Reimold's AFL season is turning ugly

Frobby

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

four games-0-for 16.

I think you're seeing the true Reimold now-streaky. That 300+ at Bowie last summer was a mirage.It's not to say he won't make it. I just think he's not ready yet and that he's going to wind up doing another season in the minors.

Sounds like he needs to work on adjustments. Pitchers are probably adjusting to his hitting, and he just hasn't quite learned how to adjust back. I would like to know if anyone watching out there has seen this change, and whether the way they are ptiching him is sliders down and outside.

His most significant hole is the breaking ball down and away.

Most pitchers here throw him hard away early, then up and in, and then the breakers down away. If they miss, he can crush it. If they don't, he's pretty hapless.

In the bigs, they don't miss as often and the stuff is somewhat better.

Nolan has a bit to learn, but I think he can do it.

IMO, it's just a question of time.

His most significant hole is the breaking ball down and away.

Most pitchers here throw him hard away early, then up and in, and then the breakers down away. If they miss, he can crush it. If they don't, he's pretty hapless.

In the bigs, they don't miss as often and the stuff is somewhat better.

Nolan has a bit to learn, but I think he can do it.

IMO, it's just a question of time.

Ah, the down and away slider. Hardest pitch to hit, according to Joey Belle and Manny Ramirez. They both had pitching machines set up to throw them that pitch repeatedly, perhaps Reimold can do the same.

Nolan Reimold went 0 for 5 yesterday and is now 0 for his last 16, batting average back down to .215 after climbing as high as .270. His chances of playing in Baltimore this April are growing dim.

Give me a break! If you think he makes or breaks the big league club based on what he does in the AFL, you've wasted 17,000 posts! But then again>:rolleyes:

Give me a break! If you think he makes or breaks the big league club based on what he does in the AFL, you've wasted 17,000 posts! But then again>:rolleyes:

One bad post wastes my other 16,999 brilliant insights? :eek:

Reimold can't make the big club based on what he does in the AFL, but he can certainly hurt his chances by showing that he's clearly not ready. Can you honestly say that whether he hits .200 or .400 against good minor league competition is going to have no impact on how hard a look he gets next spring?

As AZRon's posts illustrate, this isn't just about his numbers. It's that his numbers reflect that he has certain weaknesses that are being exploited. He's showing strong signs that he's simply not ready. Can he reverse that view with a strong spring training? Maybe, but I'm not betting that will happen.

One bad post wastes my other 16,999 brilliant insights? :eek:

Reimold can't make the big club based on what he does in the AFL, but he can certainly hurt his chances by showing that he's clearly not ready. Can you honestly say that whether he hits .200 or .400 against good minor league competition is going to have no impact on how hard a look he gets next spring?

As AZRon's posts illustrate, this isn't just about his numbers. It's that his numbers reflect that he has certain weaknesses that are being exploited. He's showing strong signs that he's simply not ready. Can he reverse that view with a strong spring training? Maybe, but I'm not betting that will happen.

I am not so sure it is a case of weaknesses exposed. Reimold has ALWAYS been an extremely streaky hitter. This goes all the way back to Bowling Green. I really doubt he goes through several week periods that pitchers magically stop making mistakes to him followed by weeks were every other pitcher makes mistake pitches to him. I have suspected a significant mechanical problem that he struggles with. I have even thought that i see a pattern over the past few years. He starts stroking the ball, then starts hitting the ball over the fence then starts missing every thing. He has even said that he starts jumping at the ball and trying to pull the ball too much from time to time. The test for him is to reduce the length of time he gets out of whack IMO. Remember most scouts had him much higher prior to his Jr season, but he had one of his awful period early that year. That period had such an effect on scouts opinion of him that it made the reports seem that scouts had actually observed different players. One scout would say this guy has some tools but he can't even make contact. Followed by a scout saying he is a 5 tool guy that can rake with huge power. Time will tell if he can be more consistant, but I think he has star ability if he can figure it out.

I am not so sure it is a case of weaknesses exposed. Reimold has ALWAYS been an extremely streaky hitter. This goes all the way back to Bowling Green. I really doubt he goes through several week periods that pitchers magically stop making mistakes to him followed by weeks were every other pitcher makes mistake pitches to him. I have suspected a significant mechanical problem that he struggles with. I have even thought that i see a pattern over the past few years. He starts stroking the ball, then starts hitting the ball over the fence then starts missing every thing. He has even said that he starts jumping at the ball and trying to pull the ball too much from time to time. The test for him is to reduce the length of time he gets out of whack IMO. Remember most scouts had him much higher prior to his Jr season, but he had one of his awful period early that year. That period had such an effect on scouts opinion of him that it made the reports seem that scouts had actually observed different players. One scout would say this guy has some tools but he can't even make contact. Followed by a scout saying he is a 5 tool guy that can rake with huge power. Time will tell if he can be more consistant, but I think he has star ability if he can figure it out.

I just wanted to acknowledge that you may be right about this.

But don't forget that he lost a lot of the past two seasons to injuries. His failure to be further along isn't entirely due to his own failings w/the bat.

No, but then again, frequent injury problems in a 24 year old are not exactly happy times.

Archived