Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

And this happens with how many Boras clients? And I don't mean extension through controlled years. I mean into FA.

Pitchers are different than position players IMO. They risk career ending injuries, at anytime, so if the O's come to Britton with a legit offer, I believe they can resign him, regardless of Boras being his agent

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pitchers are different than position players IMO. They risk career ending injuries, at anytime, so if the O's come to Britton with a legit offer, I believe they can resign him, regardless of Boras being his agent

Can you name a Boras pitcher where this has happened?

BMat threw 175.2 IP last year, over the course of 32 starts..That is about 5.5 IP per start.

Should BMat have been sent down?

He also pitched 44 innings the year before. My point is you see guys getting a cup of coffee the year before they pitch a full season in the bigs. You don't see teams ask a rookie to pitch an entire year in the bigs with no big league experience. Guys like Hughes and Bucholz are great examples, they didn't come up and pitch great right away. People act like he is going to be Fernando Mania 2011 version.

I just think this issue will be handled and it won't be that difficult. .

After all of this talk, you still don't get it? Very sad.

I get that the Orioles need to win now before you think about them winning 7 years from now.

You are looking way too much at the big picture and the business side.

The start of this season is ultra important to this ultra important season. If the Orioles fail this season the entire rebuild of Andy MacPhail's will have been a waste and a failure. It's now or never with this group and Britton can help them make sure it's now.

BTW, if Britton is pitching well and has a chance at ROY and the Orioles demote him in September, many of you will be in some kind of an uproar.

End of the day, the only way the Orioles gain this year back, in all likelihood, is if Britton struggles and needs to be sent down.

If that doesn't happen, its highly unlikely they demote him at the end of the year.

If that's the case, why didn't they do that with Arrieta last year?

When has this ever happened to any player on any team?

Arrieta didn't accrue a full year of service. They didn't need to.

I get that the Orioles need to win now before you think about them winning 7 years from now.

I couldn't agree with this part any more. And the same could be said that the other side "doesn't get it".

I never would have thought the poll would go from 92.5-7.5 in favor of sending Britton down for 21 days to the majority wanting to bring him up because of this injury.

It doesn't change that it's still just 21 days and 2-3 starts by the #5... You're just replacing Matusz instead of Tillman.

I couldn't agree with this part any more. And the same could be said that the other side "doesn't get it".

I never would have thought the poll would go from 92.5-7.5 in favor of sending Britton down for 21 days to the majority wanting to bring him up because of this injury.

It doesn't change that it's still just 21 days and 2-3 starts by the #5... You're just replacing Matusz instead of Tillman.

IMO, there are some that would rather see the Orioles win only a certain way following certain practices, than to see them win period, partially because they believe there is only one way to win. The problem is, timeframe doesn't seem to matter to them.

I don't care how they win or how expensive or inexpensive it is or whether it's a bunch of 20 year olds or 30 year olds. It's been 13 years and I don't want to see it be 14.

He also pitched 44 innings the year before. My point is you see guys getting a cup of coffee the year before they pitch a full season in the bigs. You don't see teams ask a rookie to pitch an entire year in the bigs with no big league experience. Guys like Hughes and Bucholz are great examples, they didn't come up and pitch great right away. People act like he is going to be Fernando Mania 2011 version.

I just think this issue will be handled and it won't be that difficult. .

Ok fine..then you are rooting for him to struggle and fail.

And trust me, I am clearly not the one thinking this is going to be Fernando mania.

You are looking way too much at the big picture and the business side.

The start of this season is ultra important to this ultra important season. If the Orioles fail this season the entire rebuild of Andy MacPhail's will have been a waste and a failure. It's now or never with this group and Britton can help them make sure it's now.

If the team fails this year, it won't be because Britton didn't get 3 extra starts in April.

I couldn't agree with this part any more. And the same could be said that the other side "doesn't get it".I never would have thought the poll would go from 92.5-7.5 in favor of sending Britton down for 21 days to the majority wanting to bring him up because of this injury.

You could say it...but there would be very little intelligence and reason behind the argument.

IMO, there are some that would rather see the Orioles win only a certain way following certain practices, than to see them win period, partially because they believe there is only one way to win. The problem is, timeframe doesn't seem to matter to them.

I don't care how they win or how expensive or inexpensive it is or whether it's a bunch of 20 year olds or 30 year olds. It's been 13 years and I don't want to see it be 14.

LOL...The irony is hysterical here.

Mr there is only one way to build a winning team.

LOL...Do you actually read what you write?

LOL...The irony is hysterical here.

Mr there is only one way to build a winning team.

LOL...Do you actually read what you write?

There was only one way to build a team to win now given what the Orioles had in their system (trades and FA) and for the most part, the Orioles made a decent effort at it this offseason.

There are many ways to build a team to sustain winning, but winning now is the most important thing. A lot of people tend to forget that. We've got to win before we can sustain winning. And with all the emphasis put on winning every game this season, the O's couldn't justify leaving Britton down with a crippled rotation. The players were already surprised that Britton would be left down to begin with, and I don't think they'd love the idea of leaving him down when Matusz would be hurt as well. You can't have your team questioning your commitment to win. That happened under Trembley and we saw the results. The team mailed it in because winning wasn't as important as development. Now winning is important and the Orioles have to keep reinforcing that.

Archived