Video: Matt Hobgood, 3/10/10

justD

I don't like the Ponson comps. I know they're both overweight, but I don't think their deliveries or stuff are similar at all. Ponson had a 3/4 fastball that tailed to righties and a pretty flat slider. Hobgood looks like he's a little more over the top, and the video of his curve I saw several months ago would blow anything I've ever seen from Ponson out of the water. Of course, I've thought Ponson was over rated pretty much since day one.

Earlier in the thread, I made a comp to Clemens. I'm no expert, but I really did mean it as a favorable comp. His delivery looked relatively compact to me, with a nice leg drive (though not on Clemens level) and what I think looked like a solid core. Again, I'm no expert, so other opinions on the matter are welcome.

The big legs are a big plus. The core is what I want to hear about. If he's soft in the belly, that could just be fat covering a strong core (seriously, it can) or it could be demonstrative of a weak core. Weak core's lead to arm problems. Strong cores lead to sustainable stuff over multiple innings, appearances and months.

Excellent, level-headed, well-informed post.

The bolded part in particular.

I would add that weak cores also lead to inconsistency and lack of command. You have to be able to repeat, over and over and over again.

+1, wish it could be more

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the lazy issue isn't necesarily tied to the weight issue. I mean, Hobgood may have worked out like a fiend this offseason. It looks like he may have eaten like one as well. The writeup in the Baseball America Handbook has Hobgood's fastball between 90-96 with his curve and change both being potential plus pitches. Now, before this weight issue there already was a velocity issue, which Tony himself has touched on. In fact, Tony mentioned velocity of 86-89 which coincides to reports we got from some fans at some of his Bluefield performances. In addition, Baseball America reported that Hobgood topped out at 91 mph in the instructional league. It sounds like that information came from the Orioles themselves who said that Hobgood was just tired. Add to that, the fact that Hobgood looks much, much heavier than he did during last year's high school season. I don't say that the weight and the velocity are related, although anything is possible. Let's wait and see what Hobgood does this season. In the meantime, I am concerned over the reports of diminished velocity and the increased weight. I'm waiting for some good news.

I agree that the only way Hobgood is going to put any of these worries to rest is to go out and pitch well. I certainly don't mean to be an apologist for the guy. If he comes out throwing 86-89 mph and getting results like he got in his limited stint last year, I'll be just as down on him as his worst critics.

I agree that the only way Hobgood is going to put any of these worries to rest is to go out and pitch well. I certainly don't mean to be an apologist for the guy. If he comes out throwing 86-89 mph and getting results like he got in his limited stint last year, I'll be just as down on him as his worst critics.

Maybe Hobgood's on the Kirstie Alley diet plan!:laughlol:;)

Perhaps he ought to talk to Tommy Lasorda about his Slimfast diet!

I guess Matt reads OH, because he just sent me a friend request on Facebook. :)

That's your cue to be nice, ya jerks. :P;)

Hey, were all just concerned about his pitching performance first and his health second. :clap3: (just kidding, of course it is the other way around).;)

I think the lazy issue isn't necesarily tied to the weight issue. I mean, Hobgood may have worked out like a fiend this offseason. It looks like he may have eaten like one as well. The writeup in the Baseball America Handbook has Hobgood's fastball between 90-96 with his curve and change both being potential plus pitches. Now, before this weight issue there already was a velocity issue, which Tony himself has touched on. In fact, Tony mentioned velocity of 86-89 which coincides to reports we got from some fans at some of his Bluefield performances. In addition, Baseball America reported that Hobgood topped out at 91 mph in the instructional league. It sounds like that information came from the Orioles themselves who said that Hobgood was just tired. Add to that, the fact that Hobgood looks much, much heavier than he did during last year's high school season. I don't say that the weight and the velocity are related, although anything is possible. Let's wait and see what Hobgood does this season. In the meantime, I am concerned over the reports of diminished velocity and the increased weight. I'm waiting for some good news.

GB44 had these fotos from the MiL ST 3/10:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=2&aid=2038286&id=1235989612#!/photo.php?pid=30761816&id=1235989612&fbid=1272919743196

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=2&aid=2038286&id=1235989612#!/photo.php?pid=30761817&id=1235989612&fbid=1272919783197

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30761839&id=1235989612&fbid=1272920703220#!/photo.php?pid=30761848&id=1235989612&fbid=1272921063229

As comparison, OH wunderkind Zach Britton looks like this:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=2&aid=2038286&id=1235989612#!/photo.php?pid=30761839&id=1235989612&fbid=1272920703220

My mistake. It's Matt's mom that reads the boards. Still, that means you guys should REALLY be on your best behavior. It's his mom for crying out loud, ya bums. :cussing:;)

Out of respect to Ms. Hobgood, I'm not going to post the intimate details of the conversation I had with her, but rest assured, any weight Matt has gained this offseason is muscle. He's dedicated and he's proud to be a Baltimore Oriole. Let's give him a season or two before we run him through the mill. Mmmkay?

