And apparantly the fact that we signed Tejada means we are just handing the job to Bell? :rolleyes:

Trea, you are becoming a mockery of even yourself! Stop the insanity!

The team has gone out of it's way to say that Tejada and Atkins are mearly placeholders for Snyder and Bell, so yes, there might be a little complacency in there.

This is the time to stop that completely if it exists.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes it is. Bell needs to understand that he is the heir apparent at 3B but he's not going to just be handed a job. If he can't play defense, he's not going to be able to be a ML third baseman.

Unless he wants to switch to 1B or be a DH or be stuck in the minors behind Tejada at 3B, he has to play better.

The message needs to be sent as early as possible. To be a Baltimore Oriole, you are going to have to earn it, and you will not make the team or get a callup just because you're a top prospect with hype.

It's a bit ironic that the one guy around here who is big on urging instant punishment for mistakes is the very same guy who is tied for the lead around here for making mistakes in judgment. You and one other guy make more mistakes than everybody else combined. But somehow you think nobody should bring the hammer down on you.

As for the matter at hand, if you think AM saying he doesn't like to see sloppy baseball in ST is "bringing down the hammer", well, I don't know what to tell you. And if they did "bring down the hammer" by benching guys in ST who haven't played baseball for months, well, that would be stupid beyond belief.

The team has gone out of it's way to say that Tejada and Atkins are mearly placeholders for Snyder and Bell, so yes, there might be a little complacency in there.

This is the time to stop that completely if it exists.

So you think if Bell plays like (poo) in Norfolk and Tejada adjusts well to third, that they will overlook everything and bring Bell up anyway?

Did the Orioles allow Pie to keep on playing like (poo) last year when he was handed the left field job, or did they bring up Montanez and then Reimold to take the job, thus forcing Pie to refocus?

You make up these ridiculous thoughts and then SWEAR they are facts.

Because Bell needs to be told that his prospect hype will not punch his ticket to the majors, like say Pie's did for the Orioles. Defensive lapses like that are unacceptable at the ML level. The team is not going to hand out roster spots like it has in the past. Rebuilding is done with..

What on earth gives you the impression that Bell believes this? Has Bell ever said anything remotely similar to "I figure I have a major-league job waiting for me, so I'll just go through the motions until they call me up."? Do you have a quote? A link? Anything at all to base this on?

You seem to have the impression that Bell is a lazy, apathetic prospect who doesn't want to work hard unless someone tells him to. And you've held the same opinion about other players as well.

Honestly, I've rarely seen such a die-hard baseball fan have such a fundamental misunderstanding of almost everything about the game and its players.

It's a bit ironic that the one guy around here who is big on urging instant punishment for mistakes is the very same guy who is tied for the lead around here for making mistakes in judgment. You and one other guy make more mistakes than everybody else combined. But somehow you think nobody should bring the hammer down on you.

As for the matter at hand, if you think AM saying he doesn't like to see sloppy baseball in ST is "bringing down the hammer", well, I don't know what to tell you. And if they did "bring down the hammer" by benching guys in ST who haven't played baseball for months, well, that would be stupid beyond belief.

I'm not going to be paid millions of dollars to post on this website.

And I'm not saying bringing the hammer down has to mean benching. But Bell needs to be held accountable for his poor performance and told that kind of play is not acceptable for a ML thirdbaseman. That's all.

MacPhail pretty much did that without saying it, and I would hope Trembley would say or do something more directly to enforce it.

Because Bell needs to be told that his prospect hype will not punch his ticket to the majors, like say Pie's did for the Orioles. Defensive lapses like that are unacceptable at the ML level. The team is not going to hand out roster spots like it has in the past. Rebuilding is done with.

That is the message that is being broadcast so the team has to back that up with action.

I've decided to add :wedge: mentally at the end of every one of your posts on the Orioles and minor league boards. It's the easiest way to just giggle instead of getting annoyed.

