It's time for Andy to get "MacPhailed"

JTrea81

JTrea is right guys.

Whether it happens now or at the end of the season, MacPhail doesn't deserve to be back. His time in Baltimore has been a McFailure.

Wow Sean ....I got a warning for calling AM names last year...So be prepared it's coming.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Name a better GM than MacPhail that Angelos would actually hire, and maybe I'll be with you.

I certainly don't think MacPhail is the guy to get the team where it needs to go, but I'd just as soon have him stay in 'til PA is gone than watch some other Angelos hire undo what progress has been done. It's not that the Orioles haven't improves under AM, because they have. However, our rate or progression is much slower than the other teams in our division, and since they're already ahead of us, we're still losing ground.

Trea already said he wants Brian Cashman. Couple that hiring with a doubling of our overall budget and we have a clear path to contention. It's so easy even I can see the logic.

Yeah he threw a lot of stones early. Yeah he shot way too many bullets. Now I am just tired of saying he is crazy. I dont care anymore. MacPhail can go hang for all I care now. At some point you have to say this IS the team he put together. We still are losers, our minor leagues still suck. Who can we blame now?

If Angelos cant win then he should sell. But he wont. It is sticking in his craw. He desperately doesnt want the first thing in his Obit or his Wiki page to say. Long time Owner of the Orioles. Ruined a model franchise.

Ha Ha... might be a little late for that. Dude's in his early 80s... and unless he's going to make it another 10+ years, the "model franchise" isn't exactly close to turning around and becoming a model franchise again.

I'm not saying MacPhail has done a superb job with this team making it go from worst to first (because he hasn't), but I just don't see how he could have made more talent come through the system faster. Look at Tampa's rebuild. It was basically going on through their inception.

I can't see him being a failure. I could agree with him getting a C grade so far for his tenure. Like always, us fans overhyped him. After his (at the time) fleecing of the Astros and Mariners in 2 deals in the '07-'08 offseason, we had high hopes that he could turn it around very quickly. I will admit that I thought so too (just like I thought Wieters would come up here and eat pitchers for breakfast). He even admitted it wouldn't be quick and yet people still expect more (and really, that's no one's fault except PA's due to a horrid 14 year stretch).

I'm not saying MacPhail has done a superb job with this team making it go from worst to first (because he hasn't), but I just don't see how he could have made more talent come through the system faster. Look at Tampa's rebuild. It was basically going on through their inception.

I can't see him being a failure. I could agree with him getting a C grade so far for his tenure. Like always, us fans overhyped him. After his (at the time) fleecing of the Astros and Mariners in 2 deals in the '07-'08 offseason, we had high hopes that he could turn it around very quickly. I will admit that I thought so too (just like I thought Wieters would come up here and eat pitchers for breakfast). He even admitted it wouldn't be quick and yet people still expect more (and really, that's no one's fault except PA's due to a horrid 14 year stretch).

No, he can't make drafted talent come through the minors faster, but he could avoid signing high priced relievers who also cost us draft picks. He could have avoided the bargain basement bats for purchase. I know drafting itself is Jordan's territory, but AM has cost us some picks so that he could sign guys like Vlad, Gregg, and Gonzo.

The minors are in slightly better shape now than they were before MacPhail... but it's not like we have a stock system. We went from almost completely barren to having a couple nice pieces... and that's it.

I can see both sides of this argument to be honest. How many years does a GM get before he is actually judged on wins and losses? The Orioles have a chance to once again draft in the top 5 in baseball. That means that there was an epic fail in terms of results. When do results start to matter?

There is so many things still wrong with how the Orioles do things that any real improvement moving forward seems like a wash. At some point the Orioles are going to need to pick a real direction. Either deal the older verterans, sign stop gaps and put a lot more money into the scouting, the draft, international markets and player development or go all in on some of the guys that hit the open market.

I see the Orioles bringing up 2-3 solid guys every 2-3 years and that might be a good plan if the team can draft like a wizard for the next 3-5 years, but it just seems like the end is not anywhere in sight. Looking at the current roster there are a ton of guys that might not contribute next year much less when we are ready to compete.

Gonzalez

Gregg

Lee

Guerrero

Roberts

Bergesen and Tillman might not ever pan into the backend of the rotation like we planned and those guys are not getting any younger. Arrieta looks like a #4 or #5 starter at this point and Guthrie might not be around in two years and even if he is, what is he contributing?

