Really...how much more time is Atkins going to get???

NewMarketSean

I am not saying that Rhyne Hughes was any better, but with Hughes having been sent down, Atkins looks to be the everyday 1B unless Trembley is going to use Wigginton at 1B more often, at which point Julio Lugo plays 2B and you've still got a no-offense player in the line-up regardless.

So my question is: When is Atkins gone?

MacPhail is probably reluctant to eat Atkins' salary and pay someone else (Blalock, Garko, Dan Johnson) to come here and put up slightly better numbers than Atkins. And if you are paying $400K, $500K for a few points of OPS on top of Atkins' salary, then maybe it isn't worth it.

But let's face it: Garrett Atkins completely blows. MacPhail needs to own this colossal pooch-screw and get someone in here who can put up better numbers for a 1B than Atkins' embarrassing .582 OPS and 6 RBI.

This experiment needs to end. Now.

And MacPhail said on the video that he would look externally for help. Well, the help is there. It may not be all that great -- but it is almost certainly better than Garrett Freaking Atkins.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll play first for the O's for free. In 2 AB un my first game yesterday I had 3 RBI, half of Atkins total this season. I couldn't be much worse.

In all seriousness, just release him, cut your losses and find someone else.

Roch had an entry about Atkins today: http://masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/05/the-facts-of-life-garretts-not-hitting.html

It should be clear to everyone watching that Atkins has no bat speed. He is also pretty poor defensively, IMO. Sign Garko, bring up Aubrey, play Luke at 1st, just do something...

At this point I would take Aubrey over Atkins. He is at least a good defender. And while he is not exactly lighting it up in Norfolk, he is right where he was last year in AAA and had a .826 OPS in Baltimore last year in 95 PA.

Compare that to Atkins' 103 AB's this year. Basically Aubrey over Atkins right now would be like going from Michael Aubrey to Albert Pujols.

At this point I would take Aubrey over Atkins. He is at least a good defender. And while he is not exactly lighting it up in Norfolk, he is right where he was last year in AAA and had a .826 OPS in Baltimore last year in 95 PA.

Compare that to Atkins' 103 AB's this year.

Aubrey is going to play better defense than Atkins and should be about .100 OPS points better, IMO. I would make that change today.

Aubrey is going to play better defense than Atkins and should be about .100 OPS points better, IMO. I would make that change today.
As much as I dislike Aubrey, I'd be fine with that as well.

A .725 OPS with good defense would be a significant improvement over Atkins.

I am not saying that Rhyne Hughes was any better, but with Hughes having been sent down, Atkins looks to be the everyday 1B unless Trembley is going to use Wigginton at 1B more often, at which point Julio Lugo plays 2B and you've still got a no-offense player in the line-up regardless.

So my question is: When is Atkins gone?

MacPhail is probably reluctant to eat Atkins' salary and pay someone else (Blalock, Garko, Dan Johnson) to come here and put up slightly better numbers than Atkins. And if you are paying $400K, $500K for a few points of OPS on top of Atkins' salary, then maybe it isn't worth it.

But let's face it: Garrett Atkins completely blows. MacPhail needs to own this colossal pooch-screw and get someone in here who can put up better numbers for a 1B than Atkins' embarrassing .582 OPS and 6 RBI.

This experiment needs to end. Now.

And MacPhail said on the video that he would look externally for help. Well, the help is there. It may not be all that great -- but it is almost certainly better than Garrett Freaking Atkins.

Ummm....could not agree with this post any more! :clap3:

You have to think this offense would be more productive with Turner at 2nd and Wiggy at 1st, than it is now.

Lugo over Turner is another glaring MacPhail blunder...and one that doesn't get discussed as much as it should. He has a solid career OBP in the minors, and realistically speaking, should be batting lead-off and playing 2B right now.

You have to think this offense would be more productive with Turner at 2nd and Wiggy at 1st, than it is now.

Before watching Turner play a few times, I had high hopes that he could come up and fill in some gaps when they appear, but I don't know if he has the defense to keep him in games until his bat comes proves MLB-worthy or not. I was shocked at how poorly he moved. I'm not sure he would be a defensive upgrade over Wiggy, so I don't think he would be a better option for a callup than Aubrey.

Assuming BRob is able to come back on June 10 (not necessarily a safe assumption), to me that's the perfect time to cut Atkins and install Wigginton at 1B.

I think a June 9-10 date is very optimistic, and even then, it's still a good 3-4 weeks away.

You are probably right -- it's what MacPhail will probably do, but Atkins should be released NOW, Aubrey called up, and then when Roberts come back you can still make the Wigginton to 1B move.

Lugo over Turner is another glaring MacPhail blunder...and one that doesn't get discussed as much as it should. He has a solid career OBP in the minors, and realistically speaking, should be batting lead-off and playing 2B right now.
I don't really think Lugo over Andino or Turner is too much of a blunder, if a blunder at all.

Lugo has a career .335 OBP, had a OBP of .350ish in both St Louis and Boston last year, and a .350ish OBP in 2008.

I think Turner could probably match that after he adjusts a bit, and he is solid against LHP which we could always need, but I don't think he'd be hitting a ton better. If he was hot down in Norfolk I'd bring him up, but bringing him up while he's slumping isn't a good idea. The obvious draw back to Turner is that he can't play SS, so we'd need an additional bench guy if you made that replacement.

Andino has been hot recently, so I wouldn't mind calling him up, but I think Lugo is probably the better offensive option over a longer stretch. Andino provides better defense, though.

Archived