Fire Trembley right away! I mean, he didn't chew out a kid for making two physical errors. Surely he needs to be reminded that he's not a big leaguer yet and surely he made those errors because his head is so big and he thinks everything will be handed to him. :rolleyestf:

Hold on, let me try this out:

Jtrea "Because Bell needs to be told that his prospect hype will not punch his ticket to the majors" :wedge:

I feel better already.

What on earth gives you the impression that Bell believes this? Has Bell ever said anything remotely similar to "I figure I have a major-league job waiting for me, so I'll just go through the motions until they call me up."? Do you have a quote? A link? Anything at all to base this on?

You seem to have the impression that Bell is a lazy, apathetic prospect who doesn't want to work hard unless someone tells him to. And you've held the same opinion about other players as well.

Honestly, I've rarely seen such a die-hard baseball fan have such a fundamental misunderstanding of almost everything about the game and its players.

What I am saying is Bell may know that he has to work hard to get to the majors. But he is the most attractive option at 3B for the Orioles after this season, and they did trade one of their most valuable commodities to get him.

So in the back of his mind, there might be some complacency there IMO.

The team has talked him up, so he might have started to buy into his hype a little. I'm not saying he has, but if that's the case, this is the time to stop that.

You are blowing things out of proportion. Bell is a 23 year old kid getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and is only a step away from the majors. It's hardly shocking to think he might have a bit of an ego or might be a little complacent given his hype by the team.

I know we like to idealize Oriole ballplayers, especially prospects, but these guys are still human.

Trying to ignore the nonsense by the same person: I think DT is awesome. He seems like a great guy, with great baseball knowledge and is easy to get along with as a player. Hopefully, guys start to play better under him, b/c I think he gets the respect of almost everyone. As far as his in game management, there are certain things that I disagree with him about, but that could be said for anyone we brought in, including Cal:eektf:.

What I am saying is Bell may know that he has to work hard to get to the majors. But he is the most attractive option at 3B for the Orioles after this season, and they did trade one of their most valuable commodities to get him.

The team has talked him up, so he might have started to buy into his hype a little. I'm not saying he has, but if that's the case, this is the time to stop that.

We have absolutely, positively no evidence to suggest that Josh Bell is anything but a hard worker doing his level best to be as good as possible, but if he is a slack-off expecting the world to be handed to him on a platter that needs to stop, posthaste.

:rolleyes:

You are blowing things out of proportion. Bell is a 23 year old kid getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and is only a step away from the majors. It's hardly shocking to think he might have a bit of an ego or might be a little complacent given his hype by the team.

I know we like to idealize Oriole ballplayers, especially prospects, but these guys are still human.

You're editing so fast I can't keep up. Maybe if I wait long enough you'll actually inject a little sense and logic into your "arguments".

Again...any quote? Any link? Anything to back this up? Your entire body of evidence that Josh Bell is complacent is that he committed a couple of errors yesterday. That's your argument.

You know, Cal Ripken went 0-for-2 in his major-league debut. I sure hope his manager dropped the hammer and told him to get his head out of his butt. These prospects and their inflated egos!

Yes it is. Bell needs to understand that he is the heir apparent at 3B but he's not going to just be handed a job. If he can't play defense, he's not going to be able to be a ML third baseman.

Unless he wants to switch to 1B or be a DH or be stuck in the minors behind Tejada at 3B, he has to play better.

The message needs to be sent as early as possible. To be a Baltimore Oriole, you are going to have to earn it, and you will not make the team or get a callup just because you're a top prospect with hype.

I think these guys know that they aren't going to get to the majors by playing lousy defense. No need to send that message, it is very obvious.

We have absolutely, positively no evidence to suggest that Josh Bell is anything but a hard worker doing his level best to be as good as possible, but if he is a slack-off expecting the world to be handed to him on a platter that needs to stop, posthaste.

:rolleyes:

You are over-exaggerating again.

I am not saying Bell is a slack off, but he's a 23 year old professional ballplayer who has money in the bank and a ton of hype by his club. To think there is absolutely no shred of ego, or no sense of entitlement at all in this kid's mind is pretty naive IMO.

Had we given Holliday 140 million, how do we know that he wouldn't have gotten his big pay day, gotten complacent and not been good at all?

Archived