O. Cabrera Willing to Move to Third for Tejada

erb8472

How can the Angels afford to trade Santana? I haven't been following the Angels and the trade discussion very closely, but just glancing at the team he seems like an incredibly integral part of their playoff hopes.

Any takers on this question? I'm curious whether or not there's been substantial discussion in the LA-Anaheim media that Santana may be traded. Thanks.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's realistic to get Santana, and again, if any team can afford not to take him, it's us.

It's as simple as this. Get Wood and Kendrick, and then see if you can get one of Adenhart/McPherson/Kotchman/Mathis/Saunders, and throw Conine in there if you have to.

I don't think it's realistic to get Santana, and again, if any team can afford not to take him, it's us.

It's as simple as this. Get Wood and Kendrick, and then see if you can get one of Adenhart/McPherson/Kotchman/Mathis/Saunders, and throw Conine in there if you have to.

They aren't trading both Wood and Kendrick, just like they aren't trading both Weaver and Santana.

I think its unlikely that they deal both one of Weaver/Santana and one of Wood/Kendrick, but if we're going to move Tejada, thats the type of package I hold out for.

You wanna ammend that statement?

Ha! I guess I should have looked up the #s before responding.

I think Kendrick could hit .325/.400/.500 in his prime. That's pretty damn good. It's a guess of course, but I don't think it's unreasonable.

They aren't trading both Wood and Kendrick, just like they aren't trading both Weaver and Santana.

I think its unlikely that they deal both one of Weaver/Santana and one of Wood/Kendrick, but if we're going to move Tejada, thats the type of package I hold out for.

I agree with this. I have only been commenting on the hypotheticals in this thread - I do not believe we will receive Santana or Wood in any deal for Tejada. And I would be surprised if Adenhart were included since he is a top young pitcher from the Angels perspective and he's too far from the majors to be a key part of the deal from ours.

I think the deal would start with one of Morales/Kotchman and one of Kendrick/Aybar. I do not know how to finish the deal, but I would consider two of those four players to be bit more than half-way to Miggy.

I think the deal would start with one of Morales/Kotchman and one of Kendrick/Aybar. I do not know how to finish the deal, but I would consider two of those four players to be bit more than half-way to Miggy.

No way do I trade Miggy without getting either Santana or Weaver back from the Angels.

I also have very little interest in Aybar or Kotchman and am only slightly more intrigued by Morales.

Santana and Kendrick/Wood are a must from Anaheim, IMO. Otherwise Miggy stays in Orange and Black.

I'd take Kendrick/Wood, Kotchman/Morales, Mathis/Aybar

No way do I even consider that trade.

Kendrick and Wood are both great prospects and we'd be lucky to have either, although neiter are worth Tejada along.

Kotchman, Mathis, and Aybar are nothing special. I'd be very surprised if any of them develop into regular players.

Morales is a good prospect, but I don't think he and Kendrick/Wood along with some suspects are nearly enough for Tejada.

I'd insist on getting Santana or Weaver. If one of them aren't coming to Baltimore, then Tejada isn't going West.

Huge difference, of course. But that wasn't what was asked.

Its such a huge difference that its essentially irrelevant, IMO.

How many actual prospects hit .360 in the minors and don't end up becoming solid players?

Not true. Kendrick doesn't walk much, but he also doesn't strike out much. In 1200 career minor league ABs he's struck out 140 times. He's walked 65 times, so in a full season that's a 70/30 K/BB ratio. That's not bad at all, esp. if you're hitting well above .300. He's also got decent power (.200 isolated slugging).

Francouer is not a valid comparison. In 1400 minor league ABs, Francouer had 260 Ks and 90 BBs. And he's on pace for one of the worst K/BB rates in baseball history this year.

Kendrick's #s might be inflated by his parks and leagues, but there's no question that he's a special prospect. There aren't many guys who can hit .360 in the minors.

And Franceour, while he struck out more did walk at a more frequent pace than Kendrick did. I would juts worry about his defense and plate discipline more than I worry about those things from Gibbons.

Its such a huge difference that its essentially irrelevant, IMO.

How many actual prospects hit .360 in the minors and don't end up becoming solid players?

Now I know he didn't hit .360 for his career in the minors but Jay Gibbons did hit .328 in not necessarily hitters leagues and he is only batting .261 for his career in Baltimore. So maybe Kendrick is a .295 to .310 hitter in the majors, it would still only be a .340 OBP and probably a .490 slugging percentage for a left fielder. That is good and better than what we have but that doesn't make him special. Maybe our definitions of "special player" are significantly different.

Tejada is one of the top 15-20 players in all of baseball. That is special. Kendrick just doesn't seem to have that profile to me.

Archived