Philadelphia and Baltimore

LookinUp

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The man asked for data. What you did is cherry picking. I think you owe him some data, not cherry pickings...

The point is not that the Orioles are a better team than the Phillies, because they're not. The point is that if you ignore sample size you can "prove" false conclusions, like, say, that the Phillies would be a .450 team in the AL East.

In fairness, I took a quick look at the Mets going back to 2006. Better results than the Phils, less data and highly weighted toward competition with the Yankees.

NYY 14 - 16

Bal 7 - 5

Tor 2 - 1

Bos 0 - 3

TB 1 - 2

Total 24 - 27

Still a losing record, but not as dramatic.

The point is not that the Orioles are a better team than the Phillies, because they're not. The point is that if you ignore sample size you can "prove" false conclusions, like, say, that the Phillies would be a .450 team in the AL East.

That's just more cherry picking. I think you now owe everyone data. I know I want to see it. Where's the data Charlie Cherrypicker?

In fairness, I took a quick look at the Mets going back to 2006. Better results than the Phils, less data and highly weighted toward competition with the Yankees.

NYY 14 - 16

Bal 7 - 5

Tor 2 - 1

Bos 0 - 3

TB 1 - 2

Total 24 - 27

Still a losing record, but not as dramatic.

And your point is what?

The point is that if you ignore sample size you can "prove" false conclusions, like, say, that the Phillies would be a .450 team in the AL East.

No one concluded that they would be a .450 team in the AL East. Maybe they would, maybe not.

The data, which does represent a large sample size of 65 games, suggests that they would struggle mightily within the AL East division, and that they benefit greatly from playing in the National League.

No one concluded that they would be a .450 team in the AL East. Maybe they would, maybe not.

The data, which does represent a large sample size of 65 games, suggests that they would struggle mightily within the AL East division, and that they benefit greatly from playing in the National League.

No, it represents a basically useless sample size of 65 games. It just does. Ask any statistician. You don't have a leg to stand on. I'm not being mean, I'm just telling you the truth.

Technically the Phillies are the 4th biggest media market in America straight up although DC/Baltimore is if combined using MASN.

#4 Phillies - 2,955,190 TV Households

#7 Red Sox - 2,410,180 TV Households

For reference: MASN - 3,428,210 ***(I'm just doing this for purpose of showing Philly's potential audience. Not including outside TV markets that are included in RSN's for Boston and MASN. Although MASN is still much larger if you do that as well. They just have terrible ratings because of product on field)

So in this scenario ,the Phillies are actually one of the two big spending teams ala a Red Sox and Yankees. With the Mets being the other one.

I hadn't realized Philly's market was quite so much different than Baltimore's. I still stand by the point of the OP, which, while not directly stated like this, was partially meant to highlight that the way to sustainable on-field success is to first build from within and then go big.

Of course, I'm only highlighting one team, so it's a small sample size. :P

No, it represents a basically useless sample size of 65 games. It just does. Ask any statistician. You don't have a leg to stand on. I'm not being mean, I'm just telling you the truth.

Harry Morgan in the old TV series dragnet used to ask the question, "just the facts ma'am".

The facts are that the Phillies have not been able to beat teams in the AL East over the past 5 years in head to head competition over a total of 65 games. They proved to be inferior realtive to the AL East competition on the field in head to head play, consistenly and thoroughly over that time.

Case closed. As they used to say in Hawaii-Five-O, "Book em Dano".

Archived