Zrebiec: Bartlett and LaRoche are top targets

Os84

Preface: I'm still really happy with the Reynolds trade.

That being said, acquiring two players from one of the worst offensive teams in baseball and adding them to...one of the worst offensive teams in baseball is like trying to cobble together Captain Planet from that sissy "Heart" and a fistful of Earth.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Nats really haven't gotten any "better" with the Werth deal. They switched out Dunn for Werth, lost homers in the process and got an OF guy that, without the protection of Rollins and Howard, will probably have some troubles. Moreover, Nats park is much more a pitchers park than Citizen's Bank.

How has Rollins protected anyone the last 2 seasons???

from the Chicago Sun times twitter:

cst_sox:

$15 million per is way too much.

Take LaRoche.

I like the idea of Scott at first but here is a question. Scott was far less streaky last year, could he have settled into the DH role? Could this have had an impact on his lack of streakyness?

I know the O's are still keeping an eye on Konerko. Buck likes him and might have even talked to him. I still think he stays in Chicago but who knows.

I know the O's are still keeping an eye on Konerko. Buck likes him and might have even talked to him. I still think he stays in Chicago but who knows.

I still seriously doubt he'd come here, but would anyone offer 2/32? Paying over market value per year but keeping it to a 2-year deal.

I really wish they would make a push for Alex Gordon to play first.

This makes no sense. Sure Gordon has good AAA numbers but he is a career .733 major league guy in a not-insignificant number of at-bats (over 1,400). He would also be switching positions. His numbers are also steadily regressing. We need producers, not projects.

I think he is probably the "safest" player of Pena, Lee and himself but he also probably has the least amount of upside.

Pretty similar to Aubrey Huff, I'd say.

Huff (through age 30): .284/.342/.472, 156 HR, 559 RBI in 4186 PA

LaRoche (through age 30): .271/.339/.488, 161 HR, 569 RBI in 3845 PA

(1) We should be willing to offer Konerko 3 years at $15M per season. That's what elite talent costs these days.

(2) If we can't get Konerko, I don't feel too strongly about Laroche versus Pena or Lee. Any of them would be an improvement over Wigginton. None of them would be a difference maker.

(3) The most important thing is to not wind up stuck with Lyle Overbay. If we somehow strike out on Laroche, Pena and Lee, we should look for a DH and tell Luke Scott to spend all winter working on fielding grounders and scooping throws.

Nothing angers me more than this.

Me too, because the Orioles refuse to spend that kind of money on proven talent. In 3-5 years, the Nats will be serious contenders in the NL east and players are going to want to go and play there. Unlike here.

I also like signing Izzy as a utility guy. I know a lot of people want no parts of him on this team, but his glove is above average and the utility role would suit him well.

I think there hasn't been too many against him coming here, but only if he's not the starting shortstop. To give Roberts or newly aquired shortstop a break yes, to be out there everyday no.

If that happens the Orioles only have themselves to blame.

I would say that a team coming into the offseason off a 69-93 season would be pretty dumb to dump $300 million in one offseason on two players, both on the wrong side of 30 years old.

Part of me hopes that Lee goes to the Yankees so I can laugh when they lose in the postseason anyway.

This makes no sense. Sure Gordon has good AAA numbers but he is a career .733 major league guy in a not-insignificant number of at-bats (over 1,400). He would also be switching positions. His numbers are also steadily regressing. We need producers, not projects.

It makes sense if you can actually look at his stats and see what has been a problem.

The guys peripheral batting stats are very strong...he had an injury issue and some bad luck over the last few years. He isn't a slam dunk but there is a lot of reason to think he is a bounce back candidate.

Archived