Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The potential for three "demoralizing" starts between now and April 21 is what leads the BAL FO to punt on the service time issues?

I guess the word I'd use is "fickle"?

Look at when those starts occur and who the teams are.

Why potentially punt games vs. the Rays, Rangers, Yankees and Twins?

How does that show the other 24 guys on the roster that you are committed to winning? You've just showed them a video and based your spring on emphasizing winning.

Stop thinking about the business side for a second and think about the emotional side. These guys just lost one of their best arms and that's demoralizing enough, but then you call up a guy like Drese, VandenHurk or Jakubauskas and they are what you go with when you have a guy like Britton available?

How could any manager look his team in the face and say they are committed to winning this year and have them believe him? The Orioles have to have credibility with their players. It started this offseason with the investments they've made, so they can't back down now.

IMO, both Bergy and Tillman are sketchy at this point as well. So you are going with Guthrie, Tillman? Arrieta, Bergy?, and Drese/etc. for 20 starts.

Yeah -- I think it's silly to act like Britton is some sort of savior. If Bergie/Tillman are issues, what does Britton have to do with it? Either you think the rotation is solid enough that these first three weeks are going to be potentially meaningful, or you don't.

If the argument is that you NEED Britton because he is so much better than anything else BAL could sub in and Guthrie and Arrieta are the only arms you are comfy with, well, this isn't a competitive team and there's no reason to burn the service time.

Look at when those starts occur and who the teams are.

Why potentially punt games vs. the Rays, Rangers, Yankees and Twins?

How does that show the other 24 guys on the roster that you are committed to winning? You've just showed them a video and based your spring on emphasizing winning.

Stop thinking about the business side for a second and think about the emotional side. These guys just lost one of their best arms and that's demoralizing enough, but then you call up a guy like Drese, VandenHurk or Jakubauskas and they are what you go with when you have a guy like Britton available?

How could any manager look his team in the face and say they are committed to winning this year and have them believe him? The Orioles have to have credibility with their players. It started this offseason with the investments they've made, so they can't back down now.

If a front office uses this rationale for decision making, I just disagree with it on principal -- setting aside the fact that I think you (and others) are dramatically overstating the likely effect of having Britton in the rotation.

The only way they save time is if they shut him down at the end of the year and they option him back in September.

Either that or he sucks and gets sent back down.

This doesn't seem so far-fetched. If the Orioles are out of contention by then as most predict, then go ahead and option him back in September.

If he's been pitching great, he'll probably have enough innings by then to call it a season.

If he hasn't, then it's no big loss to send him back down anyway.

And if by chance he has been pitching great AND the O's are still in contention, then it makes sense to keep him as long as his innings permit.

This doesn't seem so far-fetched. If the Orioles are out of contention by then as most predict, then go ahead and option him back in September.

If he's been pitching great, he'll probably have enough innings by then to call it a season.

If he hasn't, then it's no big loss to send him back down anyway.

And if by chance he has been pitching great AND the O's are still in contention, then it makes sense to keep him as long as his innings permit.

So if this scenario happened, would we still have him for the 7 years?

So if this scenario happened, would we still have him for the 7 years?

According to wildcard

Britton has to stay in the minors for 20 days for the O's to contractally control him for 7 years. But the 20 days does not have to be at the beginning for his rookie year. It can be anytime in the first 4 years.
then yes, if he goes back down for 20 days (this year or another year) then the 7th year kicks in.

If true, we'll no longer get the extra year of service time.

Let's act like a team that is seizing the moment, that actually believes they're on the upward swing. He's was, by far, out best freakin' pitcher in ST, let's get his left handed, sinker-throwing behind out there and give us the best chance to WIN GAMES TODAY, not worry about his salary in 6/7 years.

Two things: What if BM has to miss more than 3 to 6 weeks? It is really hard too predict how long a player will be out with a back injury. Doctors can not just go in and operate and give a reasonable time-table like most injuries.

I wanted too see Britton get the time in the minors for several reasons, but at this point he seems to be the best option. In 6 or 7 years a lot could change about the Orioles, and baseball contracts, so I am ok with trying to play for the moment.

One way too look at it would be; maybe PA has sold the team by then, and the new ownership may not want our best pitcher moving 200 miles up I-95.

I understand the argument for argument sake...but it is a bit ludicrous IMO. If Britton was a position player, I would delay bringing him up. I believe a pitcher is a totally different beast. Think back over the last seven years and the supposed great arms the O's have had and look at the number that ended having arm injuries and/or never lived up to expectations.

When a pitcher is ready to make the the move, move them. The idea or hope the extra year of service 7 years down the road is more worthwhile than having him now is wishful thinking and flawed, like free beer tomorrow.

Archived