Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody can predict that. Did anyonne predict San Fran winning the WS, or San Diego winning 90, or Cincy winning their division?

I predicted Cincy winning their division.

Where's the pats myself on the back emoticon.:D

They absolutely did.

They let the emotion of the Matusz injury, the 2-16 start last year and the momentum of the offseason/end of last season get the best of them.

Heaven forbid this team actually try to win as many games as they can this season and try to capitalize on the players having a spark for once. :rolleyes:

Because baseball is all about how young and cheap a team you can win with, it's not just about winning...

And if he pitches well? You don't think it would be hard to send him down?

Hopefully,he pitches lights out. We would finally have a true ace in the rotation. That would keep the O's fans optimistic and buying tickets. We could always extend him in his third or fourth year. The O's need to get back some of their fanbase.

The Orioles made the move on emotion, not rational thinking and intelligence.

They made a right now move, which is not the way the team should be thinking.

Andy emotional?:rofl: It might not be the right decision, but not because he didn't think hard about it. Certainly more than you think about any thing you bloviate. I think Buck really wanted to bring up Britton becuase he wants to win now, especially early in the season to get things going in the right direction. If Buck weren't the manager I'd be surprised if AM didn't go iwith the stop gaps at least until the 21. I think Andy gave into Bucks arguments aboiut the current strengths and weaknesses of our pitching staff. Britton, Guthrie, and Arrieta are the arms most stretched out right now and most capable of going deep in games. I don't think Buck wanted to risk the bullpen, going with Drese, Bergy and Tillman for 3 weeks.

Hopefully,he pitches lights out. We would finally have a true ace in the rotation. That would keep the O's fans optimistic and buying tickets. We could always extend him in his third or fourth year. The O's need to get back some of their fanbase.

Is anybody reading anyone else's posts? Why do people keep bringing up these issues that have already been discussed?

He's a Boras client. The chances of an extension are somewhere in the vicinity of an Orioles playoff run this year. And with an extra year in hand, any extension that may get done could be cheaper.

Andy emotional?:rofl: It might not be the right decision, but not because he didn't think hard about it. Certainly more than you think about any thing you bloviate. I think Buck really wanted to bring up Britton becuase he wants to win now, especially early in the season to get things going in the right direction. If Buck weren't the manager I'd be surprised if AM didn't go iwith the stop gaps at least until the 21. I think Andy gave into Bucks arguments aboiut the current strengths and weaknesses of our pitching staff. Britton, Guthrie, and Arrieta are the arms most stretched out right now and most capable of going deep in games. I don't think Buck wanted to risk the bullpen, going with Drese, Bergy and Tillman for 3 weeks.

I think if any of that were the case they would have brought him up to start the year and just sent Tillman down.

That's the real issue with this whole thing. Either you want him up, don't care about the extra year and he starts the season in Baltimore, or you want that year and everything that comes with it and you have other options planned so he can be in Norfolk as long as you want.

As it stands, there is a disconnect in the logic of the move. It simply doesn't make sense to bring him up this early after sending him down in the first place.

Is anybody reading anyone else's posts? Why do people keep bringing up these issues that have already been discussed?

He's a Boras client. The chances of an extension are somewhere in the vicinity of an Orioles playoff run this year. And with an extra year in hand, any extension that may get done could be cheaper.

Then you think there's a chance?:laughlol:

Here is an interesting article about Scott Boras:

Way back in the late ’90s, Boras was deeply involved with the Los Angeles Dodgers because of his prominent clients on their roster. Management embraced Boras and sought his counsel, believing he could assist them in achieving their goals.

Boras repeatedly helped the Dodgers resolve difficult situations with several of their best players. He prevented small internal issues from becoming big problems.

Other organizations also have privately leaned on Boras. During his more than 30 years in baseball, Boras has been encouraged to intervene with players. One general manager I know once asked Boras to reach out to a player who wasn’t one of his clients.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/scott-boras-nationals-are-in-this-together/2011/03/19/ABulEOx_story.html

I think if any of that were the case they would have brought him up to start the year and just sent Tillman down.

That's the real issue with this whole thing. Either you want him up, don't care about the extra year and he starts the season in Baltimore, or you want that year and everything that comes with it and you have other options planned so he can be in Norfolk as long as you want.

As it stands, there is a disconnect in the logic of the move. It simply doesn't make sense to bring him up this early after sending him down in the first place.

There's a difference between a rotation where Tillman is your 5th starter and not starting before the 10th, with Bergy healthy and stretched out in your #4 spot, and one where Bergy hasn't put in enough innings and Matusz is out for 3-6 weeks.They had other options before Bergy got hit with a line drive, Matusz went on the DL. Duke, went to see his chiropracter again, and Drese hasn't looked so hot.

Here is an interesting article about Scott Boras:

Way back in the late ’90s, Boras was deeply involved with the Los Angeles Dodgers because of his prominent clients on their roster. Management embraced Boras and sought his counsel, believing he could assist them in achieving their goals.

Boras repeatedly helped the Dodgers resolve difficult situations with several of their best players. He prevented small internal issues from becoming big problems.

Other organizations also have privately leaned on Boras. During his more than 30 years in baseball, Boras has been encouraged to intervene with players. One general manager I know once asked Boras to reach out to a player who wasn’t one of his clients.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/scott-boras-nationals-are-in-this-together/2011/03/19/ABulEOx_story.html

Duly noted. But it also doesn't change his track record when it comes to his clients tending much more towards the free-agent market.

There's a difference between a rotation where Tillman is your 5th starter and not starting before the 10th, with Bergy healthy and stretched out in your #4 spot, and one where Bergy hasn't put in enough innings and Matusz is out for 3-6 weeks.They had other options before Bergy got hit with a line drive, Matusz went on the DL. Duke, went to see his chiropracter again, and Drese hasn't looked so hot.

They still have other options. Hendrickson, for example. And if Bergesen is the issue, why was he mentioned as an option before Britton?

It could just be that the decision to send him down vs keeping him was a close one. Buck or Andy or whomever wanted to keep him (probably Buck) was probably persuaded by the fact that other viable options were available. Those options no longer exist. With the choice of bringing him up or using fodder such as Hendrickson the argument has swung the other way. It's as simple as that.

Archived