Video: Matt Hobgood, 3/10/10

justD

With the Orioles playing a night game tonight, we were able to take a quick drive over to the Twin Lakes Park/Buck O'Neill Sports Complex just down the street -- what a treat not to have to drive 3 hours!

Matt Hobgood pitched his first live BP of the season (or of his career? not sure), and I was able to capture a bit of it.

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_4nM_oFUwgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_4nM_oFUwgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the Orioles playing a night game tonight, we were able to take a quick drive over to the Twin Lakes Park/Buck O'Neill Sports Complex just down the street -- what a treat not to have to drive 3 hours!

Matt Hobgood pitched his first live BP of the season (or of his career? not sure), and I was able to capture a bit of it.

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_4nM_oFUwgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_4nM_oFUwgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

Thanks. For what I could tell his mechanics were not all that great as he appears to fall off to the left instead of landing in balance. He also didn't look like he was exerting that much effort but actually throwing BP as almost to let the batters hit the ball. I don't know whether he just has a smooth delivery or isn't putting enough oomph into his pitches. Hard to tell.

Thanks. For what I could tell his mechanics were not all that great as he appears to fall off to the left instead of landing in balance. He also didn't look like he was exerting that much effort but actually throwing BP as almost to let the batters hit the ball. I don't know whether he just has a smooth delivery or isn't putting enough oomph into his pitches. Hard to tell.

You may want to read the post first before posting. Also, I noticed his arm was in a very good high 12 o'clock position when his foot landed. I didn't see anything in his delivery that was a red flag. Pretty smooth overall. He's certainly a wide-body lower half guy though so he's going to need to watch that portion.

You may want to read the post first before posting. Also, I noticed his arm was in a very good high 12 o'clock position when his foot landed. I didn't see anything in his delivery that was a red flag. Pretty smooth overall. He's certainly a wide-body lower half guy though so he's going to need to watch that portion.

HAHAHAHA! Guys' just throwing puss up there!

His delivery is fine, he's not falling off.

One question I have though, who airbrushed those pants on?

Interesting, especially the shot from behind the cage.

Nothing wrong with the arm slot, nor with his balance. Pretty good velocity on the FB, I think (mentally timing it from release to the crack of the bat).

I would like to see the movement on the change.

Thanks as always.

That dude's got legs like tree trunks. I suppose that a good thing with his big frame.

Overall, I thought he looked pretty effortless, with a nice smooth delivery. Thanks for posting JustD!

Huh? Did you even watch it? His delivery looks pretty smooth and almost effortless.

Thanks for posting. Did you get to see the hook? From the HS videos I've seen it looks like a big break, but breaks slowly.

That dude's got legs like tree trunks. I suppose that a good thing with his big frame.

Overall, I thought he looked pretty effortless, with a nice smooth delivery. Thanks for posting JustD!

The last Orioles pitcher I recall stretching the pants legs of a uniform like that was Terry Matthews, who I think got a bad rap from fans and wasn't really all that bad when he was here.

Agreed, on all counts. As someone who isn't quick to disregard OldFan's opinion and rarely gives him grief, I have to say that this is what pisses me off with him. He watched this video with an agenda and saw only what he wanted to see. Besides that, when it comes to pitching mechanics I doubt he knows what he's looking for anyway. Hobgood looked fine. There are always things that coaches will look to tweak but as Tony said, No red flags.

Agreed, on all counts. As someone who isn't quick to disregard OldFan's opinion and rarely gives him grief, I have to say that this is what pisses me off with him. He watched this video with an agenda and saw only what he wanted to see. Besides that, when it comes to pitching mechanics I doubt he knows what he's looking for anyway. Hobgood looked fine. There are always things that coaches will look to tweak but as Tony said, No red flags.

What agenda do you think I have? I just made an observation. He seemed to look a bit odd when he finished some of his pitches (not quite in balance). He looked smooth otherwise.

Thanks for posting. Did you get to see the hook? From the HS videos I've seen it looks like a big break, but breaks slowly.

I was more watching the viewfinder than the pitches...will take a look at some of the other video I got from behind the plate to see what I can see.

Oh, and thanks for the thanks. It's a lot of fun :D

Archived