Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

Winning is not guaranteed if Britton, who has never thrown a ML pitch, is in there instead of someone else.

Let's say it is 5 starts, and Britton wins 3 and the other guys win 2. Worth it then?

For a win? Maybe 2?

Are we finishing 1 or 2 games out of the playoffs? Not happening.

Maybe.

However can you imagine how you would feel if we finish three games or less out of the wildcard? Tampa Bay and New York look potential vunerable.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, its a terrible decision.

for 2 starts, yes, for 5 minus Matusz? No. Against this stiff schedule, you can't give away Matusz starts for 3 to 6 weeks and not replace them with some possibility. You can't lose your #2 starter and replace him with your #5 starter with a straight face and also say you want to win. Britton has pitched like a #3 in the Spring. None of your #5's have come close. You bring him up to attempt to fill in for your #2. Period. This season matters. Does 2 starts matter as much? No. That all changed.

People did not agree with this before. In fact, that notion was ridiculed incessantly.

Are you trying to be obtuse? I disagreed with the decision but the situation is clearly different, no matter how much you try to sarcastically say it isn't.

for 2 starts, yes, for 5 minus Matusz? No. Against this stiff schedule, you can't give away Matusz starts for 3 to 6 weeks and not replace them with some possibility. You can't lose your #2 starter and replace him with your #5 starter with a straight face and also say you want to win. Britton has pitched like a #3 in the Spring. None of your #5's have come close. You bring him up to attempt to fill in for your #2. Period. This season matters. Does 2 starts matter as much? No. That all changed.

This gives Britton 3 more starts. That's not enough to justify the move.

No, its a terrible decision.

Why can't they just send him down at some point to save on service time? In June we have off days on the 2nd, 9th, 13th, 23rd and 27th. In July you have the 3 day all-star break and then off days on the 21rst and 25th. You have 3 weeks stretches where you only need a 5th starter once.

its still just 3 weeks. What about all of those models/projections? Those would show a possible increase of +2/3rds of a win?

something like that. People were fired about that before.

This tells me how close the decision was in regards to sending him down or not. In my mind, it's all about calculated risks. With this combination of pitchers, we should get at least this many wins. With a different combination, we'll end up with a different win total. It's a given that you're not going to win them all, so you calculate what you think will happen in the win-loss column and determine what you're willing to live with. Makes sense to me.

Why can't they just send him down at some point to save on service time? In June we have off days on the 2nd, 9th, 13th, 23rd and 27th. In July you have the 3 day all-star break and then off days on the 21rst and 25th. You have 3 weeks stretches where you only need a 5th starter once.

There is no way he ever sees the minors again unless he is ineffective or hurt.

Do you want either of those things to happen?

Boras is having players sign extensions nowadays so it isn't out of the question.

And to answer the poll question - yes, great move here by Buck and MacPhail. :thumbsup1:

Other than CarGo, whose extension was an awful deal for the Rockies, what other Boras clients are signing pre-FA extensions?

Are you trying to be obtuse? I disagreed with the decision but the situation is clearly different, no matter how much you try to sarcastically say it isn't.

Give me a break. You were wrong before and you're wrong now. Simple as that.

:thumbsup1:

Archived