Josh Hamilton

SeaBird

He's not exactly on his way to having a career year with a .213 BA, 10 HR's and 24 RBI's, but last night he was absolutely terrible.

Not only did the Angels squander Joe Blanton's Tuesday gem, but they also lost at home to the Mariners.

Looking for a main offender? It has to be Josh Hamilton. Hamilton is of course struggling badly in 2013, but Tuesday's performance may have been the worst of his career.

Here's his unfortunate line for the night: 0-for-5, 2 Ks, 3 GIDPs, 7 LOB. Sign of a bad game at the plate? When going 0-for-5 with five strikeouts would've constituted an improvement.

In fact, Hamilton is just the second player since 1916 (the back end of available data) to go hitless, strike out twice and hit into three double plays in a single game (he joins Jeff King of the 1990 Pirates).

As a "bonus," he tied the Angels' franchise record for GIDPs in a game.

CBS Sports

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless it's the Yankees giving out that a contract, I should have said. I don't think theres another team that can absorb money and not really hurt that much.

Dodgers.

Really lots of teams with the new TV deals just the Yankees and Dodgers can really just ignore it entirely.

Dodgers.

Really lots of teams with the new TV deals just the Yankees and Dodgers can really just ignore it entirely.

The Dodgers are in last place. At some point they have to start seeing something for all that money they spend. Angels too. California has one of the worst economies in the country and fans wont continue to pay for tickets if their billion dollar teams are struggling.

The Dodgers are in last place. At some point they have to start seeing something for all that money they spend. Angels too. California has one of the worst economies in the country and fans wont continue to pay for tickets if their billion dollar teams are struggling.

I just read a piece a couple days ago saying that the Dodgers are willing to add a couple huge contracts.

They are in what I like to call the "Drunken Sailor" phase of team ownership.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• So, I generally agree but it’s certainly not 100%.  Two at bats from last night.  Means to De La Cruz in the 6th.  Nothing but changeups and curves. Cowser PH AB.  First pitch curve and then back to back changeups.   No fastball needed.  Nick Martinez could have told Cowser he was throwing a changeup and as long as he kept locating it Cowser wasn’t touching it. Unless Cowser is a dummy, he has to be looking for changeups at certain times.  Fastballs for strikes will be few and far between for now on.   Adjust or become a victim of Darwinism.
    • Being used on back to back nights is more of a health thing right? Kimbrel's poor showing yesterday didn't appear to me to be about being used back to back. It seems more to me about him just not being elite anymore. 
    • His command looked fine on Friday night.   I just think Hyde is going to need to be careful with him.  I don’t believe he can never go back to back, but it should be done sparingly.   And on those nights, better have a plan B like Hyde did last night.     
    • Just using last year's stats I'd say more of Westburg is an upgrade over Frazier More of Cowser is a downgrade over Hays. Maybe the infield is solid better..  Outfield a little worse. I think the infield boost may ultimately make the pitching better  
    • I'm surprised at the pitching, with Means and Bradish down I expected the starting pitching to falter,  and they stepped it up.   I'm not surprised at the total offensive output, though where is coming from it a bit unexpected.  I thought some of the 2nd and 3rd year guys would improve as they mature,  and the 4 main ones are looking great.   I am a bit surprised we are still getting good production from Mateo and O'Hearn, but that's a bit offset by how poor Hays and Santander are/were playing.   The offensive is about where I expected,  but not exactly from who I expected from the 'vets'. The bullpen is worse,  by a fair bit imo.  They're isn't many in there that I completely trust.  All seem to either put out a fire, or throw gas on the fire in any given night.    Overall through the 1/5 point of the season I give a slight nod to the 2024 team,  due to the improvements by Adley/Gunnar/Westburg/Cowser, the starting pitching and O'Hearn and Mateo playing better than I thought.   This offsets the bullpen regression, and a rough/terrible start by Hays, Santander and Mullins to an extent.  It also helps that this team doesn't have an Odor/Frazier type on the team that gets too much playing time.   That by itself almost puts 2024 over 2023!  😉 
    • Rotation better.  Bench/speed better. Defense better. L/R abilities better or the same. It is all about Bautista not being our closer. Better in every other aspect. 
  • Popular Contributors