Naming a child after an Oriole

csgordos

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My neighbors chocolate Lab is named Brady, does that count?

If I had a son he was going to be named Brady. Instead, we had four daughters. Therefore, I did not get a chance to use it. So when we got our dog, a Sheltie, we named him Brady Earl. What a combination, a beefed up dog that kicks dirt on people. Actually, our dog is very well behaved.

One of my middle school math teachers had a kid named Calvin Ripken N------ after You Know Who. I never met his wife, but she must have been very understanding. He had pictures and newspaper cutouts of Cal plastered all over the classroom. Great math teacher, too. I was sorry when he got promoted to some kind of system curricular supervisory position.

Pathetic? Really? It is a name' date=' it doesnt dictate the morals and values the child will have..that is determined by the parents.

BTW-- if you want to post a worthless remark at least know how to spell McGwire's last name :)[/quote']

The choice for a child's name indicates the good or poor judgment of the parents. The child has to bear the consequences of good and bad choices, including but not limited to the name, made by his or her parents. If one chooses to name a child after a celebrity, it's safer to pick a dead one.

Apparently McGwire's ancestors couldn't write and the family surname was Americanized. Thanks for the correction.

BTW, there's a reason few children are named "Adolf."

The choice for a child's name indicates the good or poor judgment of the parents. The child has to bear the consequences of good and bad choices, including but not limited to the name, made by his or her parents. If one chooses to name a child after a celebrity, it's safer to pick a dead one.

Apparently McGwire's ancestors couldn't write and the family surname was Americanized. Thanks for the correction.

BTW, there's a reason few children are named "Adolf."

I would say this theory is only relevant in extreme cases. If a child is named Mark or Calvin or Brett, do you really think they are being branded for life and being given a cross to bear? These are common names and just because the sports hero they were named after turns out to have gambled, used PEDs, or even cheated on his wife, I don't see that as reason for public criticism.

There is a huge difference in naming your child after a known murderer, rapist, terrorist....especially if the name is only associated with that individual.

That is not the case with 99% of sports inspired names.

Count me in w/ the folks with a SON named Camden. Saw only a couple, but several posts as that name for a girl. Funny, because I never saw it as a girls name. We were looking for first name that started with 'C' to pair with middle name Joseph (I was stuck on 'CJ' as the short version of his name, which I still love). My daughter was doing a project for school, one of those 'what I did last summer' type things; part of it was about getting front row seats at an O's game. My wife saw the Camden Yards thing and thought, hmm, Camden Joseph, I like that. She told me, and I of course loved it. The rest is (and will be) history. I mean, how could a lefthanded kid named Camden NOT become a rightfielder or pitcher for the O's? He's only 3 so I won't put too much pressure on him though ;)

My wife painted a replica of the large green sign on the warehouse on my son's wall, which says 'ORIOLE PARK AT CAMDEN'S YARD'. A subtle but significant moving of the 'S', and it looks awesome, exactly like the sign! She did a great job, the colors match up perfectly...I had a picture of it but I can't find it now.

I would say this theory is only relevant in extreme cases. If a child is named Mark or Calvin or Brett' date=' do you really think they are being branded for life and being given a cross to bear? These are common names and just because the sports hero they were named after turns out to have gambled, used PEDs, or even cheated on his wife, I don't see that as reason for public criticism.

There is a huge difference in naming your child after a known murderer, rapist, terrorist....especially if the name is only associated with that individual.

That is not the case with 99% of sports inspired names.[/quote']

Agreed.

Why do people want to have kids anyway?

To quote Lindsey Naegle, "I dream of an America with nudity and F-words on network TV. Where the whole world doesn't stop because a school bus did. Children are the future… today belongs to me!" and "Poor me… all my purse is full of is disposable income."

Archived