Austin Urban a possibility?

I am thinking if any of the later round significant overslot kids get signed, it will be Austin Urban. He apparently did very well in the pre-draft workouts with Baltimore in which he touched 95 MPH with his FB. He seems like a kid who is rapidly developing. But what makes me think Urban is a possibility is because the O's have been following his progress all summer, closely. This evening, Dean Albany one of the main scouts will be in attendance at a tournament game in which Urban will be pitching in PA.

You can read as deeply into it that you want, but I am thinking we are heavily considering signing him. Hopefully later on tonite we will get a report on how well he did, but signing him would be icing on the cake IMO.

I don't mind not signing Bywater if it means we can get Urban. Shoot, I wouldn't mind not signing Bywater or Anderson if it means we can sign Urban, Robinson and a couple of others....

http://oriolesprospects.com/2010/08/11/all-questions-answered-wednesday-2/

Nice, that is the 2nd thing I have just read that sounds like we get him. Not sure if folks realize the type of depth we have down in the low minors now. We are working on having a gigantic next wave of pitching prospects. Hopefully, some of these kids develop well because there is massive potential from Delmarva and below now if considering the newly drafted kids....

Per Melewski:

Urban was taken in the 27th round and told me a few moments ago that he hopes this day ends with his agreeing to terms with the Orioles. He has a college commitment to Penn State, but said his goal is to join the O's and begin his pro career.

"It is for sure. I think it's a good organization with some good young players and I'd like to be a part of it," Urban said.

I asked him if he felt the negotiations had a reached a point that the sides were not that far apart.

"I think so. Some things are just dragging out right now."

It's possible that the O's could be working on deals with players drafted higher than Urban this afternoon and that they will try to finalize a deal with him later today. He says he is clearly open to that.

The 18-year-old Urban has a fastball that scouting reports list from 89-93 with an impressive slider. He also played second base and shortstop in high school.

Well I am glad he wants to get in to our organization.

If he is from PA then being drafted by the Orioles can be great for him and his family. Kinda close and all their minor league teams are right here.

Good for us too. He just started pitching a couple of years ago, so he doesn't have a ton of mileage on the arm, but also, that combined with him being from a coldweather state may mean that he has a lot of untapped development to do. Once he gets into pro ball he could really take off....

Good for us too. He just started pitching a couple of years ago, so he doesn't have a ton of mileage on the arm, but also, that combined with him being from a coldweather state may mean that he has a lot of untapped development to do. Once he gets into pro ball he could really take off....

Maybe, at least I hope that is the case. It all depends on what his mechanics are, how much has he thrown in the games he pitched, what instruction he has had along the way, and what his routine has consisted of (i.e. throwing/workout routine, warm-ups, stretching, etc...). Sean Black comes to mind as a recent northern kid (NJ) with arm problems.

I like that JJ got him where he did and the kid wants to get it done. If he signs, we'll see how his arm adjusts to the greater work load of pro ball.

Considering he's up for playing here, I'd be pretty frustrated if we don't get him. The more the merrier with these young overslot guys.

I think we're cutting it close budget-wise and Jordan needs a good estimate on Machado before he commits to Urban.

I think we're cutting it close budget-wise and Jordan needs a good estimate on Machado before he commits to Urban.

I understand why their doing it, but I can't help not being frustrated. When we see 7 mill to Gonzalez, 5 mill to Uehara it's just annoying that a high upside guy can't get done for ~500K (guess). At this point I'm hoping to be awarded with two more picks, but will understand if it's just one. If Machado isn't the one signed I hope to see a few more lover level guys, but the deadline might mess up getting multiple guys.

Archived