The Evil Empire is Dead

Jagwar

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Yankees need to upgrade and get younger at both closer and catcher for the long term. Posada is 36 with nearly 5,000 games caught and Rivera will be 39 next season. Both had decent years in '07 but neither has much gas left in the tank.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Posada had a "decent year?" .338/.420/.543 is "decent?" Their choice is to either overpay a guy who is defying gravity, or replace him with someone who, for the next year or two, won't be nearly as good.

Rivera to me would be easier to cut loose, in that he is clearly slipping and you might be able to insert Chamberlain in his spot. Politically, though, it's difficult to cut loose a guy who has meant so much.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Posada had a "decent year?" .338/.420/.543 is "decent?" Their choice is to either overpay a guy who is defying gravity, or replace him with someone who, for the next year or two, won't be nearly as good.

Rivera to me would be easier to cut loose, in that he is clearly slipping and you might be able to insert Chamberlain in his spot. Politically, though, it's difficult to cut loose a guy who has meant so much.

"Decent" wasn't the right word for Posada's season, but the fact is he has nearly 5,000 games caught and the wheels are going to come off the cart soon. It would be foolish to sign him to a big contract and I hope they do it.

One step closer to an Indians/ Rockies WS!!!!!!!!

That's the matchup I'm rooting for. Ain't nothing wrong with two perennial underdogs fighting it out to see who's the best of the best! I'm really torn, though, as to who I would like to see win more.

It's nice to see the Yankees go down but am I the only one who ends up missing rooting against them once they're gone? I mean, I'll root against the Red Sox in the ALCS but it's just not the same.

Vab, I have to disagree with you here: since 2005, it's almost exactly the same. The only real difference at this point is that the Red $ox uniforms are a little easier on the eye (no, not the pink ones!).

"Decent" wasn't the right word for Posada's season, but the fact is he has nearly 5,000 games caught and the wheels are going to come off the cart soon. It would be foolish to sign him to a big contract and I hope they do it.

As I said, Posada is defying gravity. You can count on about three fingers (if that many) the number of catchers in baseball history who had as productive a season at age 35 as he just had. But if you are the Yankees, what is the alternative to re-signing him?

That's the matchup I'm rooting for. Ain't nothing wrong with two perennial underdogs fighting it out to see who's the best of the best! I'm really torn, though, as to who I would like to see win more.

I think I am pulling for the Rockies more. Both teams are built young and should be able to compete for a while, but I would rather see the Rockies win it because of the Helton factor.

Archived