Will the Orioles sign Manny Machado?

Will the O's sign Manny Machado?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O's sign Manny Machado?

Gammons tweeted today that Machado could take a page from Harper's book and enter JUCO if he doesn't like what the Orioles are offering...

So with that said, do you think the O's sign him? Remember Angelos had to get involved to get Wieters done, as MacPhail was willing to let him walk for the extra first round pick in the 2008 draft.

I see this scenario happening again, especially because there will be a lot of top pitching available once again in 2011 and we all know how in love MacPhail is with pitchers...

Dude, is this poll necessary? I honestly could care less whether Machado signs with the O's(thus there is no vote from PBR Street Gang). If his "demands" are ridiculous then let him walk away and let him get drafted later next year. How many people get picked within the first 3 picks in any draft? What is his ceiling next year? Two picks sooner? The O's are in a position of power and AM knows it.

The O's would probably be better off getting 2 picks in the top 5 next year. Machado ain't all that. However, that is just one guy's incredibly consistently prescient omniscient opinion.

Dude, is this poll necessary? I honestly could care less whether Machado signs with the O's(thus there is no vote from PBR Street Gang). If his "demands" are ridiculous then let him walk away and let him get drafted later next year. How many people get picked within the first 3 picks in any draft? What is his ceiling next year? Two picks sooner? The O's are in a position of power and AM knows it.

The O's would probably be better off getting 2 picks in the top 5 next year. Machado ain't all that. However, that is just one guy's incredibly consistently prescient omniscient opinion.

I'm no great mathematician, but is the answer 3? ;) I'm just messing with ya, I see what you're saying and agree.

Gammons tweeted today that Machado could take a page from Harper's book and enter JUCO if he doesn't like what the Orioles are offering...

So with that said, do you think the O's sign him? Remember Angelos had to get involved to get Wieters done, as MacPhail was willing to let him walk for the extra first round pick in the 2008 draft.

I see this scenario happening again, especially because there will be a lot of top pitching available once again in 2011 and we all know how in love MacPhail is with pitchers...

Where did you get the info that MacPhail was willing to let Wieters walk but Angelos stepped in?

Where did you get the info that MacPhail was willing to let Wieters walk but Angelos stepped in?
"Our offer was very generous," MacPhail said. "I think you have to determine what's fair and appropriate to what's going on in the market. ... Sometimes, you walk away."

If the Orioles hadn't been able to sign the fifth overall pick, they would have received a compensatory pick high up in next year's Draft. Wieters, meanwhile, likely would have gone back to school at Georgia Tech to finish out his eligibility. Last season, he batted .358 with 10 homers and 59 RBIs.

"He's an Oriole," said Jordan, around 10 minutes after the hour. "The drama was tough, but it's one of those things. Our owner stepped up and financially took care of it."

Earlier in the day, sources said that Wieters was seeking a contract worth $11 million and that chances of reaching a deal were truly slim. Baltimore offered over $5 million and apparently stuck to its plan.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070815&content_id=2150688&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Notice Jordan didn't say MacPhail, he said "our owner." MacPhail was prepared to let him go.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070815&content_id=2150688&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Notice Jordan didn't say MacPhail, he said "our owner." MacPhail was prepared to let him go.

He said "our owner" because the owner is the one that gives him the money.

It's reached the point of comedy. You just invade every thread on the board and bash MacPhail, whatever way you can.

Show me something that actually says MacPhail was prepared to let him go. You can't, because you are simply making that up to fit your agenda. We get it. You think MacPhail sucks. Now let everyone else have a discussion without polluting every thread with your BS. Uncle.

Will you be running for office in the future? :)

Haha. Honestly, I just figured my thoughts on Machado don't matter when we're talking about BAL signing him. Jordan, along with reports from the major media outlets, have Machado as a clear top 3 pick. I think if you believe in any player enough to draft him at #3, you should do your absolute best to sign him. Further, I think you have to have an idea of what it will take before selecting him.

Considering the state of the Orioles in general, and considering the ambivalence toward the Hobgood pick, I think it would take quite a bit of chutzpah to not sign Machado. I'd be pretty shocked. I've given the front office the benefit of the doubt for the most part, and (obviously) believe I'm right in doing so, but failing to sign Machado would certainly test my faith.

Archived