MacPhail and Buck on State of the O's

Frobby

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AGGGGHHHHHH!!!

How freakin long do you want this team crawl?

How many more cliches are we going to throw out there to justify how pathetic this organization is?

They have had plenty of time to crawl. They should be running a damn marathon by now.

This

+1

Characters

pwned

etc.

etc.

I don't like the analogy either. But the team has made huge strides since AM took over. Being a results based deal AM will be judged by wins and they have to do a lot more winning this year or he is failing. AMs risk is similar to what happened with the Cubs if the pitching fails the team will also. But that is the same for every team.

Where?

Minors are still ranked low.

No longterm solution for 1B

Record of MLB team has gone down into 60-69 wins

Payroll has remained moderately low

Nada on the international market/scouting front

More lies and bs?

That's my only explanation.

I think they are quantity (players signed for whatever value) and quality (identifying and signing the right players).

I don't know whether to take that as they don't like being questioned on draft strategy, or they are just not too concerned with results recently.

I think they are quantity (players signed for whatever value) and quality (identifying and signing the right players).

I don't know whether to take that as they don't like being questioned on draft strategy, or they are just not too concerned with results recently.

I think the response was a non response. What does it even mean? The question was specifically about scouting and he throws out something about spending more in the draft. Dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge...

No they are not. The O's need to start winning. Lee and Vlad hopefully can help with that. That is setting things up for the future. If the O's start winning maybe they can atract better FA talent.

Maybe that "setting things up for the future" could've started earlier. I mean Andy's only been here 4 years and still hasn't solved 1B, longterm. How much longer is it gonna take?

Maybe that "setting things up for the future" could've started earlier. I mean Andy's only been here 4 years and still hasn't solved 1B, longterm. How much longer is it gonna take?[/QUOte]

Our long-term 1B solution is currently on loan to St. Louis.

I can dream, right?

How many teams are further away from contention than the Orioles?

Nobody is so hopeless they have no chance of contending, besides maybe the Pirates. The O's are ~15 games from contending. It's pretty weak criticism to say that there are a bunch of other teams in easier divisions 10 or 12 games back.

We are better off in certain areas...Big picture, pretty much no change.

Well, you must think having tons more young, good, developed talent is "pretty much no change", and that an F grade is the same as a C+/B-.

Maybe that "setting things up for the future" could've started earlier. I mean Andy's only been here 4 years and still hasn't solved 1B, longterm. How much longer is it gonna take?

At the beginning of the off season the O's needed a 1B, SS and 3B. Now they had a 3B that could be long term. A SS that is open is negotiations. And a first baseman on a one year contract that is a definite upgrade.

They may be three deep in leftfield if they sign Vlad and they could have 6-8 starting candidates.

I think they are making real progress. They are getting the depth to trade for what ever they need and they still have Lee, Snyder, Mahoney, Townsend and Bell that could end up at 1B if they have a good year.

I can complain if I want. The backup catcher could be upgraded. Jones not Pie hits lefties in CF. Many guys need to take the next step or bounce back from last year. But why complain when their is so much good happening with improvement likely in many areas.

I think they are making real progress. They are getting the depth to trade for what ever they need and they still have Lee, Snyder, Mahoney, Townsend and Bell that could end up at 1B if they have a good year.

You keep mentioning Snyder, but when is the point where it becomes more clear that he, unfortunately, may not be the solution? How many more chances does he get?

You keep mentioning Snyder, but when is the point where it becomes more clear that he, unfortunately, may not be the solution? How many more chances does he get?

Snyder has not play a game at age 24 yet. I will give him two years to make the majors. Harbor Park has been a problem for him. Certainly there is reason for concern and everyone would like to see him break out this year. However, he has two options left and he could still break through at 25.

I think this is a big year in the O's organization for him because Mahoney and Townsend may be passing him if he does not develop in the near future.

Nobody is so hopeless they have no chance of contending, besides maybe the Pirates. The O's are ~15 games from contending. It's pretty weak criticism to say that there are a bunch of other teams in easier divisions 10 or 12 games back.
This doesn't even remotely answer the question I asked you.

Well, you must think having tons more young, good, developed talent is "pretty much no change", and that an F grade is the same as a C+/B-

The problem is, everyone else has added their own young talent.

So yes, as an organization we are better off. But when you compare it to who we have to play, we aren't any further along.

If anything, we have lost ground since AM took over because Tor and Tampa are stronger organizations now.

Archived