MLB taking over the LA Dodgers

nevadaO

MLB is taking over the day-to-day operations of the Dodgers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ar2mzoZ4BgNS1oeMhpDCcMI5nYcB?slug=ap-mlb-dodgers

I must be out of the loop because I really didn't see this happening. I'm not a baseball financial guy, are the Dodgers doing that badly?

Marge Schott got suspended for some horrible comments she made, what did McCourt do?

I would not have been surprised to hear that MLB was taking over a team this season. I expected it to be the Mets though, I didn't think the Dodgers situation was that bad. I knew McCourt would eventually have to sell but I didn't think a step this drastic would be required.

I must be out of the loop, because I really didn't see this happening.

Me neither. Almost all of my baseball fandom energies have been and will continue to be focused squarely on the team that sports orange and black uniforms, and whose goal is to improve from 7-9 to 8-9 by the end of the evening. I´ll be thrilled if we can extend our winning streak to 2 games. :)

I must be out of the loop because I really didn't see this happening. I'm not a baseball financial guy, are the Dodgers doing that badly?

Marge Schott got suspended for some horrible comments she made, what did McCourt do?

He married Jamie Luskin.

Actually, the divorce is only part of it. There's a lot of smoke out there surrounding the question of whether he actually has any money left. He just took a $30 million loan from Fox against Bud Selig's wishes, and is rumored to be offering Fox the TV rights for the next 20 years for more cash when MLB wants them to set up their own RSN.

He was likely going to have to sell down the road despite his desire to keep the Dodgers. This just speeds up that timetable while also making it less likely that a cornerstone franchise of the sport is a smoking hulk when it happens.

I would not have been surprised to hear that MLB was taking over a team this season. I expected it to be the Mets though, I didn't think the Dodgers situation was that bad. I knew McCourt would eventually have to sell but I didn't think a step this drastic would be required.

Selig loves the Wilpons and hates McCourt. I think the Mets will have to be on the verge of folding outright before Selig makes a move there. And it obviously wouldn't get to that point.

Selig loves the Wilpons and hates McCourt. I think the Mets will have to be on the verge of folding outright before Selig makes a move there. And it obviously wouldn't get to that point.

Selig loves the Wilpons and mid to small market teams. Hence why he allowed the Diamondbacks to dig themselves a hole they are finally going to be out from next year in the form of contracts they still owe former players. And why he allows certain teams to pocket the money they get from revenue sharing instead of putting it back into their team.

He married Jamie Luskin.

Actually, the divorce is only part of it. There's a lot of smoke out there surrounding the question of whether he actually has any money left. He just took a $30 million loan from Fox against Bud Selig's wishes, and is rumored to be offering Fox the TV rights for the next 20 years for more cash when MLB wants them to set up their own RSN.

He was likely going to have to sell down the road despite his desire to keep the Dodgers. This just speeds up that timetable while also making it less likely that a cornerstone franchise of the sport is a smoking hulk when it happens.

Word is that FOX loan was needed to cover payroll, so yeah McCourt might be broke. Then there's the PR hit that the Dodgers just took (out of town fan beaten within an inch of his life) coupled with declining attendance, more and more of those who do go to games being labeled as a rough element, lack of security being blamed for attacks.....none of that has helped McCourt any.

Archived