Trembley to be fired today?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bowden, yeah, there's a great GM. :rolleyes:

Bowden was a ML GM like it or not, and you may not respect him, but what he says is the truth IMO. As a GM you aren't going to throw yourself under the bus when the team is doing poorly because you want to keep your job.

Look, I would have fired Trembley a few weeks ago if it had been my decision to make. I'm just pointing ou this isn't an easy thing to do, and there is no right answer whether you wait 20 games, 40 or 60 before making the decision that you've given the guy enough of a chance.

The team was tanking and he said that it was about wins and losses. And AM even said it may not be fair when talking about that evaluation saying that things happen. Well things certainly happened and it probably isn't fair, but MacPhail should have done this awhile ago. The fans and players needed to see that a change was going to occur and that there was going to be accountablity. To not fire him after 2-16 was a mistake and it sent a poor message IMO.

As to AM's own performance, he should be up for review when the season is over. Changing a GM in mid-season is generally not a good idea IMO. Besides, the one thing AM has been quite good at is making deadline deals. So leave him in until the end of the year, then decide.

The Bell and Johnson for Sherrill is the only deadline deal he's made as Orioles GM, so there isn't a huge body of work there. His past deadline deals to sell in Chicago were pretty uninspiring:

July 21, 2000 (43-54, 3rd place, D 13.5 G back, WC 17 G back)

Traded Glenallen Hill to the New York Yankees. Received Ben Ford and Oswaldo Mairena.

July 26, 2000 (45-54, 3rd place, D 11.5 G back, WC 16 G back)

Traded Ismael Valdez to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Jamie Arnold, Jorge Piedra, and cash.

July 28, 2000 (46-55, 3rd place, D 10.5 G back, WC 16 G back)

Traded Chris Hatcher, Mike Heathcott, and Brett King (minors) to the Anaheim Angels. Received Brett Hinchliffe and Keith Luuloa.

July 31, 2000 (49-55, 3rd place, D 8.5 G back, WC 15.5 G back)

Traded Scott Downs to the Montreal Expos. Received Rondell White.

Traded Henry Rodriguez to the Florida Marlins. Received Ross Gload and Dave Noyce (minors).

I'm including the August deals like Trachsel, Zaun and Huff.

Well those aren't exactly doing much for us either.

Hughes was minor league filler, Moore shows some promise, but is more of a bench player at this point, the pitchers did nothing, and Jacobson looks pretty decent in A ball.

But there's nothing there that says only MacPhail could pull this off...

Hughes was minor league filler, Moore shows some promise, but is more of a bench player at this point, the pitchers did nothing, and Jacobson looks pretty decent in A ball.

The Trachsel 3-for-1 deal was a steal, although at the end of the day none of the three guys we got have amounted to much. The other deals were good value for what we gave up. Admittedly, none of these guys have panned out as major league regulars or bullpen guys, at least yet, and frankly we'd be very lucky if any did.

Let's just say that if someone's going to shop Millwood, Guthrie, Wigginton and others, I trust MacPhail to do a good job of it.

I also want to see how the rest of the season goes. Things may look different in September than they look today.

Our previous GMs have been abysmal, JTrea. So, that certainly says that out of the GM's we've had, I only trust MacPhail to handle this organization properly.

Our previous GMs have been abysmal, JTrea. So, that certainly says that out of the GM's we've had, I only trust MacPhail to handle this organization properly.

Just because MacPhail has been better than our other GMs doesn't mean that there's nobody out there better than him that could turn around this franchise quicker and with a better plan.

MacPhail's had the worst results at the ML level since the team moved from St. Louis to Baltimore.

At this point, I'd bring back Roland Hemond... He at least was willing to go after Rafael Palmeiro and his teams were competitive. And Mike Mussina was drafted under his watch.

Besides Gillick, he's probably the GM that's had the most success in the past 20 years.

The Trachsel 3-for-1 deal was a steal, although at the end of the day none of the three guys we got have amounted to much. The other deals were good value for what we gave up. Admittedly, none of these guys have panned out as major league regulars or bullpen guys, at least yet, and frankly we'd be very lucky if any did.

Let's just say that if someone's going to shop Millwood, Guthrie, Wigginton and others, I trust MacPhail to do a good job of it.

I also want to see how the rest of the season goes. Things may look different in September than they look today.

I guess your trust is easily earned.

I see nothing of any substance in any of those trades.

Maybe if I was a norfolk fan I would feel differently.

Its the cycle of life for this team. At least for the last few coaching changes

-Fire Current Manager

-Hire random minor league coach/ base coach

-Team goes on a few winning streaks, get fan support and hope

-Promote a few prospect

-Hype up the prospects

-Prospects have a decent month or 2

-Building of the hope for the next year the FO decides to keep the intern coach. (he has to been given a chance to develop the talent)

-Over the off season hype the young players for the next year

-Hey we don't need to spend money on big free agents we can build from the inside!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

--maybe Arrieta can Jump rope AND CHEW GUM while he pitches?

--Maybe Bell is 7 feet tall?:rolleyes:

-Our young players Rock! :rolleyes:

The Next season starts >

--everybody is hopeful, thinking playoffs maybe

- New young players turn out to BAD, and insanely overrated...

Fire Coach - Mid Season (maybe earlier)

Rinse and Repeat.

Archived