Jones growing up, calming down

O's are Legends

No, not really. I'm most impressed by the fact he's already good despite being only 25.

And I prefer to emphasize the positive instead of framing everything negatively because a guy has a Twitter account.

How can that be, you don't put some stupid thumbs up before every one of your posts to make people think you're really positive.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every time you post I root harder for Jones. Clearly they've figured out how to get him out? After he had an .800+ OPS in three of the last four months of '10?

Oh, well, at least we don't have the Red Sox' worries. The league has clearly figured out how to get Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Drew, Crawford, and Scutaro out. Let's see if they can make the adjustment.

Good, he needs all the rooting he can get. Maybe if you root real hard he'll go from not half bad to not one quarter bad. Would that make him better than average?

Good, he needs all the rooting he can get. Maybe if you root real hard he'll go from not half bad to not one quarter bad. Would that make him better than average?

Nope, just like your Trea'esque obsession over hating on Jones because of his attitude and "hype" doesn't make him a poor player. Get over yourself.

How can that be, you don't put some stupid thumbs up before every one of your posts to make people think you're really positive.

I must say I'm still pretty new to the board, but that sarcastic thumbs up that guy puts before his posts is one of the silliest things on the OH.

Nope, just like your Trea'esque obsession over hating on Jones because of his attitude and "hype" doesn't make him a poor player. Get over yourself.
If you are taking this all that seriously I think you need to get over yourself. This long ago ceased to be about my opinions of Jones play.

If you are taking this all that seriously I think you need to get over yourself. This long ago ceased to be about my opinions of Jones play.

You keep getting pwned with facts and going back to your same BS. This is a Trea'esque performance. So I stand firm in that YOU need to get over yourself. It'd be great for all of us.

Do you think Jones is an all around league average(or slightly better) CFer?

Will you answer SG's question or ignore it?

Will you answer SG's question or ignore it?
According to Fangraphs there are 16 CF who have had 1600+ PA from 2008 -2011. Jones is 15th in WAR, 14th in wOBA, and 14th in OBP. I'd say that makes him well below average in that group. He's 7th in BA or a bit above league average if you value that stat. He is 12th in SLG so still below average there, but not as much. Over all below average with the bat, IMO. League average is another thing all together and I don't think it is relevent to this discussion because it includes everyone who ever played CF during that time span. In terms of fielding Fangraphs rates him 11th out of 17, during that same period. Since Drungo doesn't seem to care for UZR from Fangraphs, I'll use the Fielding Bible ratings. In terms of +- they had him ranked 11 in 2008, 32 in 2009, qnd 31 in 2010, He rates much better with his arm 2 in '08, and 1 in '09 and '10. He had 2 RS in '08 , 12 in '09 and 8 in '10, with his arm, and this is why his overall fielding ratings aren't much worse. He is doing well so far in 2011, he's ranked 8th. :laughlol: Overall below average with the bat and glove among CF with similar playing time. But hey, he's only 25.

Actually, I thought the rest of us had long since decided he was an average player with upside, and the whole rest of the thread was you disagreeing.

According to Fangraphs there are 16 CF who have had 1600+ PA from 2008 -2011. Jones is 15th in WAR, 14th in wOBA, and 14th in OBP. I'd say that makes him well below average in that group. He's 7th in BA or a bit above league average if you value that stat. He is 12th in SLG so still below average there, but not as much. Over all below average with the bat, IMO. League average is another thing all together and I don't think it is relevent to this discussion because it includes everyone who ever played CF during that time span. In terms of fielding Fangraphs rates him 11th out of 17, during that same period. Since Drungo doesn't seem to care for UZR from Fangraphs, I'll use the Fielding Bible ratings. In terms of +- they had him ranked 11 in 2008, 32 in 2009, qnd 31 in 2010, He rates much better with his arm 2 in '08, and 1 in '09 and '10. He had 2 RS in '08 , 12 in '09 and 8 in '10, with his arm, and this is why his overall fielding ratings aren't much worse. He is doing well so far in 2011, he's ranked 8th. :laughlol: Overall below average with the bat and glove among CF with similar playing time. But hey, he's only 25.

Yep, that's all true if you selectively pick your facts. You start off relying only on UZR, then switch to the range-only component of +/- (only secondarily admitting his arm is good, but failing to mention that moves him well up the overall CF fielding rankings). Then you specifically limit playing time to a range that gerrymanders him into looking worse than he is.

If you use a consensus of UZR, overall +/-, total zone, and the fans' survey for fielding, and a fair sampling of his peers on offense you would probably come to the conclusion that he's above average. But that doesn't mix well with your opinion that he's a nonstop hype machine that seems to think he's the love child of Willie Mays and Honus Wagner, so instead we get your carefully slanted viewpoint.

Archived