Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

wow, 50-50, kind of amazing. The future is now. 2016 is a long way off. Things happen, injuries happen. The season matters. You don't surrender 6 weeks after losing #2 pitcher for 3 weeks. You just don't. If Britton is all that, you try to sign him long term for big dollars. The payroll is low enough to withstand that, no sweat. If he is just ok, then no loss. If it were not for his his jerk agent, this is a no brainer.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 50-50, kind of amazing.

The future is now. 2016 is a long way off. Things happen, injuries happen. The season matters. You don't surrender 6 weeks after losing #2 pitcher for 3 weeks. You just don't. If Britton is all that, you try to sign him long term for big dollars. The payroll is low enough to withstand that, no sweat. If he is just ok, then no loss. If it were not for his his jerk agent, this is a no brainer.

I'm surprised, too. I was expecting a landslide for calling him up. Oh well. I guess that's why they make the polls. ;)

I'm much less concerned with the service time issue, at this point, than I am with the organization doing an about face.

I expect him to have good and bad starts -- the idea that he's going to come up and be the best arm on the staff instantaneously seems far fetched to me (considering the command and pitch quality I saw in the spring). I also don't buy into the idea that his presence will be dramatically different than Bergie or Vanden Hurk or Berken or Jakubauskas over the three week span.

Just doesn't seem like a well thought out move at all.

All that said, I'm of course looking forward to seeing him throw on Sunday.

If Matusz is out 3-6 weeks, then it's the best thing to do. There's no way this team can go that long cobbling together a rotataion with the likes of Drese and Vandebhurk.

Wouldn't you just need place holders until April 21 -- when he was supposedly going to be called-up anyway?

Wouldn't you just need place holders until April 21 -- when he was supposedly going to be called-up anyway?
I suppose, but I guess they don't agree with you that the difference is marginal between the place holders and Britton, and don't want to risk a demoralizingly poor start.

I suppose, but I guess they don't agree with you that the difference is marginal between the place holders and Britton, and don't want to risk a demoralizingly poor start.

The potential for three "demoralizing" starts between now and April 21 is what leads the BAL FO to punt on the service time issues?

I guess the word I'd use is "fickle"?

What makes you think they won't option him if they have to?

He doesn't have to completely tank to be sent down either.

If he would of been called up on the 21rst he wasn't going to pitch the whole year here anyway. They could of just shut him down at the end of the year if they had to. They are not going to take a kid who has a grand total of 66 innings at AAA and have him pitch a crazy number of innings at the big leagues.

Yea because a pitcher has never gone to the majors for good with little AAA experience.

The potential for three "demoralizing" starts between now and April 21 is what leads the BAL FO to punt on the service time issues?

I guess the word I'd use is "fickle"?

IMO, both Bergy and Tillman are sketchy at this point as well. So you are going with Guthrie, Tillman? Arrieta, Bergy?, and Drese/etc. for 20 starts.

Archived