Really...how much more time is Atkins going to get???

NewMarketSean

I think as soon as Roberts is back, Atkins will definitely be gone.

MacPhail has not been afraid to dump guys, whether he signed them or the previous GMs did. Gibbons (spring training), Eaton (May 22), Trachsel 2.0 (June 13).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were Peter Angelos (the lawyer) and your GM spent $4.5 Million on a guy and didn't even give him a chance? That would make it seem like AM didn't do his due diligence. Plus, it runs the risk of having Atkins latch on somewhere else and start hitting. That would make AM look REALLY bad.

Doesn't seem like worth the risk for him.

As to the Reimold at 1B issue, I think SilentJames raises a good point. The O's had no OF prospects to challenge Pie and Reimold, so LF seemed to make the most sense. There's 100 scenarios where he's playing LF and only a few where he's playing 1b. So, you figure that you can buy a year.

But, at least they're killing two birds with one stone by getting him those 1b reps where they don't count and allowing him to get his swing back.

Atkins has gone from a one season stopgap to a half-season stopgap. The team is basically playing him like they are Corey Patterson. Forget the money, he's already being paid. You guys are saying "get Garko or such and such," when you just as easily could mention an LF worth trading for.

The lack of action by the front office is very very upsetting. I understand we don't need scapegoats, but we need SOMETHING!!! Atkins is awful. ANYONE would be better. Sign ANYONE. Jack Cust would be better playing over there despite not being able to move.

The manager? Again, not his fault, but maybe that is our only move.

The only thing I ask is you do something. Is someone trying to move the team out of the city? Sign Ricky Vaughan! Do Something!

Squinty went 0-3 tonight with a walk. At least he got on base.

I wonder if that is the kind of production MacPhail expected from Squinty for $4.5 million???

lol-I am sure this has been covered in detail, but does his squinting have anything to do with his popping out or hitting into double plays constantly?

If you were Peter Angelos (the lawyer) and your GM spent $4.5 Million on a guy and didn't even give him a chance? That would make it seem like AM didn't do his due diligence. Plus, it runs the risk of having Atkins latch on somewhere else and start hitting. That would make AM look REALLY bad.

Doesn't seem like worth the risk for him.

What risk? I think the far bigger risk is that they continue playing Atkins and he has a .575 OPS at the All Star break, and everyone in the world knows the O's have stuck with by far the worst first baseman in the majors for more than half a year.

It's far worse to fail to address a glaring weakness that everyone else sees, than to just come out and say the signing didn't work out.

As to the Reimold at 1B issue, I think SilentJames raises a good point. The O's had no OF prospects to challenge Pie and Reimold, so LF seemed to make the most sense. There's 100 scenarios where he's playing LF and only a few where he's playing 1b. So, you figure that you can buy a year.

But, at least they're killing two birds with one stone by getting him those 1b reps where they don't count and allowing him to get his swing back.

Atkins has gone from a one season stopgap to a half-season stopgap. The team is basically playing him like they are Corey Patterson. Forget the money, he's already being paid. You guys are saying "get Garko or such and such," when you just as easily could mention an LF worth trading for.

The main difference is that the O's have multiple players who can play left field, now and in the future. By mid-season it's entirely plausible that we're trying to figure out how to get Pie, Scott and Reimold enough at bats.

At first base the O's don't currently have anyone in the entire organization who appears to be even halfway plausibly a replacement-level first baseman. O's first baseman have a sub .600 OPS, Brandon Snyder has a .589, 25-year-old Robby Widlansky has a mid-600s at Bowie... Minor league journeyman Joel Guzman and Frederick's Joseph Mahoney are the only first baseman who're hitting a lick in the whole system. Garko or Kila or Cust or almost anybody would be an improvement.

Garko only hits left handers. He is comparable to what we have against right handers. Cust hits about .220 and is no better defensively.
Career .750 OPS v RHP. Not good for a 1B, for sure, but far better than what we've been getting. And a career .858 OPS against LHP.

.713/.870 and .714/.857 in the two years before this year. Nothing to get excited about for sure against RHP, but an improvement over what we have and a vast improvement over LHP. And he'd be free to acquire. He's been terrible this year, but that was only 33 at bats, although he has been waived by two teams, so perhaps he's done.

While it's easy to make Atkins the "Whipping Boy of the Year," you have to look at the rest of the players and realize that he really can't be singled out. With the exception of Ty Wigginton, who was supposed to be just a bench player this season, no other position player is performing like an ML player either. EVERYONE else is sucking almost is bad. Who can account for why our outfield - touted as one of the best young outfields in the ML by many national baseball pundits - is now the absolute worst in MLB? Wha' happened?

IMO, something else is in play here. I have no idea what it is, but it is obviously contagious and has spread throughout the team....except for Wigginton, who is obviously immune. It is almost impossible for professional baseball players to perform this badly. But is it possible that we, the Orioles FO, and all the stats professionals, somehow completely missed in their talent evaluations of the young Orioles players?

Another 0-4.

What is Andy doing?

He's probably waiting to see if/when Roberts is ready. If he is, then Wiggi goes to 1B and Atkins is released. Maybe they pick up a LH 1B bat to platoon occasionally with Wigg, if Hughes or Aubrey won't doi. Or if BRob is not ready then they go out and pick up a more long term 1B bat. Like maybe Kila, Alonso, or even Konerko or Berkman. Teams probably aren't ready yet to move those kind of players.

Archived