My mistake. It's Matt's mom that reads the boards. Still, that means you guys should REALLY be on your best behavior. It's his mom for crying out loud, ya bums. :cussing:;)

I always try to be mindful that a prospect or his relatives and friends may read what is posted here, and avoid unnecessary character assasination of people I've never met. At the same time, if Matt's mom wants to read the board, she has to be prepared to read some unvarnished criticism of her son, both by people who have a basis for their opinion and by people who don't.

This guy is a horse (in a good way). He will be able to pitch 200 innings easy with good velocity. Hes the kind of pitcher you need when you are going to the playoffs every year and need to eat some innings effectively. :D

I can't blame him for any weight issues he may or may not have. He is 19 years old (?). At this point he is probably still growing and just now for the first time learning how to be a professional athlete.

This guy is a horse (in a good way). He will be able to pitch 200 innings easy with good velocity. Hes the kind of pitcher you need when you are going to the playoffs every year and need to eat some innings effectively. :D

I can't blame him for any weight issues he may or may not have. He is 19 years old (?). At this point he is probably still growing and just now for the first time learning how to be a professional athlete.

Still growing up is one thing but growing "out" could be a problem. This makes me wonder who was the heaviest pitcher all-time in the majors who was effective.:scratchchinhmm:

Sid Fernandez comes to mind as I believe he ballooned to over 300 pounds but he eventually lost his effectiveness. David Wells was probably one of the most effective fat boy pitchers as was Mickey Lolich. I wonder what the highest was for these guys when they hit the scales. I know baseball cards are notoriously unreliable for weight numbers.

I've never denigrated his character. But I said he was too heavy the day they drafted him and that was a year ago. And I haven't changed my opinion.He will have to fight his weight the rest of his life whether he's a professional athlete or not.

I would hope he gets the weight down despite the fact that there are some heavyset pitchers who have done well-even great. I saw Micky Lolich pitch, and at times he was as good as it got. But I think that excessive weight hurts more guys than it helps.

Wow. Starting to really regret having posted this now. Guess there really isn't enough good info that can come out of a minor league spring training video to make any difference, except to incite a lot of speculation about any number of things. So sorry.

:noidea:

No worries...it's not your fault that we spent millions of dollars and the #5 pick in the entire draft on a big fat tub of lard.

Kidding...I hope...:D

I would hope he gets the weight down despite the fact that there are some heavyset pitchers who have done well-even great. I saw Micky Lolich pitch, and at times he was as good as it got. But I think that excessive weight hurts more guys than it helps.

Hard to disagree. Hobgood seems to recognize that, despite the weight he says he lost from November though January, over the long run he needs to lose more. My guess is that he gained a fair amount of weight last summer and fall before he started working out in November, which would explain why he looks so big despite the fact that he's recently lost some. If he's 245 now, as he says, I think he'd eventually want to get down to 220 or so.

No worries...it's not your fault that we spent millions of dollars and the #5 pick in the entire draft on a big fat tub of lard.

Kidding...I hope...:D

Hey, weams and mclovin have both been trying to talk some sense into me about this. Let me do this:

In the original post, I could have added some observations that couldn't be reflected by a short video. What I observed in the two days we were there was a stocky but solid frame. I saw a young guy who was very enthusiastic and energetic as he ran from station to station. He was having a good time with his teammates while waiting to take PFP, but in all of his activities I saw someone who was focused, paying attention, putting forth his maximum effort. I saw how excited he was to pitch that first live BP, and weams seconded that impression when he talked to him briefly afterward. I saw him as one of the last to leave his [i.e., Delmarva] field, some time after all of his teammates had run off to eat. I saw him take a significant amount of time with one of those "please sign 30 cards for me so I can make money off of you" guys, and he did so pleasantly and patiently. When he was done, as we were walking past him and he was starting to head inside, he had a large smile on his face and again said a cheerful "hello" to both of us, then running inside to join his team.

It's so cool to be down here watching these young guys soaking up so much instruction from guys like Devereaux and Dickerson (*loved* listening to him) and Werner and Minor and... These kids don't take a minute's break between stations as they move from activity to activity for three hours straight.

Since it's raining here buckets off and on today, we might be indoors for awhile. If I can, I'll put together a video of some of the activity and post it.

Archived