Adam Jones is going to need to be extended and he will not be cheap. Matt Wieters is not going to be cheap even if he will only be a great defensive catcher and hit a little compared to his peers. The Orioles are not in good shape, but with some smart moved and good luck we could possibly turn it around in 2 or 3 years.

4 years ago the Orioles were floundering, and rumors were spreading about Sam Perlozzo's status as manager.

Out of the blue though, Peter Angelos hired Andy MacPhail to be the President of Baseball Operations and made Mike Flanagan and Jim Duquette glorified coffee runners.

Perlozzo was fired, but it was the hiring of MacPhail that was to signify the "shakeup" of the front office. Flanagan remained employed by the Orioles for the duration of his contract in some unknown capacity while Jim Duquette quit at the end of the year.

Here we are now 4 years later under the magnificent plan to "grow the arms and buy the bats." and we are just about in the same place. Our farm system is just about the same and the bats have been bargain bin specials. There is no vision right now and the club just seems content to just continue to plug holes and hope for the best on a year-to-year basis.

It's time for PGA to once again dethrone our GM and relegate him to the background. Maybe he can sell sweater vests in the Orioles team store. John Hart could be a possiblity IMO as his contract was made with the previous ownership group and not this one, so they might be willing to let him out of it. In any case, it's time for a change at the top so that we have some coherent vision heading into this offseason instead of scrambling for a GM and then trying to implement their plan.

JTrea is right guys.

Whether it happens now or at the end of the season, MacPhail doesn't deserve to be back. His time in Baltimore has been a McFailure.

Wait, hold on. Trea now hates MacPhail, and NMS is pessimistic? WHAT KIND OF BIZARRO WORLD ARE WE LIVING IN??????????

Plus one has to ask, "what does Petey think of all of this?" It has to be a major ego brusie when you have so many losing seasons. I'm sure he'd like to win, but is there a point where he just said "hell with it"? I think so, after the Tejada contract. Wasn't that the point when he said no more big contracts? Then being spurned by Tex after a big Orioles offer, Petey once again probably got pissed. We obviously can't land big players due to our team, & not the money. The O's need some major PR over anything, at least just to show other teams that we are attempting to rebuild/win. I know Petey is up there in age, but showing your face once in a while & doing some interviews may actually make the world of difference in provong your case.

4 years ago the Orioles were floundering, and rumors were spreading about Sam Perlozzo's status as manager.

Out of the blue though, Peter Angelos hired Andy MacPhail to be the President of Baseball Operations and made Mike Flanagan and Jim Duquette glorified coffee runners.

Perlozzo was fired, but it was the hiring of MacPhail that was to signify the "shakeup" of the front office. Flanagan remained employed by the Orioles for the duration of his contract in some unknown capacity while Jim Duquette quit at the end of the year.

Here we are now 4 years later under the magnificent plan to "grow the arms and buy the bats." and we are just about in the same place. Our farm system is just about the same and the bats have been bargain bin specials. There is no vision right now and the club just seems content to just continue to plug holes and hope for the best on a year-to-year basis.

It's time for PGA to once again dethrone our GM and relegate him to the background. Maybe he can sell sweater vests in the Orioles team store. John Hart could be a possiblity IMO as his contract was made with the previous ownership group and not this one, so they might be willing to let him out of it. In any case, it's time for a change at the top so that we have some coherent vision heading into this offseason instead of scrambling for a GM and then trying to implement their plan.

You are certainly in your element when things are not going well. Even if you are right about a thing or two, it would fall under the "stopped clock" model.

Well, to answer this, I would like to know what he plans to do between now and the deadline.

If he plans to make a bunch of trades, i would be ok with AM being the one to execute those trades.

If he plans on staying pat, then he should be fired yesterday.

Maybe you can start a petition. How did that work last time?

but AM has cost us some picks so that he could sign guys like Vlad, Gregg, and Gonzo.

Neither Vlad nor Gregg cost a pick. Actually I think Gonzalez is the only guy I've he's signed who did, and I think we can all agree that was a disaster of a signing.

I think MacPhail's done a decent job considering what he started with, the man he works for, and the competitive situation he's in. As another poster mentioned, I'd give him a solid C. Which is not good enough in the this division, but probably is as good as we're going to get until a new owner comes along one way or the other.

Archived