BREAKING NEWS- Duquette Resigns

bej6789

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where'd you hear that Duquette was a Bonds advocate?

I found it here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/03/SPG4OMO57T1.DTL

And there's some more evidence here, but it doesn't mention Duquette specifically:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/08/09/marked_man/?page=2

"Big advocate" may have been a poor choice of words, but there was support for Bonds in the O's FO nevertheless and if you put 2 and 2 together Duquette seems like the source.

BOSTON GLOBE:

"Jim Duquette resigned as vice president of baseball operations in Baltimore on Friday and will have a chance to resurface as an assistant for least four undisclosed teams (Mets, Pirates, Giants and Cubs ). Duquette will be paid for the final season of his deal with the Orioles. Major league sources also indicate that general manager Mike Flanagan could be next to go or be re-assigned with new president and CEO Andy MacPhail expected to take on more GM duties and likely pick a new assistant."

BOSTON GLOBE:

"Jim Duquette resigned as vice president of baseball operations in Baltimore on Friday and will have a chance to resurface as an assistant for least four undisclosed teams (Mets, Pirates, Giants and Cubs ). Duquette will be paid for the final season of his deal with the Orioles. Major league sources also indicate that general manager Mike Flanagan could be next to go or be re-assigned with new president and CEO Andy MacPhail expected to take on more GM duties and likely pick a new assistant."

Which is contingent on him not getting a new job? Which is very unlikely.

BOSTON GLOBE:

Duquette will be paid for the final season of his deal with the Orioles.

Wait a minute, I thought when you resign you basically terminate your contract? If they fired him then they would pay him so this sounds like this resignation was definately forced.

Wait a minute, I thought when you resign you basically terminate your contract? If they fired him then they would pay him so this sounds like this resignation was definately forced.

Sounds like more of a buyout than a resignation doesn't it..

Usually yes, but under the circumstances, I could see the O's paying him even though he was leaving voluntarily.

Most likely this is the case if he doesn't find work elsewhere... I would be surprised if he latched on as a GM elsewhere and collected paychecks from both...

Archived