We're waiting on ARod

bigbird

Ahh, I can see it now. Arod doesn't sign for a while. By then, all other teams have moved on. And, the Os have yet another excuse why nothing happened. Excuse my skepticism, but I feel like I've heard this before. And, until they actually have a successful off season, you can leave me on the "doubter" list.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams that need an upgrade at 3B or SS

Cubs

Phillies

Red Sox

Yankees

Giants

Dodgers

Angels

Twins

Blue Jays

D'Backs

Teams that are in the A-Rod sweepstakes

Giants

Angels

Red Sox

Mets

The Cubs are not in the A-Rod sweepstakes no matter how much they want to be. Hendry obviously doesn't like MacPhail's asking price. So it's time to use the teams that are not in the A-Rod sweepstakes as leverage...

Ahh, I can see it now. Arod doesn't sign for a while. By then, all other teams have moved on. And, the Os have yet another excuse why nothing happened. Excuse my skepticism, but I feel like I've heard this before. And, until they actually have a successful off season, you can leave me on the "doubter" list.

Better to have kept Tejada and move forward than to have traded him for Joe Smith, Mike Johnson and Steve Jones..

Is $20M a year too much?

I'd give him $20, but it ain't MY money, so its easy to say that. NOBODY is WORTH what they get paid to play, but $25-30 is just insane. I'm sure I will be wrong, but I would LOVE for every team to give Boras and ARod the proverbial finger and not give him the money. For once and maybe only once, I applaud the Yankees for the stand they are taking with him!

Cubs

Phillies

Red Sox

Yankees

Giants

Dodgers

Angels

Twins

Blue Jays

D'Backs

Giants

Angels

Red Sox

Mets

The Cubs are not in the A-Rod sweepstakes no matter how much they want to be. Hendry obviously doesn't like MacPhail's asking price. So it's time to use the teams that are not in the A-Rod sweepstakes as leverage...

Now find the teams from that list that meet this criteria:

davearm

Board National League Analyst Join Date: Dec 2005

I'm constantly amazed that so many folks seem to think any old team has $13M of payroll available to put into one player.

Some teams can, many can't.

And the ones that can, may not want to put so many eggs in one basket.

The ones that can and want to, would have to think Tejada is the player to invest that money in. Not a small consideration given Tejada's decline, his age, and the PED concerns.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, would have to have a place for him to play.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, and have a place for him to play, would have to have a package of players the O's would be interested in acquiring.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, and have a place for him to play, and have a package of players the O's would be interested in acquiring, would have to be willing to part with that package of players.

I'd love for you to name the 25 teams in MLB that can both afford to sign a player for 2 years / 26 mil AND need a SS/3B.

The market for A-Rod and the market for Tejada are essentially the same. I can think of maybe 3 teams that may want Tejada but not A-Rod. Supply and demand isn't that hard of a concept. If 10 teams are looking for a SS/3B, 7 of them want to go after A-Rod before pursuing Tejada, and you press to make a deal with one of the other 3, you're going to get significantly less return than if you wait until A-Rod is gone and you now have 9 teams pursuing Tejada as their "first" option.

And BTW, it is a huge leap to even add teams looking for 3B because Tejada hasn't said he is willing to play third. That is likely a concern for any team that has a SS but needs a 3B until he publicly or privately states something different to the team in question.

EDIT: Once I read on in the thread, I realized that several other people immediately responded with some version of what I wrote here in an attempt to logically explain why nobody was being "stupid" or "lazy". I apologize for my redundancy. I also noticed that the "debate" ended once the logic began.

There may not be 25 teams in the running but the insiders have confirmed 7.

FWIW, the Philadelphia Inquirer and Sports Weekly included statements recently that Miggy has agreed to play 3rd. They weren't quotes from Miguel or anyone else, just blanket statements, with no explanation, that he is ready to move to 3rd.

I believe it was in the Sunday Inquirer, and last week's Sports Weekly.

It may have been a careless comment from each reporter, but it was said. Again, FWIW.

I'd give him $20, but it ain't MY money, so its easy to say that. NOBODY is WORTH what they get paid to play, but $25-30 is just insane. I'm sure I will be wrong, but I would LOVE for every team to give Boras and ARod the proverbial finger and not give him the money. For once and maybe only once, I applaud the Yankees for the stand they are taking with him!

Well actually I was thinking that $20mil is likely what it will take to get Tex. So I was wondering if you would be onboard with that... personally, I might go $18M but not $20.

The sad thing is Tejada is the main cog. You don't know what to get for Bedard if you can't deal Tejada before him. It just stinks that we are once again being held hostage, waiting for the market to be set by a bunch of GMs that are using an excuse that they are waiting for A-Rod. MacPhail must just chuckle to himself when he hears that...

I didn't know the only 2 options were to wait too long or deal him for garbage.

I didn't say that either... Tejada has a certain value.. it is better to move forward with him, than to trade him for less than that value. Anyone complaining two days into the GM meetings about Tejada not getting moved soon isn't going to get the fair value. Just as those who whinned about Trachsel not being traded at the deadline.. they're still wiping the egg off their face... and apparently haven't learned anything...

Cubs

Phillies

Red Sox

Yankees

Giants

Dodgers

Angels

Twins

Blue Jays

D'Backs

Giants

Angels

Red Sox

Mets

Cubs -- rumored to be focused on OFers

Phillies -- rumored to be focused on pitching

Red Sox -- in the ARod sweepstakes

Yankees -- rumored to be interested in several other 3Bs

Giants -- in the ARod sweepstakes

Dodgers -- in the ARod sweepstakes

Angels -- in the ARod sweepstakes

Twins -- trading for Tejada would be very un-Twins-like

Blue Jays -- not seeing a need here, so long as Glaus is around

D'Backs -- not seeing a need here either

I don't see MacPhail being able to leverage anyone with Tejada right now.

Cubs -- rumored to be focused on OFers

Phillies -- rumored to be focused on pitching

Red Sox -- in the ARod sweepstakes

Yankees -- rumored to be interested in several other 3Bs

Giants -- in the ARod sweepstakes

Dodgers -- in the ARod sweepstakes

Angels -- in the ARod sweepstakes

Twins -- trading for Tejada would be very un-Twins-like

Blue Jays -- not seeing a need here, so long as Glaus is around

D'Backs -- not seeing a need here either

I don't see MacPhail being able to leverage anyone with Tejada right now.

I forgot the White Sox and the Blue Jays could use an upgrade at SS even if they signed McDonald. The Phillies have been mentioned as the other team highly interested in Tejada. I forgot about Reynolds so the D'Backs would be crossed off the list...

Archived