Garabez Rosa

Frobby

This guy is 26 and has been playing at Bowie forever:

2013: .665 OPS

2014: .714 OPS

2015: .624 OPS

2016: .876 OPS

One of those things is not like the other.

He currently leads the EL in batting average, just broke Caleb Joseph's Baysox record for career hits, and was named an EL All Star.

In 2015, he played 4 games at Norfolk at the beginning of the year, but then went back to Bowie. Not sure why, since 4 games wasn't a sufficient basis on which to demote him. Perhaps someone else (Janish?) wasn't ready at the start of the season.

This season, Rosa started the year at Bowie, was moved to Norfolk for about a week, then went back to Bowie for a week, then back to Norfolk for about two weeks, then back to Bowie. His Norfolk OPS was a poor .529 in 20 games.

I saw Rosa play a few times in spring training, and he seemed to make a lot happen offensively. In fact, he hit .571/.590/.810 this spring in 21 PA. Obviously, we know spring training doesn't mean a lot, but he certainly looked competent.

I suppose we need to look at his age, the fact that he has repeated Bowie three times, the fact that he never hit much before this year, and the fact that he hasn't hit much in limited action at Norfolk, and conclude that he's a non-prospect. But I'd certainly like to know why he's suddenly putting up such good numbers at Bowie, after looking impressive in spring training. Maybe he's the SS version of Caleb Joseph, who will suddenly turn out to be a useful major league back-up after appearing to be a MiL lifer.

Agree with the SS Caleb analogy. With Flaherty due for another raise - who knows?

I can say that he's always been very kind to the fans when I've seen him. Doesn't strike me as a guy who is going through life hating that he is our Bowie career hits leader.

Agree with the SS Caleb analogy. With Flaherty due for another raise - who knows?

I can say that he's always been very kind to the fans when I've seen him. Doesn't strike me as a guy who is going through life hating that he is our Bowie career hits leader.

That's great to hear.

Pedro Florimon is another comp who comes to mind, though Rosa is 26 and Florimon got a cup of coffee in the majors at age 24 and another 150 PA at age 25. He was in our system for many years and I was surprised he ever made it past the cup of coffee stage. He ended up playing 238 major league games and accumulating 2.5 rWAR. He's at Pittsburgh's AAA affiliate now.

Archived