Don't trade RLo.

wildcard

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, come on, man... chill... whether Rodrigo is worth a roster spot is highly influenced by who else has the roster spots... I was saying that Rodrigo deserves one much moreso than Ortiz and Chen do, that they "deserve" to go way before he does... people are shootin' from all sides about this, everybody's got a different anti-Rodrigo argument, and I can't keep everybody straight... if I confused your argument with somebody else's, I didn't mean to...

I think the idea on most people's minds is to get rid of the lot of them. Rodrigo, Chen, and Ortiz. The difference is that we might actually be able to get something in return for Rodrigo, which is more than can be said for the other two. But none of the three should be here come August.

No, it's like keeping Rodrigo instead of Ortiz... or Chen... it has nothing to do with Loewen...

If Ortiz keeps pitching bad, he will be gone too.

Penn replaces him(assumption is Loewen is ready before Penn because of Penn's injury)

By Aug 1, if Benson is not dealt(which he should be), the rotation should be Bedard, DC, Penn, Loewen and Benson.....Ortiz, Rlo and Chen should be gone by then.

No, it's not. Getting rid of RLo and Ortiz allows both Penn and Loewen to finish the year in the rotation, which is what needs to happen.

So, I'm supposed to think that it's better to keep Chen than Rodrigo? No thanks.

I've said all along that it's fine with me to trade Rodriog *IFF* we get something of Actual Value for him...

You know Shack can't answer that question.

I can't do it without the benefit of input from people who have a better-informed opinion about him than I have. What do you think is reasonable to expect of him, both this year and next?

I trust you to give a fair opinion about guys who I don't know much about. What do you think is fair to expect of him, both this year and next?

At age 22, in AAA, he had a 823 OPS and 24 homers.

He is not going to walk alot...My guess is he will be a 770-800 OPS guy who plays adequate defense...The hope is he hits lefties well and we can platoon him with a good lefty bat. The guy is only 24(25 soon enough), so he has room to grow and get better.

I think the idea on most people's minds is to get rid of the lot of them. Rodrigo, Chen, and Ortiz. The difference is that we might actually be able to get something in return for Rodrigo, which is more than can be said for the other two. But none of the three should be here come August.

Exactly. This just isn't that complicated.

Lopez for Diaz makes a ton of sense. Diaz is still pretty young and has the potential to be a league average LF or DH, something the Orioles desperately need. He isn't in the Mets plans, and they might as well trade him and see if a change of scenery helps Lopez.

I trust you to give a fair opinion about guys who I don't know much about. What do you think is fair to expect of him, both this year and next?

But again, considering what we've come to expect as an average performance from RLo, and considering what he's going to cost next year, I still maintain that the performance from a bag of balls might be fair compensation.

Maybe you'd agree with that if the arrangement were that we got rid of Ortiz and Chen and only then traded RLo for the bag of balls?

As it turns out this team needs Rodrigo Lopez. With all the young pitching coming RLo has been a consistent source of trade speculation. However this is not the time to trade him.

Why?

Because the young arms will wear down in August and September leaving the O's short on starters or worst.

The one thing the O's don't want to do is put too much stress of young arms. Remember calling up Matt Riley late in the year. Remember the arm problems he developed after that. Were they directly related? Who knows, but why take the chance.

RLo is not a free agent until after the 2007 season. He can pitch the rest of this year and still be traded this winter. RLo will be needed in the rotation until Penn gets stronger. That could take several weeks to a month. By then Bedard and Loewen will have probably excessed their highest innings pitched in their career.

I say keep RLo. Let him spot start for a while and keep sharp in the pen. Then go to a six man rotation late in the year.

This may have been already said, I haven't read the whole thread, but here's what I think:

I'm not for a 6 man rotation. Bedard is the only guy who might need to rest late in the year, although I think he should be able to handle 200 innings by now.

And if we need some guys to spot start, Chen can start, Birkins can start, or we can bring up Bowles, Burres, or even Stephens or Finch. Or maybe Ortiz will get better. Regardless, we have guys who can start if need be.

Bottomline, there's no way I'm keeping Rlo because we may need a 6th starter later on.

Archived