Mike Gonzalez

SammyBirdland

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And yet...he has.

So, the question is, is it more likely that the three games he's pitched for the Orioles indicates that the past 6 years have been a fluke, or that the past 6 years indicate that these three games are a fluke?

Geez.

Yeah, when even the (moderately ;) ) rational posters start piping in with bandwagonesque irrationality, it's probably time to step away from the site for a while.

Yeah, when even the (moderately ;) ) rational posters start piping in with bandwagonesque irrationality, it's probably time to step away from the site for a while.

I agree...I'll be back when things have cooled down a little.

And yet...he has.

So, the question is, is it more likely that the three games he's pitched for the Orioles indicates that the past 6 years have been a fluke, or that the past 6 years indicate that these three games are a fluke?

Geez.

I don't know man, with mechanics like that I can see where it'd be easy to have things go out of whack and not have any control.

It's not like he's had a couple rough outings and has been hit hard...he's been hit hard AND he can't find the plate. The dude is a mess.

Hate to use it as a comparison but he's the gold standard for a closer: Rivera. Simple, streamline mechanics....steady, consistent results. I'm sure the difference in their styles and success levels in the bigs aren't a coincidence when looking at how they operate.

Throw all the stats at me you want, I don't want Gonzalez closing games until he fixes his problems. Yes Gonzalez is a very good pitcher but right now he is much like a good hitter in an 0-25 slump.

I am frustrated with Gonzalez but I actually like him. I like the rock. I like the career stats. I like his energy. He is struggling.

The problem here isn't a player who is struggling so much as it is Trembley or upper management's inability or unwillingness to adapt for the betterment of the team and the fans.

The bottom line is a win. Every person working for or playing for the Orioles should assess the situation based on what will get us a win at that moment. That is all. Nothing more and nothing less and no BS about it.

If Gonzalez is obvious garbage 3 times in a row, and Gonzalez is responsible for half our losses, people in charge need to accept reality instead of standing on tired tradition of dying with a closer.

The blame here falls on how the roster is handled not on Gonzalez. The best players in the history of baseball have all had games like Gonzalez.

Leadership is needed. Not coddling. Not ignoring what is clear. Step up management. Don't stare at the car crash. Call in help.

There's two things that are abundantly clear to me right now.

1. Gonzalez has had a strong track record of success in the bigs, so we should be patient with him. It's rare to have a guy with that amount of success suddenly and inexplicably fall off a cliff.

2. Something's clearly not right with him right now. He's having a bad time finding home plate, and his fastball velocity is down. Those mechanics are going to have to be looked at right now and addressed. If that means taking him out of the closer role for right now, then so be it.

The sad thing is, I don't think DT has him on a short leash. He'll keep throwing him out there until he figures out his issues.

Honestly, after watching today's game, I'd move Gonzalez to set up man for the time being, and either bring in Meredith (he mowed down alex gonzalez) or Johnson. At least give them a shot, cause I don't think they can do any worse.

And yet...he has.

Geez.

Steve Kline ERA the 6 years prior to pitching in Baltimore: 2.76, 3.75, 3.50, 1.80, 3.39, 3.82, 1.79

Steve Kline ERA with the Orioles: 4.28

Mike DeJean ERA the 3 years prior to pitching in Baltimore: 2.77, 3.12, 4.68

Mike DeJean ERA with the Orioles: 6.13

Jim Brower ERA the 5 years prior to pitching in Baltimore: 3.97, 4.37, 3.96, 3.29, 5.37

Jim Brower ERA with the Orioles: 13.86

Latroy Hawkins ERA the 4 years prior to pitching in Baltimore: 2.13, 1.86, 2.63, 3.83

Latroy Hawkins ERA with the Orioles: 4.48

Danys Baez ERA the 6 years prior to pitching in Baltimore: 2.50, 4.41, 3.81, 3.57, 2.86, 4.53

Danys Baez ERA in 2007 with the Orioles: 6.04

Hell, even look at Adam Eaton:

Adam Eaton ERA the 7 years prior to pitching in Baltimore: 4.13, 4.32, 5.40, 4.08, 4.61, 4.27, 5.12, 6.29

Adam Eaton ERA with Baltimore: 8.56

So what is it again that makes you think he will perform to his previous major league level with the Orioles?

Baltimore: where pitchers go to die.

Hey, it's a more accurate slogan than "The City that Reads".

This is a more apt comparison at this moment. In 2006, the moment Russ Ortiz entered a game, you knew we were going to lose. We could be up by 3 or 4 runs and you knew he was going to find some way to blow it. I have zero faith in Gonzalez to close out a game right now and I'm not enjoying this one bit.

Normally I really hate reactionary threads. But it is no longer too early to say that this guy shouldn't be closing. He hasn't looked comfortable against any batters on either team that he has faced. He can't even get the ball to Tatum without bouncing it in there. I have the feeling that I am going to be saying this a lot this season, but...

I HATE LOSING CLOSE GAMES!

Right... because after 3 games, it was too early. But after 4 games it's not. :rolleyestf:

He's struggling, and he has been awful. You can say that if he does his job, the O's are are 3-1. However, Im willing to let him stay in the closer role. It's not as if it is going to make the O's chance of contending any worse.

Archived