Video: Matt Hobgood, 3/10/10

justD

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say I'm shocked at his physique. This is after an offseason where he supposedly got into shape? Wow.

My question for you is, "Do you think he is in better shape than 98% of those his age?" ;) And he might actually be....

Wow, if that is true it calls into question the due dilligence completed by Jordan before picking this kid. If an potential high round draft choice would even have a hint of laziness about him that should raise a read flag to probably avoid him like the plague.:(
A rumor on an internet message board calls into question the diligence of Joe Jordan? I'm going to guess that's not the thing that most of us question in this thread. Other options:

1. The source.

2. The accuracy.

3. Your intentions.

4. Your intelligence.

Here we go again......

I'm sure the Orioles did their due diligence. No disrespect meant to oriolefan1035, but I'm not going to get my pitchfork and torch out because of what a player he knows in minor league camp reportedly said. For now, I'll go with what Doc Shorebird says:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/plus/plusarticle.asp?ID=2378

My recollection is that when Hobgood was signed, his personality and maturity were cited as pluses in his favor. It's going to take more than one second-hand negative remark to convince me otherwise.

I'm not sure why you're jumping down Old5Fan's throat on this one. He said "if this is true."

If it is true, it does call into question Jordan's pick. Charming is nice, but having a sense of someone's work ethic is equally important...actually much moreso. His conditioning was somewhat of a red flag even before the draft. We know that's true.

What I'd say to OldFan is simply, if it's true, you *might* be right, but some poster on a message board is not nearly enough of a validation. At this point, it's only a rumor AND Hobgood's still very young.

There's no reason he can't become an amazing pitcher. I'm sure the O's will lean heavily on this kid in an attempt to motivate him. Indeed, it's already started. He's by no means guaranteed a spot in Delmarva.

Good.

I for one am not going to be concerned with his conditioning and appearance until he actually starts to pitch in the minors, and we see what he can do. For goodness sakes, we're sitting here arguing and spewing conspiracy theories over his first BP session. BP SESSION.

As far as appearance goes, we've been over and over, time and time again, the number of big, large, "fat," baseball players that have had their share of successes in the big leagues. Drawing conclusions about Hobgood at this point in time is not only short-sighted, but it's down right stupid.

I for one am not going to be concerned with his conditioning and appearance until he actually starts to pitch in the minors, and we see what he can do. For goodness sakes, we're sitting here arguing and spewing conspiracy theories over his first BP session. BP SESSION.

As far as appearance goes, we've been over and over, time and time again, the number of big, large, "fat," baseball players that have had their share of successes in the big leagues. Drawing conclusions about Hobgood at this point in time is not only short-sighted, but it's down right stupid.

Who's drawing conclusions?

Who's drawing conclusions?

I just have seen this before. Maybe now Old#5Fan is saying "if this is true," but by June 1 if Hobgood isn't setting the world on fire he'll be questioning Hobgood's work ethic as if it is a fact. He will have forgotten the second-hand, skimpy nature of the evidence.

And here's a reminder of what Hobgood did this winter:

The 19-year-old that the O's selected with the fifth overall pick last June, has spent most of this winter learning to eat better and reducing his body fat.

He worked out at the Athletes Performance Institute in Carson, California from November 9 through late January, then days later reported to Sarasota.

"That was really good for me. The Orioles recommended it. I worked out with some big league guys and minor league guys. It was a good experience and did a lot for me physically.

"About a week into API, I went with a company that delivers your food and was on an 1800-calorie per day plan. I did that plan for about a month."

Hobgood said he reduced his body fat from 22 to 17 percent, a nice reduction for about three months of work. Hobgood is 6'4", 245 pounds and he'll likely play at a similar weight this year.

"I didn't get to where they wanted me weight wise. I lost about 17 pounds of body fat and gained nine pounds of muscle. That's 26 pounds total if I had taken off that muscle.

"The goals I've set for myself are for the long run and they can be achieved. But as for this off season, I felt I did really well for that time frame. Physically I am ahead of where I was at last year at Bluefield."

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93241&highlight=Hobgood

He also showed up in Sarasota on February 1, a month before minor league camp opened. So, I feel it's premature to be concerned that (1) he's lazy, or (2) the Orioles failed to do proper due diligence to discover that he was lazy.

Wow, if that is true it calls into question the due dilligence completed by Jordan before picking this kid. If an potential high round draft choice would even have a hint of laziness about him that should raise a read flag to probably avoid him like the plague.:(

Right, second or third hand rumors should certainly call into question Joe Jordan's diligence before making a draft pick. :rolleyestf:

I know patience is not one of your virtues, but how about you wait and see how he throws this year before you start jumping to conclusions?

From the reports I've heard, he worked out very hard this off season so before you start using some third hand rumor, let's wait until the reports start to filter out on how he's looked this spring.

Yeah, watching that youtube video will ruin your morning. Although I guess he could be hiding solid muscle in those tree trunks.

It's great that he got into better shape vs. last season. What the hell did he do to himself though between HS and Bluefield?

Maybe blue is a slimming color while orange enhances it? I think I'm going to try an experiment later with my wife who is 8 and a half month's pregnant. I'll have her put on an orange shirt and then a blue shirt and see if one "shows" the baby more than the other.

Right, second or third hand rumors should certainly call into question Joe Jordan's diligence before making a draft pick. :rolleyestf:

I know patience is not one of your virtues, but how about you wait and see how he throws this year before you start jumping to conclusions?

From the reports I've heard, he worked out very hard this off season so before you start using some third hand rumor, let's wait until the reports start to filter out on how he's looked this spring.

Glad to hear that he worked out very hard this off season. Are there any concerns about his weight, or those in the system that feel he needs to lose some weight?

I saw two things of interest.

1. To me, his delivery looks VERY similar to Roger Clemens, minus a little bit of the famous leg drive.

2. Mike Devereaux. Were my eyes playing tricks on me?

Your eyes are fine. I saw Devo standing behind the cage as well.

I just have seen this before. Maybe now Old#5Fan is saying "if this is true," but by June 1 if Hobgood isn't setting the world on fire he'll be questioning Hobgood's work ethic as if it is a fact. He will have forgotten the second-hand, skimpy nature of the evidence.

And here's a reminder of what Hobgood did this winter:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93241&highlight=Hobgood

He also showed up in Sarasota on February 1, a month before minor league camp opened. So, I feel it's premature to be concerned that (1) he's lazy, or (2) the Orioles failed to do proper due diligence to discover that he was lazy.

I know. You're right. We all know O5F is predisposed to hyperbole and prone to jump to premature conclusions.

I have to admit though...even though it's third hand and on a message board, I hate to ever hear rumors about him being lazy. I've never drawn any conclusions about his fitness, but it would be wrong not to take notice as something to follow.

Either way, that third-hand post doesn't even constitute smoke, so I'm certainly not saying there's fire. But it did pique my interest.

Archived