Well, at least MD fans are consistent

Didn't you already know that Duke is holier than everyone? It's a well known fact that Maryland students are thoughtless rioting pigs, while Duke students are composed, sensible, gentleman and ladies.

Duke fans always behave appropriately and know the correct way of doing things in any situation that may occur during a college basketball season.

Especially the ones that went to Towson ;)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get that other schools do off-color things, I do. But I can't think of the last game I watched where I could hear FU chants coming through the broadcast that loudly and clearly (and that often). I really don't see a way to describe that as anything but immature, classless, and disrespectful. It's not even witty-heckling...it's just crass and ignorant.

The bonfires and whatnot afterwards are no big deal (for the most part), but the in-game stuff reflects very poorly on the fan base.

I get that other schools do off-color things, I do. But I can't think of the last game I watched where I could hear FU chants coming through the broadcast that loudly and clearly (and that often). I really don't see a way to describe that as anything but immature, classless, and disrespectful. It's not even witty-heckling...it's just crass and ignorant.

The bonfires and whatnot afterwards are no big deal (for the most part), but the in-game stuff reflects very poorly on the fan base.

Honestly, if this was a bunch of grown people at a pro game, I'd agree with you. As a student, honestly, we could give a crap about class. We're just tou to get in people's heads as much as possible. Plus, this really one happens for the Duke game... ONE game a year. For the rest of the games, the worst you'll hear is an @ss hole cheer (unless someone provokes us i.e. Sylven Landesburg). And if you want to talk about classless, I'd refer to the racist things things that have been spouted at FSU, NC St. and Va Tech. I've never heard our fans get racist.

Before people criticize our fans, please remember back (way back in some cases ;)) to being in college. Would you have been concerned with being the classiest fan base?

Honestly, if this was a bunch of grown people at a pro game, I'd agree with you. As a student, honestly, we could give a crap about class. We're just tou to get in people's heads as much as possible. Plus, this really one happens for the Duke game... ONE game a year. For the rest of the games, the worst you'll hear is an @ss hole cheer (unless someone provokes us i.e. Sylven Landesburg). And if you want to talk about classless, I'd refer to the racist things things that have been spouted at FSU, NC St. and Va Tech. I've never heard our fans get racist.

Before people criticize our fans, please remember back (way back in some cases ;)) to being in college. Would you have been concerned with being the classiest fan base?

Even though people are acting like it, I haven't said anything about the classiness of the terps fans. I think people have a real reading comprehension problem.

The chants of HIV and things like that from other schools are wrong and classless as well.

What i think is pathetic is the idea that destroying property, burning things and rioting are a way to celebrate.

What other school is doing those things? MD has done this at least 3 times over the last 9 years or so...One time they did after a loss.

Now, if you guys think the FU chants on TV and things like that reflect well on the MD fan base, well I don't know what to tell you. I really don't care about it but it is classless, just as its classless for Duke fans to say some of the stuff they say.

Again, i go back to Duke/UNC...That is the rivalry in college sports and you just don't see this stuff in that rivalry.

But again, that stuff goes on everywhere....There are always ignorant things said in the stands.

BTW, its the MARYLAND fans in this thread that have said Terps fans are classless.

This thread has gone on way too long but I will add my 2 cents. I am an alum, class of 94, and I have to admit that I really wasn't happy with the FU chants either nor the property distruction (I have never understood this). I think there are better, more clever ways to get under a teams skin without dropping the F Bomb on National TV. I also know that these are kids caught up in the mob mentality. Of course the older generation will look down on their actions because that is what the older generation has always done to youngsters.

Finally, I want to say that if anyone thinks that this doesn't go on at each and every campus in the US, with the exception of the Academies and religious colleges, then you are just ridiculously out of touch with realty. Kids will be kids no matter their geographical location.

Even though people are acting like it, I haven't said anything about the classiness of the terps fans. I think people have a real reading comprehension problem.

The chants of HIV and things like that from other schools are wrong and classless as well.

What i think is pathetic is the idea that destroying property, burning things and rioting are a way to celebrate.

What other school is doing those things? MD has done this at least 3 times over the last 9 years or so...One time they did after a loss.

Now, if you guys think the FU chants on TV and things like that reflect well on the MD fan base, well I don't know what to tell you. I really don't care about it but it is classless, just as its classless for Duke fans to say some of the stuff they say.

Again, i go back to Duke/UNC...That is the rivalry in college sports and you just don't see this stuff in that rivalry.

But again, that stuff goes on everywhere....There are always ignorant things said in the stands.

BTW, its the MARYLAND fans in this thread that have said Terps fans are classless.

When you get a chance, check out the links I provided earlier in this thread of Duke fans destroying school property in a bonfire after a win against UNC... and the picture of UNC fans setting bonfires out in the middle of the street after a win against Duke.

For the record, I think the F-Duke chants are classless and the destruction of property is classless. I didn't realize that was up for debate. But kids will be kids. So the question is what role should or shouldn't the University play in curbing that behavior. And if they do get involved, how on Earth do they go about it?

