Video: Matt Hobgood, 3/10/10

justD

With him starting at Delmarva, what do you think he would have to do to earn a promotion to Frederick and what when do you think the earliest that would be?

Considering the depth ahead of him, there is no reason to rush Hobgood. He and the O's are both better off if they can take a little time to sort out the backlog that is stacking up in the high minors before he and others start knocking on the door.

I see the young arms coming in two waves. First wave started with Bergesen and probably ends with Britton, although Britton might vault straight to the head of the queue this summer. Anybody in this group of Tillman, Arrieta, Erbe, Patton, Britton, and (maybe) Spoone could potentially be ready to pitch in MLB in 2010--Tillman, sooner rather than later, I hope. Then there's a gap of about a season to the wave that will start 2010 at Delmarva and with the short season teams. I wouldn't expect any of that group to appear in MLB until 2012 at the earliest.

Hobgood is still just 19 for most of this season. He'll certainly be among the youngest pitchers in the Sally League. I thought that starting with a full-season team was important for him this spring, and having done that, he is on a good track. Now he just needs to show steady progress.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived