Video: Matt Hobgood, 3/10/10

justD

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. For what I could tell his mechanics were not all that great as he appears to fall off to the left instead of landing in balance. He also didn't look like he was exerting that much effort but actually throwing BP as almost to let the batters hit the ball. I don't know whether he just has a smooth delivery or isn't putting enough oomph into his pitches. Hard to tell.

It's called Batting practice, not pitching practice. The idea is to not throw no hitters in BP.

What agenda do you think I have? I just made an observation. He seemed to look a bit odd when he finished some of his pitches (not quite in balance). He looked smooth otherwise.

Although he isn't completely squared up, I have seen much much worse. Take a look a Mitch Williams video.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4FJTBOBJpc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4FJTBOBJpc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1I00SFkLc0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1I00SFkLc0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's two examples of good form, he isn't that bad

I am not qualified to comment on the quality of his form or his pitching, but I think his physique is just fine. Powerful legs and a big beefy frame-- solid. Looks like a healthy athlete.

That was my thinking as well, but who knows how flexible those muscles are. He probably can't afford to put on much more weight, though.

He's certainly a wide-body lower half guy though so he's going to need to watch that portion.
It's hard for me to look at his physique and not think, "Sidney Ponson."

As far as a non Oriole comparison for body type I was thinking CC Sabathia.

First thing I noticed was that this guy is not in shape. Hearing the reports, I was hoping to see him come to camp in good shape. Despite reports of how hard he works, a player I know in the minor league camp informed me that he "is the laziest guy there. he'll hit 2 or 3 quick things in the gym and be done for the day." (He also said to keep an eye on Coffey, he thinks he's the best pitcher we have in the lower minors) Having conflicting reports, I wanted to see for myself, and clearly, he is in very poor shape. He really needs to start working harder to justify being drafted where we drafted him.

His mechanics look fine to me. I just kept thinking about how big he is. I thought he lost a little weight? Doesn't look like it to me. I expected to see him in better condition. His weight could become an issue. IMO, he can't afford to get any bigger than he already is. At some point, all that beef has got to affect your flexibility. Bottom line is performance but I'm a little disappointed to see the condition he's in. I guess the way he wears his pants (which I like on most players) exagerates it a bit.

I'm a little disappointed by his weight, but then, I don't know what he looked like last year. At the end of the day, just show me good results on the mound. There have been plenty of very good pitchers who were significantly overweight, and I'm sure there also have been plenty of mediocre pitchers who would have been better if they'd kept themselves in better condition.

First thing I noticed was that this guy is not in shape. Hearing the reports, I was hoping to see him come to camp in good shape. Despite reports of how hard he works, a player I know in the minor league camp informed me that he "is the laziest guy there. he'll hit 2 or 3 quick things in the gym and be done for the day." (He also said to keep an eye on Coffey, he thinks he's the best pitcher we have in the lower minors) Having conflicting reports, I wanted to see for myself, and clearly, he is in very poor shape. He really needs to start working harder to justify being drafted where we drafted him.

Wow, if that is true it calls into question the due dilligence completed by Jordan before picking this kid. If an potential high round draft choice would even have a hint of laziness about him that should raise a read flag to probably avoid him like the plague.:(

Wow, if that is true it calls into question the due dilligence completed by Jordan before picking this kid. If an potential high round draft choice would even have a hint of laziness about him that should raise a read flag to probably avoid him like the plague.:(

A rumor on an internet message board calls into question the diligence of Joe Jordan? I'm going to guess that's not the thing that most of us question in this thread. Other options:

1. The source.

2. The accuracy.

3. Your intentions.

4. Your intelligence.

Here we go again......

I'm sure the Orioles did their due diligence. No disrespect meant to oriolefan1035, but I'm not going to get my pitchfork and torch out because of what a player he knows in minor league camp reportedly said. For now, I'll go with what Doc Shorebird says:

After practice today, I chatted with our No 1 draft pick for 1009, Matt Hobgood, for about an hour. I will write up some of the discussion as soon as I can transcribe it, but I will say one thing right now: Hobgood is a charming young man who has been raised right!

http://www.orioleshangout.com/plus/plusarticle.asp?ID=2378

My recollection is that when Hobgood was signed, his personality and maturity were cited as pluses in his favor. It's going to take more than one second-hand negative remark to convince me otherwise.

Archived