Orioles Lineup with Derrek Lee

larrytt

To be fair, we are banking on a resurgence by Lee that will most likely only last one season. We will likely be back in the hunt for a 1B next off-season, so we are still lacking a long term solution.

I am excited about adding Lee but I would still like to see more done.

True, and even more reason for Trea to be happy as it gives the O's flexibility to go after Fielder next year. This was a very good move by AM from all perspectives. Everyone should be celebrating this move -- it is very solid.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is all true.

Regarding the line-up though, you were one of a few that was wicked behind line-up protection, citing quotes from Markakis, yet here he is saying that he is excited to have Lee.

To add to the line-up ideas, I would go with:

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

1B Lee

DH Scott

CF Jones

3B Reynolds

SS Hardy

C Wieters

LF Pie/Reimold

I would prefer to put Pie in the 9 hole, because as it was mentioned in a broadcast a few months back, having Pie in the 9 hole and Roberts in the lead up spot is like having two lead-off hitters.

The point is why have Pie or Reimold in the lineup at all when you don't have to? Just because they are on the 25 man roster currently doesn't mean that they are the best option available to the Orioles for LF.

Markakis has Lee, but what if he could have Thome or Vlad as well?

The point is why have Pie or Reimold in the lineup at all when you don't have to? Just because they are on the 25 man roster currently doesn't mean that they are the best option available to the Orioles for LF.

You don't want the Orioles to go after Cantu because "he couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag" in his two months in Texas, yet Vlad had an equally disappointing time over the final two months yet you want him? Why?

True, and even more reason for Trea to be happy as it gives the O's flexibility to go after Fielder next year. This was a very good move by AM from all perspectives. Everyone should be celebrating this move -- it is very solid.

I know the Orioles won't go after Fielder so I'm not even going there.

I am fine with a 1 year deal for Lee. It isn't ideal but that's pretty much all we had left to get a proven solution there.

But that doesn't mean we should stop upgrading the offense now when more options are available to us and now that Lee is in the fold, a guy who didn't want to come to Baltmore orginally, the O's can use that to get a guy like Thome or Vlad as well...

You don't want the Orioles to go after Cantu because "he couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag" in his two months in Texas, yet Vlad had an equally disappointing time over the final two months yet you want him? Why?

Look at his #'s vs LHP: .338/.395/.536/.932

We're still developing players at the ML level. And that includes Reimold and Pie. If you add a veteran starter and Thome, you block Reimold, Pie, Britton and Tillman. These are 4 players with talent that are young and cheap. If we're going to compete in the AL East we need some of these guys to emerge. Lee isn't a long term answer, but he fills a huge void and does nothing to hinder our player development.

:clap3:

This is all true.

Regarding the line-up though, you were one of a few that was wicked behind line-up protection, citing quotes from Markakis, yet here he is saying that he is excited to have Lee.

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

1B Lee

DH Scott

CF Jones

3B Reynolds

SS Hardy

C Wieters

LF Pie/Reimold

I would prefer to put Pie in the 9 hole, because as it was mentioned in a broadcast a few months back, having Pie in the 9 hole and Roberts in the lead up spot is like having two lead-off hitters.

I like this lineup a lot.

I am excited about adding Lee but I would still like to see more done.

Until the Orioles are once again World Series champions, we'd all like to see more done, but let's be at least somewhat realistic here: in one off season, Andy MacPhail has upgraded this team at three positions of need. He's done it for peanuts. Two of the players can be long-term solutions for the club and one is a damned fine stopgap. So far, this off season has gone about as well as it possibly could for this team.

That is something to be celebrated, and celebrated without the usual carping and moaning that constantly eminates from some agenda-driven (or merely annoying) posters on this board.

We're still developing players at the ML level. And that includes Reimold and Pie. If you add a veteran starter and Thome, you block Reimold, Pie, Britton and Tillman. These are 4 players with talent that are young and cheap. If we're going to compete in the AL East we need some of these guys to emerge. Lee isn't a long term answer, but he fills a huge void and does nothing to hinder our player development.

We don't neccessarily need young and cheap players to compete.

We need players that will help us win. You can develop players in the minors, and neither Reimold nor Pie have shown enough yet at the ML level to be depended on as a solution that will do that. And remember, these guys aren't exactly prospects.

Yes they are relatively young, though Reimold is 27 and Pie is 26, but can they help us win games next year? Are they the best option for that position that we can get?

Remember our production from LF last year? Why risk that again?

At some point you've got to decide what is more important - winning, or winning only if you can use internal talent.

I know the Orioles won't go after Fielder so I'm not even going there.

I am fine with a 1 year deal for Lee. It isn't ideal but that's pretty much all we had left to get a proven solution there.

But that doesn't mean we should stop upgrading the offense now when more options are available to us and now that Lee is in the fold, a guy who didn't want to come to Baltmore orginally, the O's can use that to get a guy like Thome or Vlad as well...

I disagree on Fielder. If the O's have a good year, then I could see them being a player for Fielder. This year didn't make sense because we are not in the position to give up young players to get him. Next year is is different.

Regarding Vlad or Thome, maybe we aren't done. Moreover, the addition of either would be a hit on our defense and speed as it would force Luke to left field. Not sure Buck would agree with the move. I also wouldn't want to give either more than a one year deal.

This is all true.

2B Roberts

RF Markakis

1B Lee

DH Scott

CF Jones

3B Reynolds

SS Hardy

C Wieters

LF Pie/Reimold

Getting back to the lineup, why would anybody pitch to Wieters if they could just walk him and pitch to Pie or Reimold? Remember he needs some protection too, and although he struggled himself, I think Hardy is a better bet in the #9 hole.

Look at his #'s vs LHP: .338/.395/.536/.932

I don't mind going after Vlad, but it is just my gut feeling that Vlad isn't going to play anywhere that doesn't have a huge Hispanic population. I don't think it hurts to try.

I have some reservations about him, though. I'd really like to see the team having a patient, team oriented approach at the plate. Vlad is the poster boy for free swinging. It's fun to watch him hitting balls that nearly bounce, or which are helmet high, or a foot outside, but that's not what I want to see the team doing in general. I don't want Adam Jones getting the wrong idea.

And, I just think Vlad is looking a little old. I have this gut feeling that he could drop off a cliff.

Even with those reservations, I can't say I wouldn't be happy if we got him.

I disagree on Fielder. If the O's have a good year, then I could see them being a player for Fielder. This year didn't make sense because we are not in the position to give up young players to get him. Next year is is different.

Regarding Vlad or Thome, maybe we aren't done. Moreover, the addition of either would be a hit on our defense and speed as it would force Luke to left field. Not sure Buck would agree with the move. I also wouldn't want to give either more than a one year deal.

You do realize Luke Scott was one of the better defenders in LF before he was moved to DH?

When he played there full time - his UZR/150 was 8.5 in 2008.

I agree that I would want either for only a 1 year deal, but would be willing to tack on a club option as well...

Archived