BREAKING NEWS- Duquette Resigns

bej6789

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And he's also guided the Orioles to 10 losing seasons with one of baseball's worst offenses.

Without better players it doesn't matter who our hitting coach is. Markakis has done fine with Crowley. Of more importance is who our minor league hitting coaches are.

Without better players it doesn't matter who our hitting coach is. Markakis has done fine with Crowley. Of more importance is who our minor league hitting coaches are.

With the right players even I could be a great hitting coach. We don't need a guy wo can polish a diamond. We need someone who can take a chunk of coal and create a diamond out of it.

With the right players even I could be a great hitting coach. We don't need a guy wo can polish a diamond. We need someone who can take a chunk of coal and create a diamond out of it.

The problem is - I don't think the person you're describing exists (although I wish he did).

Good luck finding that before 10 of the other teams do.

Crowley takes some heat, but CPat really came on during parts of this season and Markakis was excellent. I do not care if Crowley stays or goes, really.

Regarding Flanny, I think this is apprenticeship II for him. I know there will be groans, but he could be the GM again someday if he helps AM right the ship and then leaves after 5-7 years or so. Flanny could undermine AM with PA regarding some things, but I think that is below Flanny.

Good luck finding that before 10 of the other teams do.

Crowley takes some heat, but CPat really came on during parts of this season and Markakis was excellent. I do not care if Crowley stays or goes, really.

Regarding Flanny, I think this is apprenticeship II for him. I know there will be groans, but he could be the GM again someday if he helps AM right the ship and then leaves after 5-7 years or so. Flanny could undermine AM with PA regarding some things, but I think that is below Flanny.

You mean Apprenticeship III right?

I'm wondering if there's any chance for Flanagan to get moved into another position (VP of Office Supplies or something "official") and MacPhail hiring his own guy. It would seem to make some sense.

Probably will. Flanny will just get another free pass, keep collecting a check and stay PAs lapdog.

Flanny stays...Crow stays.....Anyone think Big Pete still isn't calling the shots?

This is AWFUL news. Duquette leaving is probably for the best with McPhail in charge but its a disgrace that Mike Flanagan still has a major front office role. I'm just thinking, Walt Jocketty is a year away from taking his team to a world series championship (and 2 WS in 3 years) and is fired after a bad year. Flanagan has had 5 years of increasing futility and his job is as secure as ever. Same with Crow who it looks like we're stuck with leading our putrid offensive philosophy until the man retires or dies.

This is AWFUL news. Duquette leaving is probably for the best with McPhail in charge but its a disgrace that Mike Flanagan still has a major front office role. I'm just thinking, Walt Jocketty is a year away from taking his team to a world series championship (and 2 WS in 3 years) and is fired after a bad year. Flanagan has had 5 years of increasing futility and his job is as secure as ever. Same with Crow who it looks like we're stuck with leading our putrid offensive philosophy until the man retires or dies.

That isnt the reason Jocketty was fired. You may want to read up on why he was dismissed before using that example again.

Probably will. Flanny will just get another free pass, keep collecting a check and stay PAs lapdog.

I don't care if Angelos wants to keep him around as "Executive Vice President of Coffee Runs and Shoulder Rubs", as long as he's no where near our baseball roster decision making.

I think Flanny is getting a bum rap here. He didn't do a great job building up the major league part of the franchise, but he did restore the minor leagues a lot. They currently are rated pretty low, but look at how many players have moved up to the majors in the past 2 years. He's developed a lot of talent in his time here. I'd have no problems with him being heavily involved with the minor league side of things. Obviously Jordan still makes the picks, but Flanny can work with the other minor league guys to identify needs and also to identify guys in other organizatons systems that could help our major and minor league teams.

That isnt the reason Jocketty was fired. You may want to read up on why he was dismissed before using that example again.

Ok, fine there were some internal issues, but still the point remains that no other organization would have such tolerance for FIVE years of regression.

I think Flanny is getting a bum rap here. He didn't do a great job building up the major league part of the franchise, but he did restore the minor leagues a lot. They currently are rated pretty low, but look at how many players have moved up to the majors in the past 2 years. He's developed a lot of talent in his time here. I'd have no problems with him being heavily involved with the minor league side of things. Obviously Jordan still makes the picks, but Flanny can work with the other minor league guys to identify needs and also to identify guys in other organizatons systems that could help our major and minor league teams.

Jordan is in charge of this. And even so, it's not like the O's system is pumping out anywhere near the same level of talent that other teams (many in the playoffs this year!) have been. Even if Flanagan was doing a wonderful job with minors his management of the major league roster has been awful.

Archived