Zrebiec: Bartlett and LaRoche are top targets

Os84

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least with Bartlett, if he can put up a semi-decent year, he should be worth a pick or 2.

I think the potential for picks might push this trade into the reasonable category (for the O's), but given their actions with Koji and Millwood do you think that even figures into their calcuations? If Bartlett puts up a .650 OPS with a decent glove, they'll figure he might accept arb and get $7M (that might be overpaying by as much as $2M!), so they'll decline. Even though two picks are probably worth $8-10M in average value.

I think the potential for picks might push this trade into the reasonable category (for the O's), but given their actions with Koji and Millwood do you think that even figures into their calcuations? If Bartlett puts up a .650 OPS with a decent glove, they'll figure he might accept arb and get $7M (that might be overpaying by as much as $2M!), so they'll decline. Even though two picks are probably worth $8-10M in average value.
Well, I agree if he has a poor year, then the idea of arbitration may not matter...But if he has even a reasonably OK year(700ish OPS, average-ish defense), I think that will be good enough to offer him arb and him not accept it.

He is a SS, which there aren't a lot of...so, that factors into the do you offer him arbtitration or not decision and that does seperate him moreso from Koji and Millwood.

If he puts up a .650 OPS with that glove, he probably won't be a Type A since his '09 season won't be used to determine his value. So, it would be just a supplemental pick.

If the O's do get Bartlett, it's interesting that between him and Reynolds, the O's get 2 players who had fabulous seasons in 2009 and then fell back a lot in 2010. Undoubtely, AM thinks these 2 are under-valued because of disappointing 2010 seasons, and it's part of his strategy to go after players like them.

If the O's do get Bartlett, it's interesting that between him and Reynolds, the O's get 2 players who had fabulous seasons in 2009 and then fell back a lot in 2010. Undoubtely, AM thinks these 2 are under-valued because of disappointing 2010 seasons, and it's part of his strategy to go after players like them.

That's certainly a better strategy than the typical free agent acquisition - paying $100s of millions because the guy just had a career year at 32.

Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that the Cubs are targeting free agent first baseman Adam LaRoche.

The Cubs are also looking into free agent first baseman Carlos Pena, but LaRoche should come cheaper and might be just as productive as the former Tampa Bay first baseman. LaRoche, 31, batted .261/.320/.468 with 25 home runs and 100 RBI this past season for Arizona while playing decent defense at the first base bag. Pena is a far worse defender.

-----------------------------------

If the O's miss out on Lee and LaRoche, you would have to think that they have to go all in with Fielder

Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that the Cubs are targeting free agent first baseman Adam LaRoche.

The Cubs are also looking into free agent first baseman Carlos Pena, but LaRoche should come cheaper and might be just as productive as the former Tampa Bay first baseman. LaRoche, 31, batted .261/.320/.468 with 25 home runs and 100 RBI this past season for Arizona while playing decent defense at the first base bag. Pena is a far worse defender.

-----------------------------------

If the O's miss out on Lee and LaRoche, you would have to think that they have to go all in with Fielder

Why would you think that? I would have to think that they would not.

That's the way to win trades. And this shows a less risk-averse side of MacPhail. Both these guys could bomb.

Well, I agree if he has a poor year, then the idea of arbitration may not matter...But if he has even a reasonably OK year(700ish OPS, average-ish defense), I think that will be good enough to offer him arb and him not accept it.

He is a SS, which there aren't a lot of...so, that factors into the do you offer him arbtitration or not decision and that does seperate him moreso from Koji and Millwood.

This is a very important point.

Trading for someone who has the potential to bounce back AND net us a pick or two cannot be undervalued. Sure, we may like Hardy more on this forum, but neither player is likely to stay past 2011. Why not get the player who we can acquire cheaper and stockpile the picks for 2012+

This is a very important point.

Trading for someone who has the potential to bounce back AND net us a pick or two cannot be undervalued. Sure, we may like Hardy more on this forum, but neither player is likely to stay past 2011. Why not get the player who we can acquire cheaper and stockpile the picks for 2012+

I think you mean overvalued, and what? Of course it can be overvalued.

At least with Bartlett, if he can put up a semi-decent year, he should be worth a pick or 2.

How can you say this with any certainty?

How many supplemental picks have the O's had under AM?

Why are you so sure that he would offer him arbitration when he just didn't offer it to Millwood and Koji?

How can you say this with any certainty?

How many supplemental picks have the O's had under AM?

Why are you so sure that he would offer him arbitration when he just didn't offer it to Millwood and Koji?

Because shortstops are rare commodities and any decent one shouldn't have a problem finding a market.

Because shortstops are rare commodities and any decent one shouldn't have a problem finding a market.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/07/orioles-among-six-teams-interested-in-reliever-koji-uehara/

According to Connolly at least six teams have expressed interest in Uehara, with the Orioles being joined by the Twins, Red Sox, Mariners, Brewers, and Cardinals.

Sure doesn't look like Koji is having any problems finding offers either yet AM didn't offer him arbitration.

I am not sure Bartlett is a SS now, he will be even less of a SS next year. He is really borderline right now with the glove.

Archived