It might actually be worth it to finish with the 1st draft pick...

It's being said by guys like Law, etc. that Rendon is the best college bat since Tex.

That's awesome. The Orioles can get what they wanted in Tex next year. He'll probably want to sign with the Yankees when he's a free agent because he idolized Mattingly. ;)

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/rendon_anthony00.html

The plate discipline is mind boggling. 55 BB 18 K's.

The contact rate is excellent .380

The power is consistent 21 HR last year, 21 HR this year.

The glove is good.

Maybe we can get Manny Machado this year, and Rendon next year, and actually have a solid infield nucleus!

Machado would be a couple years behind Rendon, he needs some development, but the ceiling is there. With Rendon, he's pretty far advanced even as a college guy, ahead of P. Alvarez even, and if you've seen Pedro in person, he's a monster.

Machado would be a couple years behind Rendon, he needs some development, but the ceiling is there. With Rendon, he's pretty far advanced even as a college guy, ahead of P. Alvarez even, and if you've seen Pedro in person, he's a monster.

Well, we're one-fourth of the way there so let's just do it. :D

Honestly, I think this would be the easiest way to get an impact bat, I don't think we should try to be the worst team in MLB but it's starting to seem like we're destined to be this year.

No No No No!

If we land the #1 pick, that meas our young talent has tanked. Anthony Rendon does not redeem those failures.

I'd prefer to call it growing pains. Tampa and their young talent continued to bounce along the bottom until they made the drastic jump to a contender. I believe they had the #1 pick in the draft (Tim Beckham) the same year they went to the World Series.

I'd prefer to call it growing pains. Tampa and their young talent continued to bounce along the bottom until they made the drastic jump to a contender. I believe they had the #1 pick in the draft (Tim Beckham) the same year they went to the World Series.

Yes they did. I think some fans of this team are overreacting to this bad year. It sucks, don't get me wrong, but these young guys can still be a solid core, especially if you add in a guy like Rendon, and he pans out.

As long as our young core starts to show some signs of life, I'll be happy.

I know that it's a deep draft next year, and there are lot of talented guys in the top 10. But I've seen Rendon a lot this year, and he really will be an impact, game-changer. Tonight he went 2-4 with another walk, and another HR. His last at-bat, they clearly pitched around him and had no interest in coming anywhere near the plate. I think he would need very little seasoning in the minors...

I know that it's a deep draft next year, and there are lot of talented guys in the top 10. But I've seen Rendon a lot this year, and he really will be an impact, game-changer. Tonight he went 2-4 with another walk, and another HR. His last at-bat, they clearly pitched around him and had no interest in coming anywhere near the plate. I think he would need very little seasoning in the minors...

I'm afraid your going to be dissapointed. We won't finish with the worst record. I do share your sentiment, however.

I'm afraid your going to be dissapointed. We won't finish with the worst record. I do share your sentiment, however.
This team is bad. Just not #1 overall bad.

I think there's some hope haha. :P

The team's been pretty unlucky so far, what if (Just throwing out some fairly likely scenarios, not my wishful thinking):

-Roberts and Uehara get hurt again, and Roberts is out for the rest of the year.

-We trade Millwood, Wigginton, Tejada, and Guthrie (and Uehara if he's healthy) at the deadline for a bunch of prospects that either are ML-ready or will be within a year. (Hopefully we can get a SS and 1B at least)

-Certain aspects of the core improve: Markakis, Jones, Wieters, and even Reimold but none produce at an elite level.

-We still have no solution at 1B.

-Matusz shows promise, along with Tillman, Arrieta, and Bergesen in starting roles, but they are inconsistent. The lack of offense leads to mounting losses.

-Hernandez shows promise as a possible future closer but hits some bumps while transitioning to a relief role.

I think if this scenario occurred we could be sitting pretty with the Number 1 overall pick next year, yet we could still have some hope for our core and the future of this team, we would just need to add some veterans to this team.

I don't think we're THAT bad of a team, but I think bad luck, injuries, young players trying to do too much, and trading veterans could form a perfect storm where we would get the number one pick, while still having a promising team going forward.

I don't think we're THAT bad of a team, but I think bad luck, injuries, young players trying to do too much, and trading veterans could form a perfect storm where we would get the number one pick, while still having a promising team going forward.

Agree. Trade all veterans with value. Stockpile more young talent. Let the parent club stink for bit. Add the #1 draft choice. Still have a promising team going forward.

It's possible we could end up with the worst record under the scenerio you outlined. However, even under those circumstances, it is not far fetched that the core group would win some September games to mess it all up.

The team's been pretty unlucky so far, what if (Just throwing out some fairly likely scenarios, not my wishful thinking):

-Roberts and Uehara get hurt again, and Roberts is out for the rest of the year.

-We trade Millwood, Wigginton, Tejada, and Guthrie (and Uehara if he's healthy) at the deadline for a bunch of prospects that either are ML-ready or will be within a year. (Hopefully we can get a SS and 1B at least)

-Certain aspects of the core improve: Markakis, Jones, Wieters, and even Reimold but none produce at an elite level.

-We still have no solution at 1B.

-Matusz shows promise, along with Tillman, Arrieta, and Bergesen in starting roles, but they are inconsistent. The lack of offense leads to mounting losses.

-Hernandez shows promise as a possible future closer but hits some bumps while transitioning to a relief role.

I think if this scenario occurred we could be sitting pretty with the Number 1 overall pick next year, yet we could still have some hope for our core and the future of this team, we would just need to add some veterans to this team.

Sounds like a winner to me, although I am not opposed to Guthrie or Millwood being around next season. I have gotten a little caught up in the Renton hype, dude sounds like the truth.

Archived