9th Round - Devin Jones - RHP - Mississippi State University

The SDN Bulldog Blog chatted with Jones, a 49th-round selection out of Eupora High School three years ago by the Cleveland Indians, about what he’s hearing about his draft stock this season.

Jones has spoken to representatives of over 20 clubs and could be a highly valued prospect that could see a six-figure signing bonus despite a rocky collegiate career.

“I would think so and I’m not sure that’s not the best thing for him because he’s got super talent,” Mississippi State head coach John Cohen said. “I think that’s pretty obvious scouts love his fastball and slider combination.”

Jones told The SDN Bulldog Blog Monday he’s been told he could be taken anywhere from rounds 4-10 Tuesday.

“If I’m taken early (Tuesday) it will probably be Baltimore because I think I’ve spoken to everyone in their front office practically and they’ve told me they may take me really high,” Jones said.

Jones, who opened the 2011 season as the MSU Opening Day starter, is 2-5 with a 4.45 earned run average in his new role as one of the Bulldogs top middle relievers out of the bullpen.

http://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/a-preview-of-how-the-2011-mlb-draft-could-affect-mississippi-states-baseball-future/?amp

Another bullpen arm:

Hard-throwing junior righty from nearby Eupora, Miss., seasoned with 52 career innings pitched, fourth-most on the staff • Has registered 44 strikeouts in 32 career appearances, seven as a starter, with two wins, a save and an 8.65 earned run average • One of 14 current Bulldogs who have earned SEC Academic Honor Roll status during their career.

Above is a 2010 recap.

Saw him pitch in person against the Florida Gators on Saturday. He seemed to have decent stuff but he could not spot the fastball to save his life that day.

Could have just been a bad day though?

Maybe, but there's also a reason why a guy with a good arm is available in the 9th round.

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=11851

"Jones will receive a signing bonus expected to be $97,500. He'll have incentives in his contract that will alter the value of his deal as he moves through Baltimore's minor league system. The Orioles also will pay for three years of school."

Based on this link from Baseball America this seems to be just about slot.

Archived