By the way, the crass-ness of the Terps fans is their niche. The Cameron Crazies went further and further with studying up and trying to come up with creative personalized chants and the Terps fans said, "screw that, we'll be the fan base that gets right to the point. 'F YOU'!"

You notice I have said anything about the Fu chants. They are classless but they happen everywhere, so whatever.

It is PATHETIC that they feel they have to riot and resort to burning things when they win/lose...When did UMD move to Detroit?

Uh, PG county is worse than Detroit. Like Stoner said, these guys normally aren't students but the lowlifes hanging around College Park drinking and then act like they go to the school.

Geez. Next thing you know, people will be tearing down goalposts!

FWIW, the parties on Franklin Street are prepared for well in advance (streets are shut down and everything). Yeah, there have been incidents (people flipped/torched a car back in 2001, I think), but mostly it's "whoo, we're drunk! let's celebrate! Now let's go home and sleep in".

Geez. Next thing you know, people will be tearing down goalposts!

FWIW, the parties on Franklin Street are prepared for well in advance (streets are shut down and everything). Yeah, there have been incidents (people flipped/torched a car back in 2001, I think), but mostly it's "whoo, we're drunk! let's celebrate! Now let's go home and sleep in".

Thanks for posting. Obviously you can't totally tell from the picture. But you can tell from the article that noone is losing sleep over it.

You're hinting at one of the problems specific to College Park, though. One problem is that the fans are obviously going to role out onto Rt. 1 after a big victory. It's like saying folks drinking at Fell's Point shouldn't role out and take over Thames St. at 2am on a Saturday night. (Okay, Fell's might not be as crowded as it once was so younger readers may not have the same picture in their mind as I do.). Yet, as one poster from CUA posted, Rt. 1 is too big a road for them to just shut that section off.

The REAL ACC rivalry, Duke/UNC doesn't have this stuff...I'm just saying..
Blah blah blah.

You have no dog in this fight. You're not a Duke fan. You are a Duke Basketball fan. Completely different. Stick to basketball.

Setting bonfires on public or university property is unacceptable, whether it's your own couch or someone else's car. It's dangerous, and you should and will get arrested for it. I can't even believe I've seen two or three people argue to the contrary.

We aren't talking about some field out in the middle of nowhere or a beach miles away from the nearest property. And when the cops and fire department show up they aren't going to stand around and ask whether someone volunteered the kindling.

Duke's fans are incredibly obnoxious in their own way, and I'm sure they've destroyed some things, too, but the argument that bonfires are okay is just taking the MD-defense too far IMO.

Its fun and harmless, who cares if its legal or not. Are all the things you do for fun legal? If so, I'd argue you aren't having quite enough fun.

Destruction of property isn't acceptable, but they should be allowed to gather and celebrate. I'm fine either way on the bonfires, if the city wants to say you can gather en masse just don't light anything on fire, I'd be fine with that, but I have no problems with them lighting small bonfires as long as they don't get out of control.

Its fun and harmless, who cares if its legal or not. Are all the things you do for fun legal? If so, I'd argue you aren't having quite enough fun.

Destruction of property isn't acceptable, but they should be allowed to gather and celebrate. I'm fine either way on the bonfires, if the city wants to say you can gather en masse just don't light anything on fire, I'd be fine with that, but I have no problems with them lighting small bonfires as long as they don't get out of control.

I don't see the bonfires and whatnot as a big deal either....BUT, small bonfires easily become big bonfires when they aren't handled responsibly. And, drunk college kids burning things doesn't scream "responsible" to me.

This is why I'm not shocked by it. But, it also doesn't seem entirely appropriate either. I don't really hear this during any other ESPN-televised games, and it just looks/sounds really bad. As you mentioned, it doesn't happen during every MD game either. But, when it does happen during this high-profile of a game, it's not a good reflection of the school (which is a shame because it's a great school).

I don't see the bonfires and whatnot as a big deal either....BUT, small bonfires easily become big bonfires when they aren't handled responsibly. And, drunk college kids burning things doesn't scream "responsible" to me.
I think it'd be cool if they did shut down Rt 1 for a couple hours from just south of Regents Dr to just past the shopping center at Hartwick. Cars could still leave campus going either North on Rt 1 or take the back way to Rt 193. Cars around that area could take back roads to get around the blockage. Bring the fire department and light some controlled bonfires, or don't.

Just don't bring the damn riot police to beat the crap out of a bunch of kids who aren't causing any real harm. Nothing gets thrown at riot police if riot police aren't there. And I've seen them, they don't just show up, act calmly, and then students start throwing stuff at them. Every single time its the officers that instigate. I respect police, but the morons who are riot police are the real problem, IMO. They immediately start threatening and pointing their weapons at students who are just standing around. They are the reason it often goes from a peaceful but boisterous celebration to a debacle where dozens of people get arrested.

The university and the city need to try and come up with an intelligent way to let us celebrate. Its difficult because its often spontaneous, but a general gameplan would be a good idea. The "called the riot brigade" plan is a terrible one for everyone involved.

Archived