I'm Sorry But Am I The Only One...

millertime

I'd rather them go on a genuine turnaround and finish the last 2 months strong. Give them some momentum and good feeling going into the off season. I figure our record is already so sunk that we're guaranteed a top 3 or 4 pick regardless, so we're going to get a great talent at that spot, and it really doesn't matter considering the consensus #1 Rendon is hurt and is probably no longer going #1. It's not like Stephan Strasburg is out there this year.

But, I will say, if we're just going to be middling and mediocre the rest of the way, then yeah, I'd rather not miss out on a #1 pick for that, but a winning August and September and big steps forward for the young players would be worth a #3 or 4 pick.[/QUOTE]

I think I agree with this....One thing to think about though is fast forward 3 years, O's are in the playoff hunt. Having a bat like Rendon in the middle of this lineup is pretty significant. Us getting that #1 pick could be the difference between us being in the hunt or actually being in the playoffs.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so much more fun to watch the team win games like this last series than to lose them. But at some point, you have to pay the piper....and if we win too many in a season where it no longer matters, the time to pay up will be next June, and the best player in the draft is gone when the O's pick.

If they win and end up with an 8-10 pick and all the young guys are playing well, I'll be happy with that.

If they have a good August and tank in September and finish with the 2-4 pick I'll be frustrated watching all this losing to miss out on the #1.

I think I agree with this....One thing to think about though is fast forward 3 years, O's are in the playoff hunt. Having a bat like Rendon in the middle of this lineup is pretty significant. Us getting that #1 pick could be the difference between us being in the hunt or actually being in the playoffs.

If this happens, we may also be thinking about the two wins in 2007 that stood between us and Pedro Alvarez.

If they win and end up with an 8-10 pick and all the young guys are playing well, I'll be happy with that.

If they have a good August and tank in September and finish with the 2-4 pick I'll be frustrated watching all this losing to miss out on the #1.

Agree. I'd be fine with the former, but unfortunately I don't see that happening at all. But I can definitely see the latter happening, and that would make these victories feel empty down the road.

Agree. I'd be fine with the former' date=' but unfortunately I don't see that happening at all. But I can definitely see the latter happening, and that would make these victories feel empty down the road.[/quote']

Empty victories? Given the humiliation this team has suffered over the first 2/3rds of this season, who's value system are you referring to?

Tell me you haven't enjoyed the last three days.

If this happens, we may also be thinking about the two wins in 2007 that stood between us and Pedro Alvarez.

I don't understand this quote. Are you wishing we got Pedro Alvarez instead of Brian Matusz? Would the O's have even picked Alvarez? Is Alvarez going to be better than Brian? Is he better now? I don't see what the hand-wringing is about here.

Empty victories? Given the humiliation this team has suffered over the first 2/3rds of this season, who's value system are you referring to?

Tell me you haven't enjoyed the last three days.

If we finish 2 games "ahead" of Pittsburgh, at that point they will feel like empty victories. Or the sweep at Texas before the ASB will. Or the sweep against Boston early in the season. Take your pick. I'm not going to root for them to lose, but as miserable a season as this has been I'd like to come out of it with more than a #2-4 draft pick. Either play really really well, enough that we aren't anywhere close to the cellar...or just finish last and we at least come away with the THE GUY (whomever that ends up being) next June.

Who doesn't really want the Orioles to go on a win streak at a point in the season where it means absolutely nothing? Call me a bad fan if you want or accuse me of not being a fan at all but I just don't get it. The O's have played like dog poo for 3/4 of the year and now that the season is almost over, they manage to put together a 3-game winning streak? As a fan, I almost feel cheated...and that is saying something consider we have all dealt with 13 straight losing seasons. It would be dumb of me to suggest that they tank the rest of the games so that they can get the #1 pick in next year's draft but I have to be honest...I am hoping they find ways to lose so that they can put this season behind them and have the top pick in the draft. Go ahead...I'm ready for the bashing to begin.
You're not a bad fan, you're just confused. It is more important for these guys to realize that they are good enough to win, than it is that they get a #1 pick.

They won't slide down to eighth. They're now at 35-73, with 54 games remaining. If they split their remaining games, they'll end up at 62-100, and there's no way seven other teams lose more than 100.

I figure they end up no lower than 4th. Pittsburgh, Seattle, and Arizona have 70 losses, 69, and 68. Then it's Cleveland at 46-63. The Indians would have to go 15-38 (.283 winning pct.) to finish with 101 losses. That's a tall order.

If we finish 2 games "ahead" of Pittsburgh' date=' at that point they will feel like empty victories. Or the sweep at Texas before the ASB will. Or the sweep against Boston early in the season. Take your pick. I'm not going to root for them to lose, but as miserable a season as this has been I'd like to come out of it with more than a #2-4 draft pick. Either play really really well, enough that we aren't anywhere close to the cellar...or just finish last and we at least come away with the THE GUY (whomever that ends up being) next June.[/quote']

So a different way of stating your position is to say that since there's always Welfare to fall back on, what's really important is to make sure that you won't be cheated out of the maximum return? Awarding the first draft pick to the most efficient loser of any given season is just another form of Welfare, after all. But to hell with principle if you can get your downside risk sufficiently insured, right? Stripped to its essentials, that's your argument in a nutshell.

What compels you to watch the Orioles on any given day, anyway? In my case it's the possibility that they might win that day's game. How unsophisticated is that, huh?

I want us to win every single game. If we lose a bunch and end up with the 1st pick then so be it, but I will always WANT us to win.
This.

I'd much rather us not have a chance to draft first if it means that the kids are gelling.

We want and need to establish that core group and let them get good together.

If we're winning these games because Buck is at the helm and instructing these guys how to play ball together, then that's a giant positive thing we have going into the offseason.

**** draft position if it means we're playing well at the end of the season.

Archived