Tillman has no no through 7

EutawStreet

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome job! Call him up Saturday. :)

Thanks for the link to the live box score-- I was able to pass that info on to Amber Theoharis sitting next to me, who then reported it on MASN.

I would love to pass some things on to Amber...

Amazing news for Tillman. Capitalize on this and get back to that uber-prospect status he was at near the end of last year. We could definitely use the help at the MLB level.

"Everything kind of fell into place," said Tillman, who improved to 2-3 and lowered his ERA to 4.05. "I was pitching around my fastball. I had my curveball when I needed it. I was able to throw my changeup and my cutter.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100428&content_id=9658426&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Sounds like he was primarily fastball with three other pitches mixed in. Is it too early to get excited about the possibility of a Matusz-Tillman-Arrieta-Britton-Bergesen rotation at the end of the year or the start of 2011?

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100428&content_id=9658426&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Sounds like he was primarily fastball with three other pitches mixed in. Is it too early to get excited about the possibility of a Matusz-Tillman-Arrieta-Britton-Bergesen rotation at the end of the year or the start of 2011?

Britton needs to get things squared away at Bowie before he can think about pitching in Baltimore. He has been touched up in his last two starts--though the base hits can be deceptive over a small sample, especially with a ground ball pitcher. He has been getting a bunch of grounders, and he has 18 strikeouts in 19.2 innings, so that's good.

In any case, this is his first month above High A, and I think he'll have to be dominant for a while before the O's even consider putting him in the rotation.

From milb.com:

Chris Tillman was only doing what he was told.

Tillman pitched the Minor Leagues' first no-hitter of the season Wednesday, going the distance for the first time in his five-year career, as the Norfolk Tides blanked the Gwinnett Braves, 6-0, at Coolray Field.

Instructed by the Baltimore Orioles to work on improving his fastball command and cut fastball, Tillman posted an 8.38 ERA and lost his first three starts. On April 18 at Durham, he lasted just one inning and surrendered four runs on four hits and two walks.

"They said I did a good job [in those three games], go out and have fun the next two starts," Tillman said.

The 22-year-old right-hander did just that on a chilly night in Georgia. He retired the first 12 batters before issuing a leadoff walk in the fifth inning to Major League veteran Brent Clevlen, who was erased on a double play by Mitch Jones.

Joe Thurston followed with a hard shot to first base that was mishandled by Michael Aubrey for an error.

"[Thurston] beat me to first," Tillman said. "I was disappointed the guy beat me, then I checked to see if it was a hit or an error."

That's when the former second-round pick realized he was working on a no-hitter.

"I didn't think of it at first," he admitted.

Tillman tried to keep things lighthearted, even after his teammates began to keep their distance in the dugout around the sixth inning.

"They wouldn't even come close to me," he said. "I was joking around with them the whole game. I wanted to keep it upbeat."

Thurston turned out to be Gwinnett's last baserunner as Tillman set down the last 13 Braves. In the ninth, he retired Brandon Hicks on a grounder to third and got Clint Sammons on a comebacker before Matt Young bounced out to shortstop Robert Andino to set off a celebration near the mound.

"Everything kind of fell into place," said Tillman, who improved to 2-3 and lowered his ERA to 4.05. "I was pitching around my fastball. I had my curveball when I needed it. I was able to throw my changeup and my cutter. My catcher [Adam Donachie] did a great job calling pitches and I had three or four great plays behind me."

Tillman issued just one walk and struck out six en route to the second nine-inning no-hitter in Norfolk history and the first since Dave Telgheder beat Pawtucket, 1-0, on May 15, 1992. It was the first nine-inning gem in the International League since Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's Jeremy Cummings pitched one against Rochester on Sept. 3, 2006.

"By far, this was my best outing," Tillman said. "This is the best I think I've done."

Daren Smith is an editor for MLB.com. Brittany Ghiroli contributed to this report. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

Only 1 walk

6K's

13 ground outs

60% of his pitches for strikes

pitch efficient..only 105 pitches

Obviously a very nice start by Tillman. These peripheral numbers show just how dominant he was last night. I'd love to see him string together about 4-5 great starts and get him back up.

So his first few starts he was tinkering with some things? That makes me feel a lot better about his start...

Yeah, duly noted. I know they do that, buy we never know when they're in the midst of doing it. I guess the other teams aren't supposed to notice when a guy with 4 pitches, suddenly ditches 3 of them for a couple of weeks.

Archived