Texas back in on vlad ...not happy with os offer

Guest Hayden2004

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how MacPhail sets value for players.

$4.5 million for Garrett Atkins -- signed in early December no less.

A rumored $2 million for Guerrero.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah, rumors often don't make sense. They can be especially exacerbating when there are competing numbers like 3-5 mil instead of 2 mil. What to believe!? I'm with you...is it 5?; 2?; what?

Screw you Andy MacFail, I hope you don't get a contract extension and I hope you never find another job in baseball again you bum. :angryfire: :angryfire: :cussing: Screw you too Angelos, you cheap jerk.
The O's need a real GM, MacFail is soft, weak, and cheap, stupid bum :mad:.

Just a word of advice.... see board rule #5. It may work on the Baltimore Sun boards, but doesn't on here.

5. Posts containing slanderous or otherwise disrespectful messages will be removed. This includes name calling of other posters, Orioles players, coaches, front office personnel, members of the media, or Hangout staff.

2 million is a joke of an offer. You can break down all the stuff, whips, dips and potato chips and WAR and whatever the stat du jour is...but the fact is that you gotta pay a star tax here. The guy is a future Hall of Famer...you're not paying him necessarily for his stats, you're paying him extra cause he's going to create a buzz and bring some of the casual fans back to OPACY.

2 million is a joke of an offer. You can break down all the stuff, whips, dips and potato chips and WAR and whatever the stat du jour is...but the fact is that you gotta pay a star tax here. The guy is a future Hall of Famer...you're not paying him necessarily for his stats, you're paying him extra cause he's going to create a buzz and bring some of the casual fans back to OPACY.

So is Manny Ramirez. Anyway, apparently our offer was between 3-5 million - not 2.

So you don't believe Roch when he confirmed that the offer is between 3-5MM? That seems pretty fair to me. It's between what Thome got and more than Matsui.

Considering that every other team has offered $0, $2 million doesn't sound too bad to me.
Why is he more comparable to two 1B then the DHs on the market like Thome and Manny?

Yea, I don't get the over-the-top hyperbole. If the market for Vlad is a few million dollars, why should the O's be offering significantly more? Where was the gnashing of teeth and wailing and rending of garments when Manny and Thome signed? Were they insulted and put down by the offers they accepted? Are the Twins and Rays despicable organizations for not offering to pay $8M or $10M a year for their new DHs?

That's probably the biggest reason we're in on him at all. IMO, we don't need him, as Reimold/Pie could give us similar production and better defense. They probably think he'll be able to pay a significant portion of his salary with ticket sales.

Yea, the Vlad T Shirt night and wins 81 and 82 are legitimately going to add tens, perhaps hundreds of dollars to the Orioles' war chest.

Yea, the Vlad T Shirt night and wins 81 and 82 are legitimately going to add tens, perhaps hundreds of dollars to the Orioles' war chest.

I think it will create alot of buzz, and get casual fans to pay attention again. As far as how much money it will generate, I don't think any of us can say but it should cover a decent chunk of his salary.

AM may not be the best GM in the game, but he's kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't with most of his moves. Those screaming he's cheap in this case would probably be the same people screaming if we signed him for $8mm. I could see the rants. "Another typical Orioles move... Shoulda made this move 5 years ago AM! Another token big name free agent way past his prime.".

Archived