Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?

ChaosLex

Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?

This poll is closed to new votes

I kinda hope he comes here for a ridiculous contract and goes all Mo Vaughn on us so some people will learn a lesson.

So far Mark Teixeira, Matt Holliday and Miguel Cabrera have made those afraid of LT deals look pretty foolish...

We had our chance to get all three. And the FA class of next offseason has lost AGon and Howard so now it's just Prince that is left.

Also Vaughn dropped off the cliff at 32. Prince would give us 4-5 years of peak performance under that model, so I doubt a lesson would be learned if he propelled us into a playoff team.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far Mark Teixeira, Matt Holliday and Miguel Cabrera have made those afraid of LT deals look pretty foolish...

We had our chance to get all three. And the FA class of next offseason has lost AGon and Howard so now it's just Prince that is left.

Then you must look foolish also, b/c you said you wouldn't sign Holliday for more than what he got.

Tex was disappointing last year, and doesn't figure to hold up over 8 years. Of course, we would have had to pay more than 8/180, but I'm not getting into that with you.

I'd like to see one bit of evidence that shows Miguel Cabrera was seriously on the market.

Then you must look foolish also, b/c you said you wouldn't sign Holliday for more than what he got.Tex was disappointing last year, and doesn't figure to hold up over 8 years. Of course, we would have had to pay more than 8/180, but I'm not getting into that with you.

I'd like to see one bit of evidence that shows Miguel Cabrera was seriously on the market.

I find it funny that he doesn't ever acknowledge this. His best deal was to offer Holliday less guaranteed money than he got.

Jtrea, you never seem to understand that its not the first 2-4 years of a deal people are worried about with these guys, its the last 3-4 years.

I find it funny that he doesn't ever acknowledge this. His best deal was to offer Holliday less guaranteed money than he got.

Actually he got less as he got deferred money. 6/119 guaranteed would have been more than the deal he got.

Jtrea, you never seem to understand that its not the first 2-4 years of a deal people are worried about with these guys, its the last 3-4 years.

The price of trying to compete. We've only got this core for another 2-4 years.

Blowing it up is not an option under Angelos, therefore you've got to go for it.

Also Vaughn dropped off the cliff at 32. Prince would give us 4-5 years of peak performance under that model, so I doubt a lesson would be learned if he propelled us into a playoff team.

I noticed you left off Figgins. ;):D

I wasn't the only one advocating Figgins, who I did back off later that offseason BTW.

And yes, there is a risk when you sign LT deals. But as I said you've got to pay to play.

Then why weren't you willing to pay Holliday more than he got?

This is just silly logic. Miguel Cabrera was signed longterm at the age of 25. I don't think you'll find too many people disagreeing with signing someone longterm at age 25. Matt Holliday is in his 2nd year of a longterm contract and he's on the DL. Mark Teixeira is in the third year of his longterm deal and has seen his numbers go down since year 1. Regardless he's on the Yankees, why would you choose them as an example for your argument?

This is just silly logic. Miguel Cabrera was signed longterm at the age of 25. I don't think you'll find too many people disagreeing with signing someone longterm at age 25. Matt Holliday is in his 2nd year of a longterm contract and he's on the DL. Mark Teixeira is in the third year of his longterm deal and has seen his numbers go down since year 1. Regardless he's on the Yankees, why would you choose them as an example for your argument?

Because he hopes no one looks at things a little deeper like you did?

As so astutely demonstrated, in no way will Fielder likely justify his next contract through on-field performance.

But what if he puts another 500K butts in the seats? Estimating incremental revenue of $40/fan, that's $20M in revenue.

What "some people" also don't understand is that Fielder is also a health risk. That body type won't hold up very long.

But "some people" will continue to ignore anything that doesn't jive with their mantras.

I'm not so sure the body type argument isn't a mantra-propper either.

Prince Fielder's year 28 season is next year. So far he's been a .926 hitter, and this year is over the 1.000 mark (with 2 already under his belt). At this point in his career, Mo Vaughn was a .887 hitter with zero 1.000 seasons. Fielder has been a better hitter.

Also, Mo Vaughn produced a 1.003, .980, and .993 in his 28-30 seasons. He was solid even after that, at .866 and .864. He got injured in his 33 season, but in his 34 season put up a still respectable .805. That's 6 seasons of solid production - he didn't just fall off a cliff.

Ryan Howard is a similar body type that has put up .881, .931, .859 in his 28-30 seasons. Now in his 31 season, he is right around .800.

Cecil Fielder, a far lesser hitter than his son (but same genes), put up .783, .832, .840, .818, .834 in his 28-32 seasons.

Carlos Delgado was a big fellow too, and he put up 1.134, .948, .955, 1.019, .907, .981, and .909 from 28-34.

I'm not worried about the weight. Big guys don't hold up or perform any better or worse than anyone else. Is Jason Bay fat? Is Chone Figgins? Of course there are risks, but the weight thing isn't a big one in my opinion.

Actually he got less as he got deferred money. 6/119 guaranteed would have been more than the deal he got.
It doesn't matter...He got more guaranteed money than you were willing to offer him. He also went to a place that is a contender year in and year out and not in a tough division. You have said you wouldn't go 7/140 on him and that is very likely what it takes to get him here(see what it took to get Werth to DC). So, stop bringing him up as someone you feel we missed out on because you would have missed out on him too.
Blowing it up is not an option under Angelos, therefore you've got to go for it.

Doing just enough to make it look like he is trying is the only option under PA. You continue to give him a pass but you have no idea what you are talking about. Of all the crazy things you say on here, your admiration for PA and giving him a pass is by far and away the worst thing you think/write/talk about.

For those people who do not want to pay Prince Fielder, what is your plan to make this team better? We probably have 20 rbi's at first base this year. Mets, Yankees, and Red sox are out of the bidding since they all have long term first baseman. That is the three largest markets in baseball. Mets will not be any more with madolf scandal. If we go up to 200 million and the Nats outbid, I will be happy. I guess Boog Powell was skinny, Big Papi, and same with Babe Ruth

Archived