Really...how much more time is Atkins going to get???

NewMarketSean

Assuming BRob is able to come back on June 10 (not necessarily a safe assumption), to me that's the perfect time to cut Atkins and install Wigginton at 1B.

Unfortunately, you can't make any longer-term roster moves based on the assumption that even when Roberts does get activated that he will stay off the DL. Herniated disks are a b*tch (as the proud owner of 3) and swinging a bat full speed with them would be kinda like taking up sprinting after being diagnosed with 5 blocked heart arteries...bad combination.

I'm all for Aubrey or Turner replacing Atkins on June 1 (I can give him until Memorial Day).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a June 9-10 date is very optimistic, and even then, it's still a good 3-4 weeks away.

You are probably right -- it's what MacPhail will probably do, but Atkins should be released NOW, Aubrey called up, and then when Roberts come back you can still make the Wigginton to 1B move.

I always felt (even before the season began) that Atkins should get until Memorial Day. I have to admit, he's been even worse than I thought he'd be, and I was totally against this move when we made it. I'm still inclined to give him a few more weeks.

My guess is Atkins gets about 2 more weeks while Reimold plays first in Norfolk then returns and takes the position.

I think the interesting thing is - does this lead to Miggy back at SS so Wigginton can move to third upon BRob's return?

If Wigginton keeps it up and BRob returns to form we'd see a much more serious lineup (until the trade deadline of course).

Assuming BRob is able to come back on June 10 (not necessarily a safe assumption), to me that's the perfect time to cut Atkins and install Wigginton at 1B.

Yeah, assuming Roberts rehab continues as planned (fairly big assumption), I expect a significant amount of moves to go down around that time. Last night, Thorne and Palmer mentioned that the organization is discussing moving Miggy back to SS and calling up Bell to play 3rd in an effort to jumpstart the offense.

I don't believe they would have mentioned it unless the idea was seriously being discussed. If Izzy isn't hitting come Brob's return, I believe a move like that and more could be in the cards.

I don't really think Lugo over Andino or Turner is too much of a blunder, if a blunder at all.

Lugo has a career .335 OBP, had a OBP of .350ish in both St Louis and Boston last year, and a .350ish OBP in 2008.

I think Turner could probably match that after he adjusts a bit, and he is solid against LHP which we could always need, but I don't think he'd be hitting a ton better. If he was hot down in Norfolk I'd bring him up, but bringing him up while he's slumping isn't a good idea. The obvious draw back to Turner is that he can't play SS, so we'd need an additional bench guy if you made that replacement.

Andino has been hot recently, so I wouldn't mind calling him up, but I think Lugo is probably the better offensive option over a longer stretch. Andino provides better defense, though.

Lugo will not be here in 2011, if he even lasts all of 2010.

Turner or Andino also may not be here in 2011 either, but the chance they will be is greater, therefore they should be given the playing time.

And really, they will not be much worse than Lugo offensively.

I always felt (even before the season began) that Atkins should get until Memorial Day. I have to admit, he's been even worse than I thought he'd be, and I was totally against this move when we made it. I'm still inclined to give him a few more weeks.

What are you (or MacPhail) hoping to see in a few weeks that would outweigh his first 100 AB's and 4 years of continuous downtrending numbers?

What are you (or MacPhail) hoping to see in a few weeks that would outweigh his first 100 AB's and 4 years of continuous downtrending numbers?

It's more the $4.5 million than performance, IMO. Not that it's right.

My guess is that Atkins is here until brian Roberts is back and proves he'll be able to take back the 2B job. Then IMO, you will see a combo of Wiggington/Scott or Wiggington/Aubrey or Hughes..

Of course there is always the chance we will make a trade, or if Reimold quickly shows he can handle the glove at 1B, and gets his stroke back, we may see that 'experiment" for the rest of the year.

Definitely a few options, but none of them particularly good.

Also, I mentioned Turner specifically because of his OBP and how that could work in a lead-off role. Andino is terrible at getting on base. There is a reason Izturis was an improvement over Andino when Izzy came back after his appendicitis last year.

Lugo over Turner is another glaring MacPhail blunder...and one that doesn't get discussed as much as it should. He has a solid career OBP in the minors, and realistically speaking, should be batting lead-off and playing 2B right now.

What? Did you see Turner play when he was here? He was not good at all. At least Lugo provides a PR and defensive replacement.

Just want to give him a little longer to try and heat up. There are still a lot of proven players with sub-.600 OPS right now, as I pointed out in a thread a few days ago. I am not optimistic that Atkins will improve, but for $4.5 mm I'd give him just a bit longer.

Just want to give him a little longer to try and heat up. There are still a lot of proven players with sub-.600 OPS right now, as I pointed out in a thread a few days ago. I am not optimistic that Atkins will improve, but for $4.5 mm I'd give him just a bit longer.

I agree. Not only is the money an issue or the amount of games played, but let's not forget that this was MacPhail's guy.

Like it or not, if you hired a guy who you believe can help you out, you are going to give him some time to do his job and succeed. We all know MacPhail is a patient guy that makes calculated decisions after a lot of thought. I think the earliest Atkins would be let go is around June, possibly at the time when Roberts comes back.

Is it bad that MacPhail wants to give him a few more chances than some guy called up from AAA? Maybe, but most people would do the same (at least at this time during the season).

First off they should not be giving up on a guy who they thought was worthy of $4 million less than a quarter into the season. Granted he hasn't been good but it's not like he's hitting .050 and striking out every other at bat either. Next, there is no obvious upgrade available at the position so if you're going to be trying some sort of reclamation project, why not keep trying with the reclamation project you owe $4 million to? Finally, if and when Roberts comes back they're going to have to put Wigginton somewhere and the most likely spot is 1st base so Atkins goes to the bench at the point anyway. And speaking of Wigginton, seems like I read a lot of 'get rid of Ty' posts around here last year. Who's to say Atkins can't get it turned around in a similar manner?

Archived