MacPhail on trade possibilities

bird watcher

Has he said he knows better this spring or are you talking about his quotes from last year? Because if it's the latter I dunno how much anyone listened to Trembley, Samuel, or any of the other coaches before Buck got to town. And I really wouldn't blame them.

And THIS is why I will continue to disagree with your comments regarding Jones. I could care less if a manager is 500 games under .500. As long as he is emplyed as the Manager of the Team, then you damn sure better listen to every word he says, because HE is your boss, not the other way around.

Sometimes we hold ballplayers to different standards then normal people, but if they had this attitude in a regular working position, they would be fired for insubordination.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has he said he knows better this spring or are you talking about his quotes from last year? Because if it's the latter I dunno how much anyone listened to Trembley, Samuel, or any of the other coaches before Buck got to town. And I really wouldn't blame them.

I'm referring to his quotes from last spring, although his quotes downplaying Buck's influence this spring haven't exactly been endearing either.

As for not listeing to Trembley, Samuel, etc, perhaps that was the reason the team was in the mess that it was when Buck arrived. I don't care if you've won a Gold Glove or made the All Star team, you should always listen to the coaching staff. The collective experience amongst them dwarfs whatever Joens thinks he already knows.

4-5 times? Oh the horror. Though I do recall every other outfielder in MLB not having balls hit over their head once, let alone 4-5 times.

You misunderstand. Perhaps on purpose. I saw way more than 4-5 balls hit over his head.

I was talking about a certain style of awful play. Which did happen more than once. A horrible looking play that really made me question his whole approach to defence.

Also he may have a strong arm but does anyone ever remember him throwing the ball accurately? It is almost always off line. Usually by ten or fifteen feet.

I dont think anyone is afraid to run on him.

and I hope he continues to do so.

As an outfielder who played ball during the Paul Blair era, we all tried to play shallow. Playing shallow cuts down alot more line drive singles than the occasional ball that gets over your head for a double. Modern OF'ers all play too deep, seems they all are afraid of looking bad on the ESPN highlight shows.

I'm glad Jones plays shallow, he should continue to. It shows guts and courage.

Guts and courage. Whoopee.

The next time guts and courage wins baseball games, let me know.

The key to this is AM said you have to see what happens with other teams.

Best case scenario is some team needs a power lefty bat and offer a lot for Scott but they aren't trading Scott.

So, the only way a deal is made is if the Orioles undervalue Reimold or some team wants to overpay for Pie because they see him as their everyday CFer.

What are the chances of those things happening?

I'm referring to his quotes from last spring, although his quotes downplaying Buck's influence this spring haven't exactly been endearing either.

C'mon even Buck has said he didn't come in and wave a magic wand. He gives most of the credit to the players and coming into a situation where the O's finally got healthy.

I mean what should Adam say, "Man this Buck guy walks on water. He came in sprinkled some 'better-baseball-dust' and wham, bam, thank you ma'am we were an unstoppable baseball team" ?

Seriously, if someone was asking you everyday about your improvement at work and giving ALL the credit to your boss, how long would it be before you got tired of answering the same question, when it was you and your other coworkers who were out there doing the work?

The key to this is AM said you have to see what happens with other teams.

Best case scenario is some team needs a power lefty bat and offer a lot for Scott but they aren't trading Scott.

So, the only way a deal is made is if the Orioles undervalue Reimold or some team wants to overpay for Pie because they see him as their everyday CFer.

What are the chances of those things happening?

A better question is this.

What kind of player would it take for you to move Pie? How about Reimold? I think the organization is currently at a point where they would rather trade Pie than Reimold, but what kind of deal would it take to move either one of them?

It's not hearsay. There are actual quotes in black and white where Jones has said he has not listened to the coaching staff and will continue to do his own thing. That's why people rag on him.

And I'm not even referring to him swinging at balls low and away constantly. I understand that's a pitch recognition thing and he simply may not be able to correct that. I'm talking more about his propensity on playing shallow, thus allowing fly balls over his head to fall in needlessly. That's a positioning issue and a coaching issue, and he's been very stubborn in working on that. I believe the fact that he won a Gold Glove only cemented in his mind that HE knows best, rather than the coaching staff.

Well, if this actually is an issue, then Buck will fix it. I tend to take the fact that he plays at a depth where he is comfortable means that the coaches are fine with it. If Buck doesn't think it is OK, then he will fix it or sit him. I tend to trust experienced major league coaches over people on the OH (as much as I love the OH!).

If Jones continues to play shallow then it means either he is listening to his coaches or that Buck isn't all that he was made out to be. And I don't see people here making that argument against Buck.

C'mon even Buck has said he didn't come in and wave a magic wand. He gives most of the credit to the players and coming into a situation where the O's finally got healthy.

I mean what should Adam say, "Man this Buck guy walks on water. He came in sprinkled some 'better-baseball-dust' and wham, bam, thank you ma'am we were an unstoppable baseball team" ?

Seriously, if someone was asking you everyday about your improvement at work and giving ALL the credit to your boss, how long would it be before you got tired of answering the same question, when it was you and your other coworkers who were out there doing the work?

Your line of thinking is off. First, if a Manager deflects praise for himself by placing it on the players, thats called being modest and being a good manager by giving the players the glory. When a player says "it was all me" that's called ego.

Second, Roberts and Kakes and a lot of the guys have answered this question by saying "we got healthy and Buck gave us 'something' that turned the team around." Its a SOFTER approach then saying "Buck just fills out the lineup card."

And finally, the boss ALWAYS gets the credit. The "workers" job is to make the boss look good.

A better question is this.

What kind of player would it take for you to move Pie? How about Reimold? I think the organization is currently at a point where they would rather trade Pie than Reimold, but what kind of deal would it take to move either one of them?

Good Question and more on topic than Jones' positioning.

I am not sure it takes a whole lot for Pie. We are in a position where we can accept minor leaguers for him. If we can get a A or AA pitcher with some promise I think we do it.

I am not trading Reimold right now. I think his bat has too much upside. I look at Werth's contract and ask if Reimold can be as good or better.

I don't believe he was EVER "ready" to trade Reim for Bartlett. I think you're totally missing "the game". I think he wanted Hardy all along. Same kind of thing with Lee. Talked to LaRoche, talked to LaRoche, talked to LaRoche, signed Lee.

Exactly. If MacPhail had wanted Bartlett and wanted to trade Reimold for him, then we would have Bartlett right now.

Archived