe I have seen more Terps games and probably seen JW play more times in person then you, I do know a little about the game, just am not the stat whore

Can you read pro? Look at his stats, granted he played 1 yr maybe 2 but he was a bust up until the accident. Hurley was the same, although he was small for the NBA and got hurt . That must of been before you graduated from high school.

I do believe I have seen more Terps games and probably seen JW play more times in person then you, I do know a little about the game, just am not the stat whore

Wow. I'm not normally one to be on SG's side, but even if I had no opinion already and was making a choice, I'm not choosing your side.

This has been the major complaint with many people...people feel we need to be in the upper echelon of college basketball, with the Duke's, UNCs, and UConns of the world...and we aren't. A big reason for this is because of the lack of recruiting.

I love Gary...but it pains me every year to see local superstars choose other schools over MD...and not even be INTERESTED in going to College Park.

There are 10 players from MD on the 2010 top 150...not one picked or is still seriously considering MD. 10 players in our own state then throw in another 10-12 from VA/DC that aren't coming to MD. We have 2 players in the top 150...one is from VA...the other is from Arizona. :confused:

Well, we're boned.

Or based on history, likely the opposite :laughlol:

Can you read pro? Look at his stats, granted he played 1 yr maybe 2 but he was a bust up until the accident.

Player A: First 75 games, started 54. 9.5 PPG, 4.7 APG. A/T ratio above 2.

Player B: First 71 games, started 6. 7.6 PPG, negative A/T ratio.

Player A (who only played 75 games): Jay Williams.

Player B (who played 71 his rookie season): Some other guy.

The first season you see somebody doesn't make them a bust.

I guess you dont rememeber reading about how he wasnt getting it done? I do.

Now does this mean he would of been a bust had he not got hurt? No, but he did get hurt and was a bust.No one will know what he would of done.

Kobe was coming out if high school, wasnt ready for the NBA, Jason had had a great career at Duke, 4 yrs, He was expected to do better then he did.

Archived